PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I remember when I would go out for my 105 min or 120 min smoke. Then found out my other med problems and cut down on pipe smoke. Way I figure it, or thought, longer exposure to nicotine wouldn't be any help to my condition. And one of the neurosurgeon actually told me to quit everything. I fired him and got a new one.

Since then, I have just sticked to the energy sticks. Only smoke half way, and mostly less than 10 a day. I'm itching to smoke pipes, but 1 hour or more of smoking still bothers me. Not the nicotine, but the actual time spent on being out there. Time is short, and I want to cram in as much activities as possible of what I have left.

My father passed away when he was 78. Most of my uncles passed away past 80. My grandmother on my mother's side lived well over 90, but she's not bio grandmother, and I have no idea how long bio grandmother lived.

My father's side, grandfather passed away in his 40s due to a stomach cancer, but back then who knew what it was really about? Grandmother passed was due to a traffic accident.

I'll be 57 this year, so I figured I have 20 years at most left. That's more than 50 years that I figured when I wás in highschool.

I have number of my beloved Peterson and shit ton of tobacco. At most I smoked a bowl a day. I need to figure out how to smoke pipes in a short time without rushing it. I mean, back when I smoked daily, 105 min wasn't a big deal. But now, it seems like a long time.

Last edited:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I often enjoy shorter pipe sessions throughout the day; sometimes just 20-30 minutes. I know you love your Petersons bullet, and I have a Peterson "Junior" that is right-sized for a quick smoke.
Of course, you can always pack partial bowls, or even divide a full bowl into multiple sessions (see also: DGT). I like to run a pipe cleaner through the stem/stummel if I'm going to let the pipe go out and finish later. But that's just me. I'm a bit picky about keeping my tools clean. But you have options, friend.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
I need to figure out how to smoke pipes in a short time without rushing it.
Unless you are trying to get a nicotine fix, I cannot see any reason to not smoke for five(5) or ten (10) minutes at a time.

Perhaps sending me the bulk of your shit ton of tobacco would cause you to be more desirous of the remaining opportunity to smoke those Petersons.
(I mean that in a tobacco availability sense, not in a time sense.)

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Well my friend, I want to first extend to you sympathy for your health conditions, and a sincere hope that you would enjoy a swift and full recovery from what ails you. My hasty first suggestion would be that you could try a small bowled pipe. My smallest pipe is a Dr Grabow Grand Duke, and it comes in around 30 mins (unless it's loaded with warhorse bar).
However, on reflection, I think it would be better for you to deeply consider giving yourself the freedom to enjoy your pipes and tobaccos without guilt. Quality over quantity might be useful. Could you just cut back on frequency? When you do indulge yourself, you might do it in the most satisfying way.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to hear of your health problems.
Try smaller sized bowls or only load 2/3s full

Back when I smoked cigars, an hour plus smoke was the norm.
When I got back to pipes, I gave away most of my smaller bowled pipes.

Recently I smoked a bowl of Stonehaven in an EXEXEL Barling which lasted 75+minutes.
It was a good smoke, but I got bored towards the end.
My preferred bowl size is now a Group 3-4 which gives me 30 - 40mins

I also use meer chips or Nording Keystones which also reduce the tobacco load

Reactions: JOHN72 and bullet08

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sit down and relax. Live in the moment. Want a long smoke? Do it. None of us are on this earth for long so, do what you enjoy, within reason and enjoy, as much as possible whatever time you have left. Both of my brothers are currently outliving our parents grandparents. I was adopted so I have no idea of family history. So, I trust my genes and thank the Lord every morning I wake up still above ground.

If you want a long smoke, enjoy. Quite contemplating what might happen tomorrow, take a page from my dawg, enjoy the moment. You've already lived longer than you anticipated and you really have no idea how much longer you could go on. Might kick off tonight! Do what you legitimately enjoy, consider your health along the way and revel in the time you have. You honestly have no idea how much time you have so, no sense worrying yourself into an early grave. It's not about the length of life, it's about the quality of your life.

I want my survivors and friends to be able to look at each other, smile and say, "He had a good run."

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I remember when I would go out for my 105 min or 120 min smoke. Then found out my other med problems and cut down on pipe smoke. Way I figure it, or thought, longer exposure to nicotine wouldn't be any help to my condition. And one of the neurosurgeon actually told me to quit everything. I fired him and got a new one.

