Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

This one has a nice grain, obscured by my phone's crap camera. Again done with an angle grinder for rough shaping, then rasps, files and sandpaper, polishing with a bit of olive oil. I enlarged the already very deep bowl of the pre-drilled block with a homemade spoon bit and now it is properly cavernous. It's a good smoker too!

Unlike the rest of you here, I simply lack the patience to make something perfect, but they are good for my use and my eyes :)

P.S. this is addictive, next step will be to get undrilled blocks and do everything myself.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well, don't know for sure but it hasn't happened in the three months or so I have done it with my other pipes, had read somewhere - or here - about people using olive oil, the thing is the amount used is minuscule anyway, literally a couple of drops.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Is there any concern about the oil turning rancid after a while?
Olive oil doesn’t go rancid the way other fruit/veg oils do. At least not in my experience. I’ve got leather knife sheaths and pipes that were oiled with extra virgin olive oil years ago, and have been re-oiled once or twice. I use it on my maple block cutting board, too. No issues.

Reactions: karam

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Looks really good! I'd keep that bit on the stummel and get back on the belt sander to get to a tighter flush fit. I've made only two pipes, and my first stem needed thinning down and making that joint tight. After I worked so hard to smooth it off, I didn't have the heart to drop the grit and get back to it. Plus It's hard for me to get a sense of how much more will come off once you take a rough shape to a polish. It's fun, and I want to do more for sure. None of mine looked THAT good though.

Here is the 2nd one that I avoided that area on. That is nose oil only and 10000gr polished italian briar. Kit by Vermont Freehand. It would have been nicer if I took some meat out of the lower bowl and had a little better shaping. I only had 40hrs into that. No way was I going back to it. HAHA. 2016-09-03 16.57.05.jpg2016-09-03 17.00.03.jpg

Reactions: LOREN and smknron
Status
Not open for further replies.