• Moss

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

I tried smoking it a few days ago but due to the lack of my smoking skills and improper drying, I had a really hard time smoking it. Moreover, I felt pretty sick after smoking it. Maybe the plume also increases the "potency" of the tobacco? I don't know.

If I was living in the states, I would gladly send it to this community's member, but unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible anytime soon due to the current situation.

Nevertheless, before I felt pretty sick, it was probably the best Virginia blend I've ever smoked in my life.

I'll spend more time for thoroughly drying out the tobacco before smoking it and as a matter of fact, I'm drying my Escudo Navy Rolls next to my window right now ☀?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Get a jeweler's loupe.
I was wondering if some white stuff I had on tobacco plants hanging was mold or not.
Now, maybe that type mold is different... whatever... but when I looked at it under a jeweler's loupe I knew what it was.
A jeweler's loupe is 30x normally. I could not find a pic of mold at 30x, but I did find this pic of bread mold at 55x.

As you can likely figure from this pic, I could see things well enough to know that it was mold... for sure.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Get a jeweler's loupe.
I was wondering if some white stuff I had on tobacco plants hanging was mold or not.
Now, maybe that type mold is different... whatever... but when I looked at it under a jeweler's loupe I knew what it was.
A jeweler's loupe is 30x normally. I could not find a pic of mold at 30x, but I did find this pic of bread mold at 55x.

As you can likely figure from this pic, I could see things well enough to know that it was mold... for sure.

That looks like tricomes on a bud of Mary-Jane..

Jun 23, 2019

I tried smoking it a few days ago but due to the lack of my smoking skills and improper drying, I had a really hard time smoking it. Moreover, I felt pretty sick after smoking it. Maybe the plume also increases the "potency" of the tobacco? I don't know.

If I was living in the states, I would gladly send it to this community's member, but unfortunately, I don't know if that's possible anytime soon due to the current situation.

Nevertheless, before I felt pretty sick, it was probably the best Virginia blend I've ever smoked in my life.

I'll spend more time for thoroughly drying out the tobacco before smoking it and as a matter of fact, I'm drying my Escudo Navy Rolls next to my window right now ☀?

Generally speaking tobacco potency decreases over time. If you're feeling sick, I'd examine the "plume" better

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Sick as in how? Nicotine hit? Or different kind of sickness?

I felt quite nauseous, way more than when I smoked Escudo and in the end, I threw up. I didn't feel like doing anything for the rest of the next day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Plume, which is to say, a mythology created by tobacconists to talk customers out of refunds and replacements over molded products.

I'm kidding, I just wanted to make people's blood boil.
ironically my tobacconist described the difference between plume and mold as plume is mold that won't hurt you and mold is mold that will make you sick and ruin the taste of the tobacco. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about. Which actually makes some sense to me (not the best measure of truth) lots of foods have mold and sometimes it's what makes it so tasty and others it makes you sick or dead.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That looks like plume to me, basically some mineral content that has leached out over the years, that is largely following the contours of the pressed layers. 7 years of mold growth would make for quite wide webbed spread of hairy beard.
Perfect advice here on what to look for. Plume follows areas of the flake or plug and is white/crystalline in appearance. Mold is fuzzy or furry and will spread all over the tobacco or in round spots.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

I’m guessing it was nic hit .. I’ve had that happen with tobacco that did not have any plume. It was just strong. ?
I bet this is soo mild and delicious now you smoked the hell out of it?

soutso

Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
Someone on this thread mentioned the study on plume and mold on cigars, that was on the friendsofhabanos site. All samples in that study conclusively proved to be a form of mold. The FVF sample was not mould, but a form of harmless food grade bacteria. It was quite interesting to read that. I suspect that this is the case with your sample.

How exactly did you feel sick? Were you queasy? Did you want to vomit? I've had that with too much of a nicotine hit. Eating some lollies ie a quick sugar hit can assist in this case. Good luck!

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
The fact that it is not covering the entire flake, but just isolated to specific bands in the flake is a good sign. Plume for sure!