They Were A Sour Lot In Old Time Connecticut And Indiana.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm currently reading 'Made In America' by Bill Bryson which takes a wry look at the development of America and what it contributed to the world as a whole and found a couple of interesting snippets I thought I'd share with you guys.
Under 'Pursuit of Pleasure' we are told the Puritans disliked anything ungodly such as smoking tobacco....
"Connecticut had a statute forbidding inhabitants from 'taking tobacco publiquely in the street, nor shall any take yt in the fyelds or woods'."
As for the punishment of those found to be flouting such a decree we can only guess but based upon the below I would imagine it would be harsh.
One unlucky chap in Hartford, Connecticut by the name of George Spencer caused a bit of a stir. Apparently a one eyed piglet was born in the town and the local magistrates cast around for how this came to be before coming across the hapless Mr. Spencer who happened to have but one eye himself.
Questioned about the possibility of him practicing bestiality the man confessed (why???). He later recanted his confession but it was too late. Under Connecticut law, to convict Spencer of bestiality two witnesses were required. No problems there as the powers that be decided to hang the fellow using the piglet as one witness and his own statement as the other.
Indiana doesn't fare much better in the crazy laws league. As late as 1905 a law was passed which reads as 'Whoever entices, allures, instigates or aids any person under the age of 21 years to commit masturbation or self pollution, shall be deemed guilty of sodomy'.
Indeed, as late as the 1950's, in Indiana one could spend up to 14 years prison time for 'self pollution'.
Just thought I'd brighten your day by sharing these nuggets with you :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have heard about one-eyed mr. Spencer before. Amazing story. Those puritans were a grumpy lot. Still are, I believe. Elsewhere in the US, people were starting mass production of cars, building the first aeroplanes, fiddling with electricity, telephones etc.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Heck in South Bend Indiana we only just recently (2018) received the ability to buy alcohol on Sundays.
A whole different kind of self pollution.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
To get to the truth of Mr. Spencer you have to find who got his property after he was hung. It was not uncommon for the powerful to make false charges, convict and hang someone and then acquire the land they had. Hell, it didn't even have to be in the northeast for that to happen.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pappy, Spencer was a manservant thus owned no property.
Interestingly, when he was hanged, the sow that gave birth to the one eyed piglet was put to the sword!
And......we get to the unfortunately named Mr. Hogg....
"In 1645, Thomas Hogg, another servant in New Haven, was imprisoned for several months for very similar crimes. A sow gave birth to two deformed piglets that resembled Hogg. However, Hogg never confessed to the crime, and the requirement of finding two witnesses could not be met."
Regards,
Jay.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I think hapless Mr. Spencer was told something like he would find mercy if he confessed and showed remorse. Unfortunately for him the mercy he was told about was mercy from god upon his death. Other people had been spared the death penalty for confessing to raping children and other such acts. It wasn't unreasonable for him to expect the same. Up to him only Native Americans had been executed in Conneticut.
Hogg can be an unfortunate name. There was the 19th century Texan whom was named Ima. Surname Hogg. Ima Hogg. Ima Hogg Wikipedia

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Up to him only Native Americans had been executed in Conneticut [sic]."
Actually that should be in the singular, only one Native American (Nepauduck) was hanged afore Mr. Spencer and that was for murder in 1639. Spencer being hanged in 1642.
Regards,
Jay.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
A few years ago a local radio station did a review of odd ordinances still on the books in our old farming city here in Iowa.
One was clamping down on people bringing chickens and goats onto the newly installed city bus line to get them to Farmers Market.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bit less extreme but along the same lines, a friend of mine had a Quaker ancestor who was ejected from his congregation for "keeping a fiddle." Many strict sects did well overall, but the individual stories that come out of those communities suggest grim limitations in life. In some cases, it's puzzling how they met spouses and created families under such mandates. I think they herded the wilder people into line and probably ruined the lives of others through unending mandates. People with much imagination don't do well with strict religions, unless they're Bach or diVinci, who had outlets for their energies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Whoever entices, allures, instigates or aids any person under the age of 21 years to commit masturbation or self pollution, shall be deemed guilty

Sheena Easton is guilty as hell (but I’m showing my age now)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hogg can be an unfortunate name. There was the 19th century Texan whom was named Ima. Surname Hogg. Ima Hogg. Ima Hogg Wikipedia
She had a sister named "Ura". They were high society in Texas, and IIRC, quite benevolent.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indiana doesn't fare much better in the crazy laws league. As late as 1905 a law was passed which reads as 'Whoever entices, allures, instigates or aids any person under the age of 21 years to commit masturbation or self pollution, shall be deemed guilty of sodomy'.
Indeed, as late as the 1950's, in Indiana one could spend up to 14 years prison time for 'self pollution'.
Enticing a minor to commit self pollution (is that different from masturbation??) is way different than a solitary act committed by either adult or child.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"She had a sister named "Ura". They were high society in Texas, and IIRC, quite benevolent."
Alas John, that is fiction.....
"Although it was rumoured that Hogg had a sister named "Ura Hogg", she had only brothers."
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John, Wikipedia is your friend as well as mine......and your uncle was a fibber.....
"Contrary to popular belief, Ima did not have a sister named Ura.[11] Texas legend insists that when Jim Hogg ran for re-election as Texas governor in 1892 he often travelled with Ima and a friend of hers and introduced them as his daughters Ima and Ura. Ima Hogg maintained throughout her life that this never happened.[12] She was frequently forced to dispel the myth; hundreds of people wrote her letters inquiring whether her name was real and if she really had a sister named Ura.[10] The Kansas City Star even invented another sister, Hoosa.[13]"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg
Regards,
Jay.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
John,

Being a born and raised Texan who grew up learning Texas history in Texas schools, Ima Hogg only had brothers.
By the way, her father served as Attorney General and Governor of the State of Texas. She was a great lady and did great things for the State of Texas.
Joe

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Joe and Jay. So I was partly right in that Miss Hogg did a lot for her community, and was a lady and a Texan.
I am now convinced that she had no sister of any name.
But, Jay, wikipedia is not my friend, as just about anyone can edit many articles. Thus I asked you what was your source.

Status
Not open for further replies.