PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Hi all!

I'm currently searching for a good pipe lighter. You might wonder what this has to do with the subject, but we'll get into that. I decided on the best lighter for my use, but then, actually after making my decision, I googled The best pipe lighter for blind pipe smoker. I found a thread on this forum.
First time ever I was a bit disappointed for the answers on this forum. There were good answers too, and I don't mean to be rude or any way agressive, but the answers that blindpiper777 got generally weren't very encouraging (not pointing to anyone). Of course I understand that it's hard to imagine doing complicated things without seeing - even simple things, apparently - but there we need either deep understanding or vivid imagination. I'm afraid it's too late to help blindpiper777 on the topic. I hope he's still smoking happily. But in case anyone will search for help about smoking pipe as a blind person, I decided he must have a little more couraging things to read.
I'm my self visually impaired - in medical terms blind - but I can see a little bit. I have been smoking pipe something like five years now, and though being quite newbie still, I have some tips that might be helpful. I also hope that folks in general would read this, and if asked, they can then give good adwice as well. And of course, this might increase the level of understanding towards blind people, and narrow the gap between those who can and cannot see.
One last thing. Someone thought - or had read - that the pleasure of smoking a pipe would decrease because of blindness. Of course I can't compare, but likely it suffices to say that I have spent so many euphoric moments smoking that I must really heavily disagree on my part. And even if it would, what does it matter, really? Would you stop smoking, if you became blind? That's what I thought... :)

And now to the real thing!

Basically there is just one main issue when smoking, if you are blind. That's lighting the pipe, and funnily enough, it is solved quite easily, though you need to make some concessions. Let's first get over packing and cleaning, because they have much less to tell about.
Packing a pipe is as simple as it is with a good vision: that is a bit tricky, but it comes with practice. It has more to do with feeling the tightness than seeing it, so just follow good packing instructions, which can be found easily in various places.
Same goes for cleaning the pipe. Just follow the instructions. I was myself a bit worried of my first briar; what if I wouldn't notice the amount of cace, and what if it got too big nad cracked my bowl? It didn't. It didn't take too much to find out that the bowl had narrowed, and when my finger started to scratch walls when I dipped it in, I made a good cleaning. Anyway, that's not a problem, I think.
The lighting part, then. I have rejected the matches without even trying - that's my concession. I guess I could use them, but would likely to burn either my fingers or the rim of the pipe, neither of which attracts me. I have used Colt lighter, and a couple of cheap pipe lighters as well. The main thing is that the lighting is easy, if you have a lighter that you can use with one hand, and keep it just in one place when litting. After putting pipe into my mouth, I just locate the lighter just over the bowl, lit and draw, and smoke happily. Never have I scarred the rims of my pipes. My thumb, though, has gotten a couple of stings... :) Anyway, the lighters that need to be lit and then put over the pipe are tricky, so you will make yourself big favour by avoiding them, unless you are very skilled and want to challenge yourself.
It is impossible to not notice if your pipe has gone out. If you draw and don't get any smoke, it is time do either tamp gently or relight - that's what I do, anyway. Then just go on puffing.

I hope this will be help to anyone who next will search for help. If this isn't welcome here, I trust moderators will remove it, not me. :D

Happy smoking to everyone! And remember: even if you can't see something, such as smoke coming out from your pipe, doesn't mean it wouldn't be there... :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well...

I'm surprised that I didn't make some wise-assed crack in that older thread, but maybe that's because I'm partially blind in one eye. The pupil in my right eye is stuck half-way open. So, under normal interior room light, I'm OK, but in sunlight, or darkness, I can't see a thing. Sunglasses help somewhat in bright light, but in darkness, I'm monocular.

My real experience here, the experience that has anything at all to do with your plight whatsoever, comes from smoking in the car (while driving). I can find my pipe bag, open a tin or jar, pack a pipe and light it without taking my eyes off the road. I feel for the rim of the pipe with my index finger, keep the lighter moving, and keep puffing. This helps to avoid rim charring, but I think that's neither here, nor there, if you can't see the damage that you've done. You just don't concern yourself with it. For that matter, you could just stick to cobs. They've cheap, lightweight, smoke great, and look even better with some rim char, if you care about that.

The real question that I have is telling one blend tin or jar from another. Do you have a braille label printer? Do you stick to just a few dissimilar blends that you can identify by smell? Do you just not concern yourself with the differentiation and take it as it comes?

