PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This English Flake, Not Really My Cup of Tea
I am primarily an aromatic smoker. I must say however; that I do not dislike English blends. On the contrary; I have and do (thoroughly) enjoy Sasieni Balkan and EMP. Over the years I have smoked a number of other bulk and tined English blends that I liked as well. However; Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance threw me a curve.
It tastes of heavy Latakia and mildly sweet, then becomes light and peppery. There is no doubting it is an English blend but despite that, it seems to have a tolerable room note, as confirmed by the War Department.
When I opened the tin, I was intrigued by the slightly thicker than usual cut of the flakes and the general texture of the blend. The tin note was not very intense or particularly interesting. But, I did pick up on a slightly sweet and smoky aroma, with a hint of mink oil. It reminds me of oiling up my mitt when I was a kid. The flake itself crumbles easily, and does not require much preparation at all. Although it feels moist; it does not really need any drying time before packing and lighting. It does pack well and lights easily, but I did have to stir, dump, and relight about 3 times per bowl. It seems I had much less trouble with this style of flake than I have had with others. The ash is white and powdery, and smokes dry. I drank ice water with each bowl.
I have smoked six flakes thus far in my evaluation of this blend, three bowls in my Brebbia Lectura Churchwarden and a like number in my TRG White Ringed Volcano. Each bowl seemed to have the same relative characteristics. Upon the char and true, I found Penzance produced a very heavy smoke dense with Latakia and a little sweet. Then halfway through the bowl it changed dramatically to a much lighter and smoother Latakia and it developed a peppery feel and taste. I can see how devotes of English blends would love Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance. Myself, on the other hand, about this particular English blend I am neither hot nor cold. Please, do not get me wrong. Penzance is good, but I personally prefer a lighter English blend, something a little more exciting (or more precisely) possessing brighter flavor characteristics.
I suppose in my final assessment of Esoterica Tabacciana Penzance I found it to be oppressive at first then much- less-so towards the end of each bowl. The Virginias give it a bit of a nic kick, but does not over do it. So, if you prefer Aromatics or VaPers, I would not recommend Penzance. But, if you smoke only English blends or prefer them to Aros and VaPers, I definitely recommend that you give it a try.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Great review Lawrence. My reaction to Samuel Gawith Commonwealth was somewhat similar. I've read so many great reviews, but I found it to be be very bland and almost flavorless. Why bother smoking it?

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Lawrence.. I am in agreement with you... I know many..MANY folks.. consider Penzance to be the second coming of tobaccos... but for me... it just didn't punch my ticket...

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Great review, Lawrence. I'm glad to see it didn't just end with the first bowl in the same pipe.
When I was introduced to the thought of the tobacco, there were a lot of people who loved it just as many as there were who didn't like it at all. The guys on that particular forum equated the like/dislike factor to that of the 1792 blend. With such mixed review, I had to at least give Penzance a shot and I was one of those who loved it. I have yet to try the stout 1792 blend, but one of these days I will.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the compliments.

I just wanted to be honest, and I am primarily am Aromatics and VaPer smoker.

But, I can definitely understand how an English lover would be very pleased by Esoterica Tobbaciana Penzance, and why there are so many positive reviews.

I wasn't my intent to pan Penzance, and I don't believe I did.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the review Lawrence. It seems that we agree on Penzance. I neither love it nor hate it. It is NOT a blend that I foresee myself amassing a large stash of in my cellar. What's there, is there and I have other blends that I'd rather be buying up than this one. This works out for me since it's hard to get a hold of anyway.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It was my pleasure Bubba.

I had tried a sample in the past. But, I don't think I had sufficient exposure to really know my mind on Penzance.

Thank you Bubba, for the opportunity to get to know this blend. (Shhhhh don't tell anyone that you sent me a tin.) :D

I'll continue to smoke it from time to time like I do with Sasieni Balkan and Early Morning Pipe when I'm in an English mood.
As always I enjoy smoking a blend with an eye on writing a review.

It was fun!

:puffy:

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Nice review Lawrence. I enjoy smoking Latakia blends (both medium and strong) but I will not be buying any more Penzance because there are other blends that I like better.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
“Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor” . Seems I read somewhere that our tastes change about every seven years .When one smokes the pipe perhaps it is the nuances we seek , they tend to comfort us like a old friend .I have yet to sample Penzance but look forward to doing so as soon as I can find it .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It did Bubba.

I really enjoy writing reviews, they are a lot of fun.

But, I hate it when the typo's don't show themselves until the next day.

I thought I got them all... Oh well. :oops:

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Been trying to aquire some of this duff to try...drooling over the reviews....help anyone
Talk to Rich at 4noggins or the folks at Smokingpipes.com. They'll put you on their backorder list and you'll get it the next time that a shipment comes in (IF they get enough to fill all their backorders, if not you'll be at the top of the list for the next shipment). The way Penzance flies off the shelves, this is your best shot at getting some.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Nice review. If you really didn't enjoy the English blend, I am willing to have you send it to me, just for your own good and to clear out room for other tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.