Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know where my Exotic Orange is.

img_20170126_074406.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There are stupid questions. Examples that spring to mind are 'Why do people buy Clan tobacco?'. Another is 'Should I risk ridicule by buying that huge calabash pipe and smoke it whilst wearing a deerstalker hat in my local bar?'. Other examples are 'Should it really do that when I rub it with a cloth' etc!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
This appears to make perfect sense...but quantum mechanics allows for other possibilities.

This is an excellent point. Jay, I am sorry to say you may end up endlessly searching for your tin while navigating various issues in a new identity each week as you travel through time from scenario to scenario with only the help of a bumbling cigar smoking goon from the future.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I hate to be "that guy" but quantum mechanics does not imply other possibilities.

It does not make sense to apply quantum mechanics to the macroscopic world. Most of what you hear about quantum mechanics is just talk and falls more under the realm of "speculation" since we still don't fully understand many of the implications, many of which are likely just mathematical curiosities and don't exist in the real world (or at least in the macroscopic world).

Also, and owing to the fact that I'm a Copenhagen Interpretation kind of guy, I believe that act of finding, or seeing, said unaccounted for tin would cause the various wave states of the tin to collapse to the outcome of the tin being where you are seeing it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I hate to be "that guy" but quantum mechanics does not imply other possibilities.

It does not make sense to apply quantum mechanics to the macroscopic world. Most of what you hear about quantum mechanics is just talk and falls more under the realm of "speculation" since we still don't fully understand many of the implications, many of which are likely just mathematical curiosities and don't exist in the real world (or at least in the macroscopic world).

Also, and owing to the fact that I'm a Copenhagen Interpretation kind of guy, I believe that act of finding, or seeing, said unaccounted for tin would cause the various wave states of the tin to collapse to the outcome of the tin being where you are seeing it.
Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

Forget QM, I can‘t even use plain old nuclear physics in my pipe smoking. I told the customs officer that, technically, that tin of Plum Pudding was mostly just empty space, so I shouldn’t have to pay the full duty. I was not successful. He didn’t even know who Feynman was.

Status
Not open for further replies.