Either way, except for the occasional singed finger, I can see no reason why a sight-impaired person can't fully enjoy a pipe. Maybe even more so, without the visual distractions that add nothing to flavor and aroma.

Last edited:

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Goot thoughts!
I just have a packet of tobacco going at a time, and when there is some bowlfuls left I go to store to buy the next. If I had to choose from different jars, though, I'd either write braille notes to them - I have a small tool I can do that easily - or use Text grabber app on my iPhone for it to read me out which is what.

The braille tool by the way is a small nail kind of thing and a flat... well, my English lets me down here... kind of small boxes side by side and up and down. Then you just press nail to inpress single dots to make regular and neat braille writing.

About the cobs: I totally agree. I have some, and like them a lot. But I have briars also, and though I don't see the rim - at least not if I don't take very, very close look - I somehow prefer keeping them good-looking. Well, that's of course a matter of taste as well, what's good looking and what's not. :) I suppose I just would like the look of them more not charred, so I want to keep them that way. Funny thought...

I can think of several obstacle for blind people when it comes to pipe smoking.
First, knowing the the lighter is lit. I mean, outside of burning a finger on it.
Second, knowing when the pipe goes out. As clencher, when I am not paying attention to it, I can sometimes continue to get flavor from a warm bowl for a while after the bowl has finished. I imagine it would be tough knowing when it has gone out for someone who is visually challenged.
Third, Finding the damn pipe if you lay it down. Even being able to see, I sometimes will spend a lot of time just looking for my pipe. Maybe blind people have that extra sense where they don't lose things... I don't know.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I would think a I.M. Corona Pipemaster might be a good lighter choice for someone who is vision impaired. Because of its design it is pretty easy to get it oriented properly in the hand by touch so you always know which direction the flame is pointing and it lights very easily with one downward click. Re filling it with fuel or changing the flint would however be very difficult I imagine without some assistance.B7F2E274-0364-4B37-A311-4CF89F79C1B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Things I think about, with a likely insensitive bias, if I were to be blinded:

Fire is so quiet that I’d be worried about handling things in my home like zippo fluid.
I suppose a butane lighter, bic, or matches would be my preference. Matches probably.

I’d think about a meer so I don’t have to worry about scorching the rim.

I would worry about embers falling out and smoldering somewhere, so be careful where I’d choose to enjoy my pipe.

Or use a hookah? That is an interesting thought.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I would think a I.M. Corona Pipemaster might be a good lighter choice for someone who is vision impaired. Because of its design it is pretty easy to get it oriented properly in the hand by touch so you always know which direction the flame is pointing and it lights very easily with one downward click. Re filling it with fuel or changing the flint would however be very difficult I imagine without some assistance.View attachment 218125
That model will never need the flint changed, it doesn’t use one. It has a piezo igniter. Might be another advantage of this model for the vision impaired.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hi all!

First time ever I was a bit disappointed for the answers on this forum. There were good answers too, and I don't mean to be rude or any way agressive, but the answers that blindpiper777 got generally weren't very encouraging (not pointing to anyone). Of course I understand that it's hard to imagine doing complicated things without seeing - even simple things, apparently - but there we need either deep understanding or vivid imagination. I'm afraid it's too late to help blindpiper777 on the topic. I hope he's still smoking happily. But in case anyone will search for help about smoking pipe as a blind person, I decided he must have a little more couraging things to read.
I read through the entire thread you cited. There's no aspect of it being "too late to help" and that's unfair. The individual who started that thread reported more than once that he was pleased with the help he got and actually got the help he was looking for and was able to get his journey going. Mission accomplished. Contrary to your suggestions, the answers were almost 100% encouraging, helpful and empathetic, the one or two exceptions not borne out of any ill will or smart aleck stuff, just one or two things that innocently got crossed. As he said, "This is the most accepting group of pipe smokers I've ever had the pleasure of talking with."

I don't have any insight into your challenges but am certain you'll continue to get positive responses. That's generally how this place operates in my experience and I'm defending it a bit because I think you took the thread out of context.

Best of luck!

I read through the entire thread you cited. There's no aspect of it being "too late to help" and that's unfair. The individual who started that thread reported more than once that he was pleased with the help he got and actually got the help he was looking for and was able to get his journey going. Mission accomplished. Contrary to your suggestions, the answers were almost 100% encouraging, helpful and empathetic, the one or two exceptions not borne out of any ill will or smart aleck stuff, just one or two things that innocently got crossed. As he said, "This is the most accepting group of pipe smokers I've ever had the pleasure of talking with."

