PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
About a year ago, I bought an extension cord, a good one - 50' long, single lighted end, supple in bitterly cold weather. A bright yellow, almost neon yellow cord that I put outside about two weeks ago to plug in my truck when the weather turned cold up here in the great white north. And of course, the night it did turn cold, I went outside to plug in before bed and it was gone. As I live in not the best of neighborhoods, I thought about the stupidity of what I had done and said a gentle swear word or two in the general direction of the person who had relieved me of my possession. The next morning, while walking my dog down the back alley, I noticed a cord, same bright yellow, same single lighted end, hanging out the second story window of a dubious quality apartment building not 100 yards down my street plugged into a ratty, damaged older car. No one was around so I walked closer and checked it out. Yep, same cord definitely, as I had marked the end with a piece of tape. What to do? Call the police? Knock on the door? Both pointless as far as I could figure. So, after some thought, I went back this morning at 5 am with my trusty side cutters and, reaching up as high as I could, snipped that cord and took the 30 foot chunk with me. I'll bet the thief won't have the skill or ambition to repair the cord when stealing another is so easy. So, I'm pretty sure that if I keep my eyes open over the next few days, I'll find the other end discarded and be able to repair the whole thing. My new cord is locked to my fence and I won't make that mistake again. The only morals to this story that I can figure are to lock up your stuff and if you're going to steal from your neighbors, don't display the goods. Thanks for letting me vent.

morton

May 3, 2012
I'm glad you're looking on the bright side of this story, newbie. You tend to have a different way of looking at things.
Why would the thief do that? I'm not stupid enough to redisplay the original cord and it could be anyone who stole "their" cord. Maybe they'll call the police?

morton

May 3, 2012
@trailboss
Thanks for the heads up but I had considered that and will keep a weather eye out. The new cord is a different color and much shorter - not long enough to hang out the kitchen window to reach the junker on the street. I just couldn't allow that dirtwad to get away with robbing me and getting to use his ill gotten gains.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
LOL this reminds me of an old Codger I worked with when I just started working for EXXON, a dog would piss on his favorite Camellia bush, so he cut an extension cord, frayed the ends and hung it in the bush, plugged it up and Lo and behold it was his neighbor who would walk his dog and would stop for a fire hydrant moment , ZZZZZZZZZZ, dead dog. Neighbor took him to court and he had to pay big time. The worst thing out of this was when he worked the Dog, Night shift for some of you he would get barking and ZZZZT calls all night long, this was before caller ID. EXXON is a bad place to work if you have thin skin.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
GOOD JOB! You way nicer than I am. I was raised with an eye for two eyes, leg, and arm. If that happened to me there would have been a boat, and concrete shoes and the end of the story.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I am half hesitant to type this. I want to cast no dispersion on the OP at all, he has “eyes on the situation” and I learned to never argue with the guy in the situation. Therefore I suspect you handled it correctly for your area.
But our country has changed more than a bit when “Payback” is considered cutting your own equipment up to deny someone else the use of it. People used to be more vigorous in defense of their own property. I by no means am advocating something stupid. But I have gone to the source once or twice to solve the entire problem. Confrontation is indeed worrisome and I suspect it always has been. It is not easier to go talk to a person in the 1800s about this topic than it is now. The person in this case may have bought the cord off of some crack head and has no idea it was stolen. (Hypothetical I have no insight here lol) Then again your version of what happened may be it perfectly. Perhaps get some friends of yours involved. Not to be Billy Badboy but to simply be there to make sure things do not go south, make sure the friends are not hot heads. Conversations can be made without violence, trust but verify lol. Yes, bad things could happen, but good things could happen also. But I feel sad when the solution to this problem in this day and age………is to cut up your own extension cord. Not saying that is not the correct answer, just saying it makes me sad.
Hopefully everything works out great for you in the future with this situation.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I would have given the cord a good yank to see if it came free. Lol Hopefully it would has been wrapped around the thieves ankle and brought them off the balcony as well.

morton

May 3, 2012
@ drwatson
I considered my level of response pretty carefully. One of my cop friends suggested that I hook the cord to the back of my truck and take out the window that was closed on it when I drove away with it. I asked if he would lend me his truck but he didn't want to. And while I would have liked to do all kinds of nasty stuff due in no small part to my intense dislike of thieves, I figured that escalating would just get me in trouble with the authorities and I don't need that. This way, the thieves get no use from their prize and no recourse to me. But if it happens again, please feel free to come on up, I'll pay for the ticket and lend you an ax to chop a hole in the ice! :D

Mar 1, 2014
This almost reminds me of a "certain other thread" that featured a big roast of the OP.

Sometimes you're just better off avoiding association with certain types of people.

Of course, in a fancy neighborhood you're probably just going find that you're surrounded by a new type of crook, but at least your stuff should be safe(ish).

Dec 24, 2012
You showed restraint. I would have slashed the tires of the crappy car too.
I would get the wireless camera though. Nothing like catching a dirtbag in the act. Just make sure you turn off the camera if the guy shows up and you decide to beat him senseless with an axe handle. Shit stains like that are a waste of oxygen and deserve a merciless beating.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
+1 Peck
Your restraint is applauded.

I, like the others, would not have been as kind. Sometimes the only way to deal with savages, is with savage methods.

morton

May 3, 2012
Thanks peck, mephistopheles, bradley, trailboss and others for your comments. I do have motion sensor lights and had hoped to avoid the cameras for several reasons. Firstly, these people can be the dregs of the earth, a camera would not deter them even if their drug-addled wits were sharp enough to figure out what was happening. Secondly, our court system here in Canada seems overtaxed and overrun and our police know it. Chances are the dirtwad would walk anyway for an $80 electrical cord and so why bother. This is not a comment on the local police, some of whom are friends of mine but rather what I see as the Canadian legal system's weaknesses. Thirdly, after the expense of the cameras, it would be my luck to have that footage used to build a case against me should I catch the thief on my property because most definitely, a beating, or worse, would be handed out. One of our richest (or at least, former richest) Canadian citizens, Conrad Black, found out the hard way that ignoring security cameras or tampering with them, is a no-no. At least he spent his time in the Florida State correction facility teaching literacy skills to his fellow inmates. Like him or not, the guy is pretty sharp but he wasn't thinking clearly that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.