PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This is Why I Can Not Have Nice Things
At least you have your kid to blame. I'm always kicking my own ass for ruining or losing things. Why just the other day I managed to lose two pouches of tobacco before I got home. No big deal? The were sent to me from Europe and I have a very difficult time getting pipe tobacco where I live.
Move on, it won't be the last time something like this happens!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
huntertrw +1. A wife and a kid are nice things! They're people, so like the rest of us, they don't always act nice, but

they're way better than any piece of snazzy merchandise, by far, by far.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I go +100 with Hunter.
Also, since you posted I will offer this:
This was an unintentional act by an 8 year old.
Be gentle.
It's not like he broke a 3 inch branch over the neighbor girl's head (my brother, at age 8) (She deserved it)
Or came after you or your wife with a kitchen knife (Friends 7 year old foster son... from a drug family).
This too shall pass.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Thank you all for such thoughtful responses. I think hunter put it best though.
We are never harsh in discipline with this child. He is the kind of kid who when he screwed up he put himself in a time out when he was six and cried for an hour. He never loses jackets or anything at school like a lot of kids. He was diagnosed with aspergers and is very particular about routines, following rules, doing things the rite way every time. Things are black and white in his mind. There is no grey area, it's rite or wrong to him. He is a great kid and we are blessed with the quirky little dude.
Also his mother is an absolute saint. Never raises her voice, never swears. She is an absolute peach! So for her to say she needed some time to cool off was a big deal.
I am a lucky man in so many ways. This incident just means I have to hold off replacing my leaky waiders. They leaked when fishing sunday. I kept fishing and froze my ass off. It's hard to stop fishing when big fish are shallow and willing to be caught. My buddy got an almost 8 pound fish and I had to go in because I was so cold.
Any ways life has lots of curve balls. Then you have kids and you get even more curve balls. So thanks again for your thoughtful responses. Proves again the members of this forum are true Gentelmen.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
My 6 yo dropped my laptop, smashed it and cracked the case. I wasn't mad about the dropping part, as accidents happen. It was that he was told several times NOT to pick it up and walk around with it...So buster, I feel your pain..Kids will be kids....

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
The only silver lining to things like this is the fact that we hand down things to our kids that our parents handed down to us, among those is "The Curse." Said Curse is that they have children someday that will do to them what they have done to us. :puffy:

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I have been the 8 year old, and I have been the frustrated adult. From the description of your son, and your wife, you have a very fine family...something to be very proud of, and a very nice thing. :puffy:

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
When I was about 8, I smashed a 3 year old in the head with a baseball bat. It was unintentional, completely. I was swinging the bat in the street, and he waddled up behind me, and BAM, he was out.
Try living that one down.
I don't think anyone, once the shock was somewhat abated and the kid was shuffled to the doctor, gave me too much grief about it.
It was an accident.

Dec 24, 2012
My youngest son (8 years old) wears glasses and has broken about 5 pairs. Sigh, what can I say?
I joke with my wife that I wish Costco sold glasses in a 12 pack.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I dont post much anymore but got to say you are not the first parents to which this has happened. You wont be the last. Use it as an opportunity to teach. Help him learn from it. We all have done things like that, and if you didnt, either you dont remember or soon you will. Like someone said earlier, this too will pass.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes it is a teaching moment. Tomorrow morning he gets to go to the orthodontist to get a mold made of his bottom teeth. He really hates having the molds made so that will be a gental reminder to him. If he loses another one he gets to make another mold! He will remember that for sure.
Good news is our tax refund will cover the cost. So I got to order my new breathable waiders from Cabellas last weekend! So all is well in the world. Next up is trying to get the two year old to stop punching other kids for fun. If it ain't one thing it's another.
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.