PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Yesterday, I went to my friend's house and realized that he's starting to smoke a pipe now!
While trying to "teach" him (even though I'm still a beginner) I realized that his pipe tool was not the usual Czech pipe tool.
In fact, his pipe tool was a lot heavier than mine and I could just tamp down the ash with no force at all.
And this incident got me pondering upon the ideal weight of pipe tamper.
So the question is: How heavy should a pipe tamper be in order to fulfill his duty well?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's a matter of preference... I like relatively light tampers.

I like to tamp frequently, it helps (me) with smoking a bowl into the 1-3/4 to 2 hour range, sometimes a little longer. (Haven't broken the 2-1/2 hour mark yet. Come close a couple of times.)

It needs to be heavy enough to tamp down the ash and light enough not to pack the tobacco any tighter than it was packed to begin with.

A lot of guys on here will say they tamp only once every 10 minutes or so... And that; I'm sure, is true.

But, for me I tamp nearly continuously when I'm going for time.

About once a minute when I'm not.

Also; one subtle point... I like to twist the tamper with just enough pressure to sand down the ash without packing the tobacco.

This technique is particularly useful AND important on the False Light, before the True if you want a good light.

IMHO

Edit: To me tamper design is just as important as is functionality. Here are my two favorites. One is my "Home" tamper, the other smaller one is my "Pocket" model.

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

:puffy:

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I prefer a lighter tamper myself, especially if it is one I'm carrying in my pocket. When I first started making tampers I was using rounded stainless steel bolts for the tamp end. Then I got my metal lathe and started using aluminum, which is lighter and holds up well for the tamp end.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Mushroom: you have to go down South and wash his cars every weekend for two months, then you might get on his list of prospective recipients. :rofl:

alingeorgia

Lurker
Feb 14, 2012
Your tamper is your index finger. No kidding. If you're worried about smoking in the rain, turn your pipe upside down. Wear a fedora, it looks great. Use a straight stem pipe, though. Otherwise you look like a fool.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
alingeorgia, I admit to occasional finger-insertion method, as well.
I've been mostly using 3 inch aluminum screw blanks that have 1/4 inch non-threaded body and 3/8 inch diameter flat heads. I customize the other end as a spoon "digger". Got them in a yard-sale hardware box-lot. They are now in every jacket/coat pocket. Always seeking other alternatives and additions, though.
In the interest of something heftier, I am casually seeking an old-time painted (upright-standing) toy lead-soldier and plan to dremel the flat base (stand) for universal bowl fit.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
So, you caught that sneaky one!
Mastery of the double-entendre takes much practice. Luckily, the early failures simply go unnoticed.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
In fact, his pipe tool was a lot heavier than mine and I could just tamp down the ash with no force at all.
And this incident got me pondering upon the ideal weight of pipe tamper.
So the question is: How heavy should a pipe tamper be in order to fulfill his duty well?
I don't see how the weight of a tamper has any effect on how well it tamps. The amount of tamp can be controlled by the amount of downward force applied to it. You can tamp lightly with a 10 lb. tamper if it will fit in the bowl,likewise you can tamp heavily with one that weighs 1/2 OZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.