PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've been a big fan of Becker pipes for a long time now. I've never seen one of his rated a Royal Flush before. I have to admit, I'm really disappointed by this one. It just seems so carved up and fails to display the wood in a positive light. I can't help but think of how this looks more Grabow than Becker...granted, the wood work is well done, but I can't imagine putting a Royal Flush stamp on it. Any experience with these before?
Royal Flush

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I personally cant stand the spiral engraved wood. I really am not a fan of wood carving for the most part unless its kinda subtle. I understand the difficulty and respect the work put in just not my cup of tea.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
One would think "Royal Flush" is the highest grade pipe Becker makes. Apparently not. A basic Royal Flush is defined as straight grain and difficult/inventive shape.
I'm not sure why you'd want spiral carving on straight grain myself. But then again he's Paolo Becker and I'm building piles of scrap briar in my garage.
Here's his grading system.
Clubs (one, two, three, four): Sandblasted

- Spades (one, two three, four): Rusticated

- Diamonds (one,two, three, four): Smooth, usually darker stain

- Hearts (one, two): Smooth, lighter stain; better grain

- Hearts (three, four): Near Straight grain, some tiny sandspots

- Four Hearts Elite: Straight Grain, some tiny sand spots

- Royal Flush: Straight Grain, often a difficult or inventive shape

- Royal Flush Elite

- Royal Flush Elite A

- Royal Flush Elite B

- Royal Flush Elite C: Becker's highest grade

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
My favorite Becker design is only a 2 clubs:
DSC05338.jpg

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Rafter:
That one is "only" five-and-half from Pulvers. What are you waiting for?
Of course you did just get rid on one on Ebay right?
Who's next on your great pipemakers tour?

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Uh oh Rafter. Marty just started a 15% off Italian unsmoked pipes sale today. Would put the Becker you love at under $500 closer to 4.

raftergtex

Lurker
Mar 18, 2010
Yes, I just sold a two clubs Becker on ebay, but I bought that as an estate for 150 and sold it many smokes later for 120 or so. As for the one I love, I don't love it $500 worth. One thing about being a pipemaker is that I understand there are a few basics that you need to know, but after that it is all in the name brand. There are plenty of pipes in the $100 range that smoke just as well (including hopefully my own!). Still, I do like to see and smoke some of the well-known names just to confirm my theory. :) At the moment, I have my eye on a Texas maker named David Jones. He is not as well known but has been making pipes for many years and sells all of them on ebay for very reasonable prices (100-150). Very well respected, and he uses briar that he ages for more than a decade. Might actually get a new one this time.

group7

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
Davis Jones makes excellent pipes, usually on the larger side. Most of his pipes he sells on ebay and are very reasonable. I just picked up a large searock type billiard and it smokes great.

group7

Lurker
Jan 10, 2010
Hey pstlpkr, there is one almost exactly like it on ebay right now. Current price is $53.50 with 2 days plus left. Check it out and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.