PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I live in Sydney, Australia where the weather is temperate most of the year. I only smoke outside - front porch or in the backyard.
However after a mostly mild summer, we have just had 4 days of @ 40C (@ 100F) temperatures - much too hot (at least for me) to
be outside enjoying a smoke - apart from a blanket ban on lighting ALL fires out doors. I live with the "bush" literally across the road
- so a very real risk of bushfire(s).

I know a lot of you have smoking rooms and man-caves. But for those of us who don't, does the weather ever put a stop to you enjoying your pipe(s) ?

Reactions: UncleRasta

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
No. We get around 100 here, but under the shade, it's not too bad. Humidity does make it hard occasionally. During winter, wool watch cap is your friend.

Reactions: OzPiper

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Absolutely. Sometimes even here in the northeast it's so hot that the only thing to smoke is a Salmon. Summer is for cigars for us ( there are no Salmon to be easily had in Massachusetts).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The only time weather affects me is when it rains. I won't smoke a pipe outside in the rain. I will when it snows, but I generally pick a cheaper pipe then. Other than that, weather doesn't affect what I smoke indoors or outdoors.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Most definitely. I am in the mountains an hour north of Los Angeles, and we get a full four seasons here. Right now, in the middle of winter, daytime and nighttime temps are around 40 and 25 respectively (sorry, I know you're on centigrade down there). This definitely limits the time I can spend piping. Even on a sunny day, when the sun goes behind the mountain (about an hour before true sunset), forget about it. My nuts would be up in my neck if I tried it. My wife and I rent, so smoking indoors is 100% a no go, which I'm actually fine with. Come April, it'll be much more tolerable to be outside, weather-wise anyway (the noise generated by the stupid shit people do in the summer is still an obvious problem). Meanwhile, inclement weather just gives me a chance to be on here, enjoying the chat stream of the various personalities on here, and keeping an eye on the tobacco for sale section. One never knows when a Drew Estate tin will show up.

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Never had the problem of it being too hot here. Mostly either too wet (luckily I have a carport to smoke in at home) or occasionally too cold (mostly due to wind) but the cold is less of an issue.

I’m always an outdoor smoker though, legally aren’t allowed in any indoor public places and we have been a smoke free house since I quit cigarettes (which I quite like).

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I live in Sydney, Australia where the weather is temperate most of the year. I only smoke outside - front porch or in the backyard.
However after a mostly mild summer, we have just had 4 days of @ 40C (@ 100F) temperatures - much too hot (at least for me) to
be outside enjoying a smoke - apart from a blanket ban on lighting ALL fires out doors. I live with the "bush" literally across the road
- so a very real risk of bushfire(s).

I know a lot of you have smoking rooms and man-caves. But for those of us who don't, does the weather ever put a stop to you enjoying your pipe(s) ?
Hurricanes do sometimes, but not always.

• Wow

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Humidity? NJ summers are considered a “dry rain”. We sweat in the shower. High humidity makes hot weather miserable. But very early mornings are tolerable.

Even so, I can take or leave the pipe. Maybe a summer evening after a bbq or pool party. Also, the Mosquito is the New Jersey State Bird. Smoke helps.

Nonetheless, the Fall signals pipe weather. My favorite season of the year.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
Below 40f ruins it for me. Shivering while trying to taste hot air. Hot and humid bother me not a whit. In the cold I prefer aromatics and English, in the hot, Virginia’s, VAPers and VAOrs

Reactions: smknron

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
When the temp drops into the teens and below....that's usually a stop-point for me. Heat...no issue. I'm an outside smoker, usually on my patio or covered porch. I have a large bar/man-cave, but there is an open stairwell to the main floor that will draft smoke right up to the main floor. When the elements are at work, or it drops under 40, I'll smoke in the garage (I have a pretty large 4-car garage with a bay open for sitting/heated.

In the Alabama summertime, temps will soar over 100F frequently in the summers. The asphalt gets sticky, the ground gets parched, and it is only ever 90F in the shade. But, I smoke my pipes indoors, and when outside, I'd much prefer a cigar.
If I am smoking my pipes outside in the summer, I prefer something with sweetness to it, a sweeter Virginia blend or cased burley, to keep my mouth from drying out.

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Here in Indiana I have a fine back porch with a roof and a fine garage I can heat in colder weather.

But I am far from a daily smoker, there are times I may go weeks or more. So if I feel the weather is a problem or too much hassle for the garage, I just pass.

One of my favorite times is bring wood up from the barn on the tractor in winter. I may sit inside the barn and watch a snow or enjoy the sound of nothing for some time. I usually bring a pipe for that...

pip01

Apr 3, 2018
NJ
Same here. Too cold last few days. I find myself rushing which is no fun. Same in the summer when it's too hot. Best time for piping in the Northeast is mid to late spring and early fall to early winter.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
The weather here in Florida really never stops me from enjoying my pipe outside, although the heavy rains might make me hurry to get under a roof. I've been in Ft. Covington NY when it would get well below zero too, but still, I would stay outside smoking. :sher:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have the opposite problem. When it gets below 0F it becomes more hassle than it's worth. Standing outside looking like you're ready to climb K2 just to puff a bowl. Other than that it's fine year round. I did once have a glob of wet snow fall off my roof right into the chamber and put my bowl out though. Standing there looking like a kid who's ice cream just fell off the cone.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have the opposite problem. When it gets below 0F it becomes more hassle than it's worth. Standing outside looking like you're ready to climb K2 just to puff a bowl. Other than that it's fine year round. I did once have a glob of wet snow fall off my roof right into the chamber and put my bowl out though. Standing there looking like a kid who's ice cream just fell off the cone.
That reminds me of the time when I had a nice blend drying out on a board in the shed while I was fixing the water main. The pipe burst and sent a geyser of water straight into the air and landed directly on top of my tobacco. FML

• Haha

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That reminds me of the time when I had a nice blend drying out on a board in the shed while I was fixing the water main. The pipe burst and sent a geyser of water straight into the air and landed directly on top of my tobacco. FML
anigif_enhanced-946-1433453114-7.gif

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka