PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've got the same strategy, yet my total pipes seem to grow...(and you are an enabler!)

Listening to Rob Cooper's interview yesterday made me think about this some more - he feels a pipe isn't broken in until 50+ bowls. It takes me quite a while to get 50 bowls on a particular pipe. His comment that collectors find a pipe they want, break it in, then move on to the next conquest. I'm guilty of that buy trying to change. I did a purge a few weeks ago, that funded new suspension pieces, wheels and tires for my MGB, so a good outcome.
Stay the course!

Oct 7, 2016
Al, I think Rob has a point, I think one MSO 489 was also making. Not sure it takes 50 bowls. I have a Ser Jacopo Jucunda that I got new last fall. After a couple of dozen bowls, it crossed over into "OMG, why am I smoking anything else?" territory, where it has remained. I can't seem to go more than three or four days without smoking it And it was a good smoke from the first bowl, as previous experience from the old days led me to expect.
But that is no help to PAD. Within two weeks of that Eureka moment I had 3 more new ones. And a gorgeous horn Delecta estate.
Pray for me.

Oct 7, 2016
And Al, I have to question selling pipes to fund car parts. You have no idea of the Castello's I could have found for you.
Hope that kk65 is still to your liking. If not...

(See how bad I have it?)

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
My wife and I had a similar rule when we lived onboard our boat. Space was an issue, so if you brought something aboard something had to go.
With pipes it seems that buy one then a couple more to keep it company is more the case. I invariably but two or three others when I buy one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, Searock! This KKKK is similar to mine, but there's no light panel on the shank. And I forget whether the K's indicate size or quality, or.....?
castello-sea-rock-briar-kkkk.jpg

Oct 7, 2016
Al, the army mount? Bollito has some 2k Sea Rocks up also, didn't know you were interested in straight ones
@jpmcwjr, the k's are for size in Sea Rocks, Natural Virgins and Old Antiquari. Nice pipe.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Adding to the above, K's represent grade in smooth pipes. Usually. Sometimes Castello stamping gets a bit wonky depending on how much wine is served with lunch.
Edit: I really dig that pipe.
AL, you should totally go for that second new Castello. Who knows when you'll find one like that again.

Oct 7, 2016
Al, I thought the swirl stem would be to avant garde for you. Had you pegged as a traditionalist. But it would be my choice.
@jpmcwjr, I am in a bit of a rush and don't have time to find and link it, but briarblues has a pretty good summary of Castello grading on his site. But as big pond says, they drink wine with lunch. Or for lunch.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I apologize for my last statement, I didnt mean to offend anyone. Post was deleted by me.
But since I know what the thread is about now, I dont believe in the one in one out idea. But I am working on a one in, the rest out lifestyle. Plus or minus maybe one. I have 11 pipes and believe thats too many. I can only smoke one at a time...

Oct 7, 2016
didimauw, I guess I should be the one apologizing. The ambiguity in my initial post was intentional. All in fun, I hope. But the one in one out rule as a means of dealing with PAD has been mentioned before, somewhere
There is an old saying about pipes:eek:ne is too many​,a thousand is not enough.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Everyone once in a while an artsy stem catches my eye. (I have one Askwith with a cream colored stem).
I do like the Castello's with white stems and that black bar, but don't look for one for me! (at least not for a few months...)

Oct 7, 2016
Al, those white stems bring back some memories, which I won't go into in detail, but the first one ai ever saw, a Sea Rock, changed hands at a show in the 90's for $6-800 as memory serves Within a couple of years, every Castello collector in the country had at least one.
They are being more and more creative with stem color right now, which is actually kind of a throwback to the early days. Glad to see it.
As a pipe scout, I guess I should retire. Batting a thousand is hard to beat

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am pretty sure I am done buying pipes. My self-imposed limit was 12 briars. I now have 14 and it has been 6 months since I bought a pipe. I smoke 1, sometimes 2 bowls a day and acquiring more pipes seems self defeating. While I hope to retire relatively soon I still have plenty of pipes if I smoked all day long.
I am really trying to keep my possessions down under the theory that "things" don't make you happy.
Having said all that......cobs....cobs don't count. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.