They Sent Aged Tin

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

When I first started going to the Briary, almost everything on their shelves had several years on them, some even more. But, at the time, no one paid any attention to aged. So, they were just loading newer tobaccos in teh front, and the older stuff kept getting pushed back. After I went through and bought all of the stuff on the back of their shelves, folks started paying attention to the dates.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
When I first started going to the Briary, almost everything on their shelves had several years on them, some even more. But, at the time, no one paid any attention to aged. So, they were just loading newer tobaccos in teh front, and the older stuff kept getting pushed back. After I went through and bought all of the stuff on the back of their shelves, folks started paying attention to the dates.
When I visit the closest pipe shop 75 miles away they usually only have 4 or 5 tins on the shelf. I like to at least buy one or two and some cleaners. I don't think I'll ever get lucky with an aged find there.

When I visit the closest pipe shop 75 miles away they usually only have 4 or 5 tins on the shelf. I like to at least buy one or two and some cleaners. I don't think I'll ever get lucky with an aged find there.
Only four or fine "left" on the shelf, or that is all that they ever have?
If the later, I'd be curious to know which four or five they think is all people need to chose from. puffy

Reactions: Briar Tuck

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Only four or fine "left" on the shelf, or that is all that they ever have?
If the later, I'd be curious to know which four or five they think is all people need to chose from. puffy
That's all they every have. Always different blends. They're in a hotel lobby and are very small, but I want to keep giving them business just in case my state outlaws mail order tobacco.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Nice find! I seem to always get very fresh stuff when I order by mail, but I suppose that going through the big boys will probably result in that.

I did find a 4 year old tin at the local tobacconist once, but I didn't care for that blend. Too bad.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
One of my favorite B&M stores is hours away from my city but more than a decade ago before I had actually been inside for the first time I noticed through the window (shop was closed at the time) many tins of Esoterica blends. On my next visit they were open and I bought a lot of tins from them. Most were at least five years old, some quite a bit older. Turns out they mostly sold cigars and the owner’s husband only smoked a pipe occasionally, so most of their tins didn’t sell very well. I think I almost single-handedly turned over their inventory, lol. Good times.

On a positive note I made a good friend in their main employee and tobacco ordering person who still to this day sets aside my favorite blends from Esoterica, G&H, Germains, Wessex, etc., and calls me to offer first dibs and mails them to me! He has an index card with my information and my likes and is an absolute rock star about the whole thing. It really pays to patronize your local shops - they need you and the perks far outweigh the additional costs. Besides, you meet cool people who just might become good friends over the years! Win/win.