They Have Ruined Condor - I May Give Up Smoking!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I concur the Polaski stuff is(ahem) different. It dosen't slice the same and the taste is off...

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"Is the Condor Long Cut and Plug from 2016 the original or the new?"
Anybody who knows? Just asking!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh man, I am very sorry. I discovered Black Frigate almost twenty years ago, and even after changing hands a few years back, it has remained the same. If it ever changed, I may have to hang it up as well.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I'm waiting for this one to be back in stock don't ruin it thank you very much. lol :puffpipe:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
factory closed totally May 2017 but had been in relocation from May 2016

see here

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-36335799

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@pepsdad1 I would think the 2016 is probably the Northern Island made Condor however since the early 2000s I have noticed changes in the topping. Anything made in Poland is most certainly different and if you remember I first remarked on this with the 'Spanish' branded packages of Condor RR. I suppose what I miss is that 'washing up liquid' taste that you used to get with Condor not dissimilar to Fairy Washing Up soap. I am smoking an older plug as I write this and you can certainly taste the difference but I await Jim Inks thoughts with baited breath.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Never tried it so at least i do not know what i am missing. Sorry to all you gents that love the stuff. Hope you can find something else you love!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for the information @condorlover1.
This was my first introduction to a truly fine tasting tobacco. I have several long cut flakes left that I've hoarded like it was gold. Matter of fact I'd rather have the original Condor than its' weight in gold. So sorry to see it go. I read the story from the bbc....folks with pride making a fine product.

Yes, they were gutted as is the smokers of their fine product.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I smoked some of the plug Simon sent me. Below is my older review with an update on the new stuff:
This is the same as the long flake and ready rubbed with two exceptions. The sweet flavors here seem subtly more pronounced and fermented than they are in the other cuts. The floralness is very slightly less obvious. And while I gave this the same strength and taste ratings as the others, I'd say this just a tad less so in both departments, though that may be because I get a slight more smoothness here. The differences are minor, but I notice them. Therefore, the rest of this review is essentially a duplicate of the Long Flake version, though the plug may need more relights.
The flavor of the Virginia is mostly hidden, though I do get some earth and a hint of grass from it. The topping is a little perfumy and soapy, and definitely floral. I get some dark fruitiness (slightly tangy) which may come from either the topping or the tobacco; it's a little hard to decide which, but perhaps it's from both. I sense a little citrus, too. There’s a slight sharpness to it that I associate with burley, so perhaps a little is present? Has a nice nic-hit. Not as overwhelming as I had expected, which is a plus, but I consider this to be more for an experienced smoker. Fully flavored, burns slow with a consistent taste, which is more of an acquired one for many smokers. Leaves no moisture or dottle. May require more relights than the other versions, depending upon how you prepare the flake. It's not an all day smoke, but if this fits your flavor profile, repetition will enter your mind. Will ghost a pipe fast, so be prepared to either dedicate a briar or a cob to it. I suggest trying it out in a meer first.
Update: 6-1-2018:

Condor is now made in Poland, much to its detriment. The tobaccos have less strength and (practically no) nuances. The toppings are different, and weaker, though some soap and floralness is present. Has a bitter, unattractive sourness not present in the older manufacture. Will still ghost a briar and a meer. In the last third of the bowl, I detected a cigarette note that I never experienced before. The plug itself is moister and more pliable than before. In short, it’s not the same plug as before. This version gets one star.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Wow. So there it is. The end of a great blend. Thanks Jim for verifying what Simon tasted, and what I suspected although my palette isn't sophisticated enough to spell it out, other than it tasted weaker to me. That is such a shame. I'm not sure which is worse, the end of production, like in Velvan and McQuaid, Warrior Plug, etc. or the adulteration of a blend so that it is just a mere shadow of what it was. Either way, the value of pre-Polish Condor just shot up. I'll have to ration my lot even more now. Unless....Hawky I'm on my way to Austin right now to raid your stash :wink:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
cati.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you Jim for confirming my fears. I suppose I will have to change my screen name from 'Condor Lover' to something like 'Prince Alberts Lover' actually maybe not as that sounds just a little bit perverse. I must now go in search of a new Rose Geranium Plug.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Condorlover I feel your pain. As I said before and above...I'll ration out the flakes I have for very special occasions...my birthday, anniversary and saving a flake for when I am cremated (I'll have that wonderful smell forever).

Status
Not open for further replies.