PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I suppose this thread demonstrates why this isn't a clear genre, and admittedly what I've presented above is a bit of a hodge-podge of blends, though the bulk are from SG and GH.
I've given up figuring out what the common denominator between these blends is, but I think I essentially like strong blends where the dominant player isn't a nutty burley. :) Oh well, I'll keep looking around. There are quite a few more strong offerings from SG and GH that fit my basic criteria, even if I won't ever find if there is a leaf/curing process/etc. that is the common cause of these blends' nicer attributes, or whether it is merely happy coincidence. :)

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Just some random thoughts...
Dark Virginia leaf is a Burley it is not a flue cured variety. It will never be sweet like flue cured tobacco ( called "Virginia by pipe smokers).
African companies probably buy their seed every year from American companies like Gold Leaf Seed Company or Cross Creek Seed. All commercial growers use hybrids and I don't think the African trade is set up for seed hybridization.
The nicotine kick ( from Sweet maple twist etc) probably comes from the fact that the pipe companies are probably buying the upper leaves of flue cured varieties. As you go up the stalk of a tobacco plant the nicotine level increases. The most highly sought after leaves are the lower ones (known as cutters)so they would be the most expensive. Nicotine levels can be manipulated many ways. By adding extra Nitrogen fertilizer, by letting the leaf stay on the stalk a week or two later and by changing the pH with sauces and toppings.
No matter where the tobacco is grown it is processed the same. Burley is air cured in barns, Flue cured (Virginia) is heated in chambers and Turkish is dried in the sun. The common denominators are probably the leaf (regardless of where it is grown), the processing the manufacturer uses (steam press etc) and the sauces.
A sauce can be anything from citric acid to lower the pH of Burley ( making it a smoother smoke) to a reducing sugar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am just not that familiar with what differentiates the African from the others.
Terroir, terroir, terroir! That's what the growers will say, and the soil in which anything is grown makes a difference, as does climate, how tended, when picked, how cured, etc. etc.
(I see bigpond has responded with the terroir bit as well)

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Thanks for the info, guys!
So, the upper leaves with more nicotine are actually less desirable? Interesting.
Jitter, do you happen to know if any growers use N. rustica in pipe tobacco, or is it just mostly used for harvesting nicotine for pesticides, etc.?

Any plug or twist started off first as a pipe tobacco, and then Irish miners stuck in the hole started chewing it. Cotton Boll Twist is absolutely a pipe tobacco first, and chewing tobacco second, as well as hundreds of other local farmer-made twists that I have been collecting.

Pipe smokers are all traditional folks, so integrating Rustica that really hasn't been grown that long, is not going to happen quickly. Just look at how folks keep reviving dead blends over creating newer blends with new flavors. If we were an accepting lot, then it wouldn't be weird at all to have cigar flavors in our blends. It may be a while before we get Rustica blenbds for the pipe, outside of twist tobacco.
Location is a big factor, but after the location has changed the seedstock, it can no longer be sold as what it originally was. Thus, you can grow Turkish tobaccos here. Jitter has said over and over this, till even I buy into it.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Interesting. I am really interested in the twists, so I'll have to pick up some Cotton Boll. Any other Rustica products you might recommend? Do you know anything about N. Rustica bundles like this? Worth buying? Smokeable?

http://visionaryherbs.com/nicotiana_rustica_tobacco_bundles.htm

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Yes, That is Mapacho. It is very tasty and very strong although I was surpised when I found out it was a Rustica. It had less nic in it than the Rusticas I've grown.. I'd recommend getting some. I think Chasingembers?? not sure but someone on this forum also bought some recently.
There is plenty of seed available. Lots of varieties. Easier to grow than "regular" tobacco
PM me and I'll send you some Sacred Cornplanter, some seeds and if I still have some, Mapacho.

Might take a week for me to get it in the mail I promised 2 other people some tobacco samples so I have to get them in the mail first.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Awesome, will do! I have been actually researching growing tobacco over the past few days. Again, apologize for my ignorance. I started the thread to learn, and I certainly have.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I agree with your original post as it seams to be a specific leaf and curing process that gives these GH&Co. their unique flavor. They almost give the blend a roasted quality.

Been awhile since I broke out Cotton Boll but lit up a pipeful after reading this thread. I think it taste more like Semois than anything I've tasted from GH&Co. It's mighty strong and enjoy it with a cup of joe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Royal Yacht falls into this category.
A lot of sunlight can make ordinary crops into supercrops.
That, and the UK style of processing...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting thread. I too am a great fan of blends containing baccy from India, Malawi, Tanzania etc and it does strike me as odd that though the blends (more often than not made by S. Gawith and G&H) are very popular in the States, not many American made blends appear to use these leaves themselves.
Though I could be wrong...famous last words :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cosmic, if that is indeed the case then I have to ask "why not" as the blends that do use those leaves are so popular over there.
Seems like some producer could make a killing especially if as you say they are so cheap comparatively speaking.
Regards,
Jay.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Cosmic, if that is indeed the case then I have to ask "why not" as the blends that do use those leaves are so popular over there.
Mawnan, so your question is "Why do American tobacco companies use tobacco grown in America, while British companies use tobacco grown in former British colonies, instead of the other way around?"
I'm thinking probably because of money.

And, because the pipe hobby in the US for a few decades before the internet, was mostly mall stores called Tinderboxes, which had a handfull of tins, some codger blends, but mostly peddled bulk jars on the counter full of Lane and Sutliff goopy aromatics. It was a way for a guy to take his girl on a date and pick out an ice cream flavored tobacco, for some odd reason. I am not even sure where a pipe smoker would have gotten a SG or GH&co blend in Middle America before the internet.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
DM that is very true. I am eeking out what remains of my first tin as I will not be visiting my local B&M for a while.
Am so glad I purchased that blend (along with Old Gowrie) on that last visit. Both tins were bought 'blind' BTW and I love them both.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.