PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember when you post a thread, you may be trying to solve a problem or answer

a question in your own pipe smoking life, but you are also posing the subject for

a question for discussion that may live on for months or a year or more. Recently,

someone got the answer to their question and made a pipe purchase and said, okay,

this thread is closed! But this is a community discussion, and the discussion goes on

for the benefit of others who may have the same question or have an interest in the

subject. So remember, when you post a New Topic in this Forum, you are introducing

a subject that is then available on a continuing basis for members, even for months

to come. This isn't a customer service line, it's a Forum!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
So remember, when you post a New Topic in this Forum, you are introducing

a subject that is then available on a continuing basis for members, even for months

Nicely said! I can't even being to recount the number of old threads I've used as very helpful references.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
So remember, when you post a New Topic in this Forum, you are introducing

:rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen a few threads fished up from the past and bumped back to the top. I was really surprised.

It happened to one I started, and I had to think a while before I remembered posting it. It was fairly

good, as I recall.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I don't mind threadsurrection at all. There's a ton of good information archived in this and other forums (fora?), and it's nice to see something relevant bumped and be able to read it all at one go. There's also input available from some members who don't post any more and would not respond to new threads.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Old threads are great, especially ones that are very informational or picture heavy (cellar and racks come to mind). I have no problem with bumping old threads.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Good reminder. I find it frustrating when a search brings up older threads where someone asked about an issue similar to one I am having, and people gave advice but the OP never reported back on whether or not (and how) they solved a particular problem or what ended up working best for them. This is especially true of newbie-type posts, I think. Advice from experienced pipe smokers is obviously a huge help, but so is hearing from someone who is (was) experiencing the same thing you are at that very moment. They may be able to add a little detail or two that long-time smokers have forgotten, since it's been so long since they've really had to deal with these beginners' issues.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Excellent assertion Thomas!
This also reminds me of times when I will receive a private message from a newbie asking for advice, which happens about once a month on average.
My standard answer is:
Please post your question in the forums. We have a knowledgeable and friendly community, and there is no such thing as a dumb question.
When you do this, it benefits many others who may also be seeking the same information.
Another benefit is that you will get input from many people with all different levels of knowledge and experience.
You will also get much faster answers than sending me a PM that I might not answer right away.
Regarding the bumping of old threads:
It is generally considered bad form to bump old threads. However, there is a uniqueness here in that we are involved in a hobby that can have many subtle intricacies that require some learning experience.
Usually when an old thread gets bumped here, it is actually a good thing.
Not to mention that it brings in traffic and new members when they "Google" for the info. If you are searching for information about this hobby and do a Google search, PM usually shows up somewhere on the first results page.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I love the cellar pics. It helps me to know where to go when the zombie apocalypse happens.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
Searching the forums is a great tool. There seems to always be a new-to-me term or brand to search for, and learn about!

Status
Not open for further replies.