Since then, I have just sticked to the energy sticks. Only smoke half way, and mostly less than 10 a day. I'm itching to smoke pipes, but 1 hour or more of smoking still bothers me. Not the nicotine, but the actual time spent on being out there. Time is short, and I want to cram in as much activities as possible of what I have left.

My father passed away when he was 78. Most of my uncles passed away past 80. My grandmother on my mother's side lived well over 90, but she's not bio grandmother, and I have no idea how long bio grandmother lived.

My father's side, grandfather passed away in his 40s due to a stomach cancer, but back then who knew what it was really about? Grandmother passed was due to a traffic accident.

I'll be 57 this year, so I figured I have 20 years at most left. That's more than 50 years that I figured when I wás in highschool.

I have number of my beloved Peterson and shit ton of tobacco. At most I smoked a bowl a day. I need to figure out how to smoke pipes in a short time without rushing it. I mean, back when I smoked daily, 105 min wasn't a big deal. But now, it seems like a long time.

Live long and prosper, anyway. Who wants to live forever? Sometimes we have to navigate a balance between quality and quantity of life; here’s to hoping you find that.

I often enjoy shorter pipe sessions throughout the day; sometimes just 20-30 minutes. I know you love your Petersons bullet, and I have a Peterson "Junior" that is right-sized for a quick smoke.
Of course, you can always pack partial bowls, or even divide a full bowl into multiple sessions (see also: DGT). I like to run a pipe cleaner through the stem/stummel if I'm going to let the pipe go out and finish later. But that's just me. I'm a bit picky about keeping my tools clean. But you have options, friend.

You beat me to it. Ideally, I like to sit and enjoy a bowl from beginning to end, but more often than not, I smoke mine in sessions. Smoke for a while, and when you get antsy or have something to attend to, put it down, let it go out, relight when desired. I often have a couple unfinished pipes with different blends sitting in the pipe ashtray because of this … who plays by the rules?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I prefer larger bowled pipes and when I want a short smoke I wad the tobacco and only load the top half ... seriously. I also will put a pipe down and come back to it later. This morning I just finished a bowl I had left over from yesterday ... tasty.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I hope I die at 100mph on my Harley, falling from my horse, enjoying the company of my love, off in a canyon somewhere because I prefer to hunt the desert solo, or doing anything else I enjoy.

If something makes me miserable, I don’t do it.

Life’s too short to not enjoy it by focusing on extending it. Too bad no one yet has reported back on how whatever comes next actually is.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Pretty confused by this as it always taken me longer to smoke a stick then sit with a pipe. Plus the fact that you can put the pipe down whenever and come back to it later. Whenever I smoke a cigar I feel locked in because of the fact I cant stop and come back to it and find them much less approachable for that reason. I always have to set time aside for a cigar but light the pipe whenever.

Not to mention you can smoke a pipe that has a small chamber, no need to go out and smoke a pipe with a 2” chamber everytime.

Sounds like you are just over pipe smoking to me.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Just get some small pipes! A small pipe with a chamber depth of around 1" to 1.2" and a chamber diameter of 0.68" or so will provide you with a 20 to 30 minute smoke depending on the cut of the tobacco, and there's lots of great inexpensive small pipes out there to choose from.

20240327163212_IMG_4846~2.JPG

From left to right:
- Morgan Bones Milan
- Rossi Piccolo
- Rattray's Blower's Daughter
- Dr. Grabow Lark
- Peterson Junior Rusticated Billiard
- AKB Meerschaum Carved Wolf

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I almost died two years from an auto immune disease from Long Covid. Even though I have smoked a pipe since 1980 I did not smoke as much as I wanted due to work etc. Now that I am retired and almost died I realized that if I don't do the things I want to do now, when do I really expect to do them-when I die? I don't think so. Now I have enjoyed hour long smokes several times a day and enjoy every moment of life that I have left. I have been told on several occasions that people with my condition have lost 10 to 20 years of life span. I'm 67 so chances are I am not going to make it to 95 which was how old my mother was when she died last week. I pick up my pipe and enjoy every bowl I smoke-life is short my friend.