I don't have any insight into your challenges but am certain you'll continue to get positive responses. That's generally how this place operates in my experience and I'm defending it a bit because I think you took the thread out of context.

Best of luck!
I just reread the thread too (7 years ago), and I thought we were thoughtful and very helpful.
I don't want to over-encourage anyone into smoking. I mean, I will help when asked, and try my best to give a reasonable and hopefully helpful response. If anyone of age and means to support themself into this hobby, I will. However, if someone seems reluctant, too young, or can't afford the products to have a reasonably positive experience, then maybe it's not right for them. But, here in this thread, I don't see (oh, pardon me) whereas blindness would hinder someone from enjoying pipe smoking.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018

Best of luck!
You're propably right and I'm a bit jumpy when it comes to this subject. My apologies to everyone who might feel bad. Now that I read the thread to the end it really got better. First time I read it I could't make myself read to the end - my fault. Still, I agree that this is the best, friendliest and most helpful place because of members who write here.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
That model will never need the flint changed, it doesn’t use one. It has a piezo igniter. Might be another advantage of this model for the vision impaired.
That's actually what I decided to get. Despite the fact that when reading about them 80% of opinions were that piezos break sooner or later and there is no cure. ;D But I think I'll take the risk, and hope that inevitable - and that it is, nothing lasts... - will happen just later.
Thanks for Chasing Embers of Zippo tip. I considered that as well, but wasn't quite sure how handy Zippos are... Well, maybe the next good lighter will be that one. ...When the piezo will break... :D

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The original thread had a lot of encouragement, but also a ton of cautions, a bit old lady-like. I've worked with several organizations for the blind and have faith in anyone being able to smoke a pipe safely..

After the PipeMaster I'd get a BiC. I dislike the odors from lighter fluid.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Zippos with pipe inserts are great for lighting overly forward canted bowls like a cutty without actually seeing the tobacco.

View attachment 218118
I have to second the Zippo idea. They light very reliably, so you can count on a single flick leading to a flame. The top has an edge that you can bring up to the edge of a normal bowl with 1/4 inch rim and it will be right over the bowl without charring the rest. And finally when you flick it shut, you don't need to get close to the flame and you can hear that it is extinguished and safe.

As for refilling, I am sure you can have someone assist with this at a suitable interval depending on how much you smoke. When the flint goes bad, you can feel that immediately.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
In my opinion……

The only safety related thought I would have is that at least for a fair amount of time initially a very visually impaired person may want a “spotter” if they are lighting their pipe…. especially indoors. There can sparks that occasionally occur. When they land on self, you know it, but a person with a severe sight issue may not be able to see a spark go off onto a couch, carpet etc.

In terms of the lighter….. with Zippos and Bics and matches….. I can hear them. I have fairly strong hearing for a sighted person (perhaps because I am QUITE myopic), and I can hear the sound of combustion. I would anticipate many visually impaired folks’ hearing is even more sensitive than mine.

To me, the actual smoking of the pipe….. I would probably guess a visually impaired person may likely find MORE flavor, textures, and the like from smoking a pipe…… so that would be a likely benefit.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
That's actually what I decided to get. Despite the fact that when reading about them 80% of opinions were that piezos break sooner or later and there is no cure. ;D But I think I'll take the risk, and hope that inevitable - and that it is, nothing lasts... - will happen just later.
Thanks for Chasing Embers of Zippo tip. I considered that as well, but wasn't quite sure how handy Zippos are... Well, maybe the next good lighter will be that one. ...When the piezo will break... :D
I would think filling a zippo would be the biggest obstacle for someone with no or limited sight. The best trick I could think that might help would be to figure out how many seconds it took to refill it. I want to say a 5-6 second stream should take it from empty to full but I haven’t actually counted. Which is odd because I used to bartend & I catch myself counting how long it takes to fill things with liquid. 🤣
Other than that, a zippo is a great option. Fairly simple design, very few moving parts, easy to light with 1 hand, & guaranteed forever. Plus they just sound cool when you open them!
Regardless, I hope you find an option that works for you & that you continue to enjoy your pipes.

Reactions: mithridate