This Is The Amazing World That Forum Member Workman Calls Home.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I thoroughly enjoyed this read and supporting images, the place is absolutely stunning with breathtaking views aplenty.

I'm reminded of a month long holiday in the 1970's when I was about 13 when we as a family spent an entire month on Fair Isle, a rugged lump of rock tree miles long and one and a half wide sitting pretty much between the Orkneys and Shetland Islands. I was in heaven exploring the place.

Workman, if you read this you can be assured that many folks will be very envious of the delightful place you call home.

Regards,

Jay.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Some of the people I admired most, during the many years I worked in the Danish ship, oil and airline industry, were the captains, other officers and airline managers from the Faroe Islands. I hope to some day visit and see the home of my distant country men, although we Danes may not be that popular up there....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inspiring. I lived for eight months on Midway Island with about 500 Navy personnel and a few civilians supported by logistic flights. It is nearly uninhabited now the Naval Sta. is gone. Kept busy doing a primitive newspaper to keep sailors and families engaged and entertained. They didn't go crazy; I didn't go crazy. The wildlife was wonderful.

Reactions: kurtbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
damn it I would love to be in a place like that. Frankly at best a neighbor is a person that you can forget is there. I like listening to music and taking walks in beautiful places. The cold doesn't bother me, especially when it keeps the warm weather people hiding indoors.

Reactions: kurtbob

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I thoroughly enjoyed this read and supporting images, the place is absolutely stunning with breathtaking views aplenty.

I'm reminded of a month long holiday in the 1970's when I was about 13 when we as a family spent an entire month on Fair Isle, a rugged lump of rock tree miles long and one and a half wide sitting pretty much between the Orkneys and Shetland Islands. I was in heaven exploring the place.

Workman, if you read this you can be assured that many folks will be very envious of the delightful place you call home.

Regards,

Jay.
Thanks Jay. It is wonderful, isn't it?
I know all the places in the article and some of the people. The article deals with the smallest and most remote communities here. My setting is a village of about 800 souls close to the capital, so somewhat more modern, although nature and the timeless past is never far away.
I haven't got time to elaborate right now, but I'll come back.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Some of the people I admired most, during the many years I worked in the Danish ship, oil and airline industry, were the captains, other officers and airline managers from the Faroe Islands. I hope to some day visit and see the home of my distant country men, although we Danes may not be that popular up there....
For various reasons, one being the very mild colonial rule by the danish kings, there is little if any hostility towards Denmark in the Faroe Islands. We have republican political parties that seek independence from Denmark, but it's all in good spirit. One of them gets my vote, even though my mother is danish and I have much love and admiration for Denmark.
@Jay: We have the coronavirus here. Registered case numbers seem high, but that is because as good as all cases are registered. It seems to be under control, so much so that the curve is flat and everyone thinks they ought to loosen up the restrictions a little in order to let it spread some more. No deaths so far.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Great article, love the photos. I'm familiar with the islands as a location used in a number of old Ingmar Bergman films. Always presumed it was Swedish territory.

Reactions: mawnansmiff
Status
Not open for further replies.