Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
While my lovely wife and I were smoking a pipe today, Cyndi found this article and sent to my email. Very interesting as I've only used matches a few times and never really paid any attention to the dynamic changes in my smoking experience between lighters and matches. I know many of you have championed matches and I think I know at least a little about why they appeal to so many.
Enjoy the read!
The Thermodynamics of Pipe Smoking

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That is a good article.

My experience has been (although anecdotal) is that matches during the light is much cooler than butane.

And, imparts a much more flavorful and enjoyable smoke.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
A wonderful article. I personally find that matches impart a very...matchy taste to the first part of the smoke, that I don't particularly like. The same with fuel lighters like Zippos. I really only use a butane/bic disposable lighter because it doesnt do that for me.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
With the few times I've used matches, I got that match taste with one light and I think that was because I lit and stuck it to the tobacco right away. The other times, I struck the match and let first whoosh of flame to get to the wood before I put it to the tobacco and had a much better experience. The only downside to that is you have to light a little faster or burn fingers, lol.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
For some fortunate reason I'd started using matches for my pipe mainly because a bic would char my bowl and the fuel nauseates me. Went straight to matches, and then came across that thermodynamics article and a few others as well as discussions on this site and others. For my money, it's the only way to go--just let the head flash off and you've got plenty of time to light. Relight? I spend about 3$ a month on matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.