PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I bet it will,I am for sure done using the oil for a while.This one will soon join the rotation but the bowl is HUGE though... its like a pot o' gold! Not only is it deep it is wide!
3 hour smoke anyone?? :rofl:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Heh Roth I was thinking that.
I remember once after making a large batch of salsa I rubbed my eye and it teared up for over an hour. I had even washed my hands with soap before that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the pipe turned out very nicely. For those who are worried about oil becoming rancid over time,

olive oil is loaded with anti-oxidants, which makes it the preferred oil to treat wood. However, you can

mix in 2% vitamin E from gel caps (α-tocopherol) for even greater anti-oxidant protection. Personally, I'm

a carnauba wax guy -- no oils.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Nice job redbeard!

Just my 2 cents on oil...

I'm a woodworking teacher, so I do a lot of cutting boards. I used to use olive oil, but needed an oil that wouldn't "turn". For the last 20 years I've been using mineral oil. It goes on well, hold-up a bit longer, and is stable. Since it is scent-free, I even use it to lube my deer stands, straight razors, and fillet knives!
I just rusticated my old college pipe (because the shanked cracked, and the glue joint still showed a bit), used some mineral oil, a quick buff, and it matched my pipe exactly.

rusticated-pipe-447x600.jpg

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the tips and compliments all :) it is actually still darkening a little bit (to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.