PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
2D4190F0-AA53-4F58-9CF6-86DC8CFC2076.jpeg6C47FC11-EF8D-4897-A080-86D0E7B021BC.jpegCD02A9E1-7A96-4056-979C-2BFA6A4E6187.jpeg519F8C29-11DE-4F80-9313-DF21AB98B4CD.jpegI might be wrong, but I think this maybe mystery is solved by the fact that this pipe is found in Japan. Here is a Stanwell Vario with a Regd. No. on it. First of all, I don’t see any evidence that various were made in the patent era. Second of all I’m positive that this is an acrylic stem and pretty sure it’s NOT a replacement either. Thoughts? I think the answer might be that weird things happen in Japan or, more correctly, licensing or some such requirements were different here.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maybe a box of old bowls from the patent era were left in a box due to defects and many years later someone sandblasted those defects, put mouthpieces on them and released them for sale.
A lot is happening with French pipes that they find old bowl boxes and make pipes

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
View attachment 195211View attachment 195212View attachment 195214View attachment 195215I might be wrong, but I think this maybe mystery is solved by the fact that this pipe is found in Japan. Here is a Stanwell Vario with a Regd. No. on it. First of all, I don’t see any evidence that various were made in the patent era. Second of all I’m positive that this is an acrylic stem and pretty sure it’s NOT a replacement either. Thoughts? I think the answer might be that weird things happen in Japan or, more correctly, licensing or some such requirements were different here.
in that last picture I see a crack where the stem goes into the stummel. I hope it's not as bad as it looks. Sorry if you didn't see it before. Please say I did and it's actually extremely superficial and the pipe is fine and will stay fine.

Reactions: milk

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
in that last picture I see a crack where the stem goes into the stummel. I hope it's not as bad as it looks. Sorry if you didn't see it before. Please say I did and it's actually extremely superficial and the pipe is fine and will stay fine.
Yes. I don’t find this to be an issue. Thanks for mentioning it. Actually, this pipe is extremely solid and sturdy. There is this nick. I would describe it more as a nick since the pipe is actually so solid feeling. I almost wonder if this is there on purpose as it’s not so different than the sandblasting itself and there are even rough edges like this inside the stummel in other spots. It doesn’t look scratched; it looks slightly blasted. When you hold the pipe, you feel how solid it is. The bigger issue for this pipe is whether it’s been over-reamed a bit. It has a very large bowl actually. I sent it to Smokingpipes and they rejected it not because of the nick but because they seem to think it’s over-reamed or has chamber damage. I don’t think it’s that bad. I actually think this is a very beautiful and interesting pipe and if it had a vulcanite stem I’d probably try to keep it and smoke it. The grain of the sandblast is interesting and I’m still not satisfied with the mystery of the regd. number.

Last edited:

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
It’s definitely a crack and removing ang re-inserting the stem will aggravate it

Simple job to glue and have it banded
I disagree. When you physically deal with the pipe, you can see and feel that this is a nick; it has no chance of spreading. The shank is very solid. I’ve dealt with cracks before - recently in my Kriswill: every time you insert the stem you can feel the structural vulnerability of the pipe and the crack indeed goes all the way through. This Vario is a beast. What you’re seeing I have no explanation for as it it’s not like my Kriswill: something that could have happened as a result of inserting the stem into a pipe that happened to weaken. This Stanwell isn’t weak; that nick would have to have been purposefully cut there by a strong person with a knife, which I doubt. It will not get any bigger and banding it serves no purpose whatsoever.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I disagree. When you physically deal with the pipe, you can see and feel that this is a nick; it has no chance of spreading. The shank is very solid. I’ve dealt with cracks before - recently in my Kriswill: every time you insert the stem you can feel the structural vulnerability of the pipe and the crack indeed goes all the way through. This Vario is a beast. What you’re seeing I have no explanation for as it it’s not like my Kriswill: something that could have happened as a result of inserting the stem into a pipe that happened to weaken. This Stanwell isn’t weak; that nick would have to have been purposefully cut there by a strong person with a knife, which I doubt. It will not get any bigger and banding it serves no purpose whatsoever.
Pleased to hear that it is only superficial 👍

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Pleased to hear that it is only superficial 👍
Thanks. But there’s still some chamber damage I guess - which is the reason Smokingpipes doesn’t want it. I don’t think it’s a lot of chamber damage, maybe just a bit over-reamed. I just don’t like acrylic stems. I’m still not satisfied with the answer about the patent number. It’s weird. I was kind of hoping Smokingpipes would find it interesting. I’ve searched the internet and I can’t find evidence Varios we’re made in that era and I’m almost positive this stem is original.
The more I think about it, the more Alejo’s response seems like it makes the most sense? Maybe this stummel was sitting around from the patent era? Isn’t there a Stanwell maven somewhere who’d be interested in this conundrum? Where is the person who really knows about the history of Stanwell?