PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I was just at my local B&M to pick up some flints and saw a shelf bursting with Mcclelland tins.
$95 for a 100g tin of 40th

$45 for all 50g tins
Control group:
$45 for a 50g tin of Full Virginia Flake
So... while your eyes have been popping out of your heads over the run on latest Mcclelland offers, have a good laugh at the fact that these prices are what people in Canada have been paying all along. If they knew these were being discontinued, maybe it'd be $200 for a 100g tin.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
No. I don't care much for the blends, but if someone else here does, I don't want to be responsible for them getting gouged even more than they already are. It is still less expensive to order online though.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I stopped in at my local Canadian shop the other day. Prices were almost the same, a little more for some blends.
I chatted a while about it, they were completely aware of the McClelland situation and weren't jacking up the prices at least.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dang, to allow your country to destroy business like that? What a shame. But hey, we aren't to far behind you in the States.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I called a B&M in downtown Chicago today. He called his supplier for me. Got 3 tins of Butura Royal Vintage Dark Stoved and 3 tins of Eric Nording Hunter Series Beagle waiting on hold for me for pickup tomorrow....$14-15 per tin. Not a bad markup for B&M seeing as how they are now extinct online.

I never knew McClelland made Nordings until today. A tobaccoreviews.com search of McClelland as manufacturer does not turn up Nording, but if you go straight to the Nording tobacco listing, McClelland shows up as the manufacturer. Sweet, and SCORE.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Yep. I know a store in Canada with bunch of Cheer and other 100g tins. $100 a tin, that's regular price. A tin of MB Plumcake is almost $90 after taxes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Makes me think of people who went to Russia in the 80's with lots of bluejeans to trade or sell.
I've seen enough TV shows as to how to hide my tobacco the next time I drive to Canada.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
There's no doubt that tax hikes work.

Current tobacco tax here in Australia is $1/gram. ..... $1000/kg. And legislation mandates that it goes up 12.5% per year.

The number of tobacco smokers here is non existent compared to even just 10 years ago. People just can't afford to smoke.
I've always been surprised that it isn't taxed more heavily in the US.... its unlike any government to let a tax opportunity go by.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Well, it seems to come down to the Tyranny of the Majority.
‘Tax the other guy, just not the things I like.’
We pipe smokers are a much smaller group than in the past, so we are an easy target. There is little costs to politicians for doing so.
Of course, it always comes down to the money - though the ‘tax ‘em’ crowd always claims noble intentions.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I can't believe how cheap pipe tobacco is in the States."
Same here. When one considers all the work involved at the growers end (sowing seed, planting out, weeding, harvesting etc) then you get the processors who deal with the trimming, sweating, smoking, casing etc. After all of that the blending and canning so at the end of the day the leaf has passed through so many hands over a long period of time and of course everyone takes a cut of the value.
It really is astonishing (to me at least) that it can be sold so cheaply considering all the effort and expenses involved from field to tin.
Regards,
Jay.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I for one have never complained at the prices of pipe tobacco. Having been a big cigar smoker who smoked 4-5 cigars a day my costs shrunk a huge amount when I went pipe only. A 50 gram tin of expensive tobacco cost me around 10.00 a tin and I can get 12 4 gram smokes out of one tin. It costs maybe .80 cents for a 1.5-2 hour smoke. My cigars ranged from 5-13 a stick so even when I might splurge for a 25 dollar aged tin, I am still way ahead of the game.
I feel badly for all of the people outside the US who have to pay ridiculous prices, it just isn't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.