PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Why would you want to press it?
I use a press to make Perique. Used to do plugs but I've gotten away from making them lately.

Don't need a pressure gauge but I would just like to know how much pressure I am actually applying.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
After youtube sensation Does it blend channel I sense the start of a new youtube channel: Does it plug?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Despite not having got around to making a proper former I was itching to have another go at tobacco pressing. Of course my first attempt involved destroying the PVC former to extract my plug of tobacco so something else was needed to act as such until I have a proper reusable wooden or steel former. I spied in a kitchen cupboard a small tin of Coleman's Mustard Powder that though rather thin was actually made of steel so this I have now used for my second experiment.
Whereas I rushed everything last time and opened up the former after only two days, this time I shall wait much longer. As can clearly be seen in the last picture, my former it very swollen at the bottom...this is a good sign just so long as it holds! I am not rushing things here, just adding a half turn or so every 12 hours so hopefully it won't burst on me. The device used by the way is a rock trimmer with the hardened steel chisels removed and is capable of exerting great pressure.
14x1-600x450.jpg

15x-600x450.jpg

16x-600x450.jpg

Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jitterbug, one of my hobbies is (micro) mineral collecting and to find that elusive crystal or stack of crystals much (carefully selected) host rock needs to be split into smaller pieces then inspected under the microscope to reveal what is inside.
Simple really :puffy:
It's just that it occurred to me a couple of weeks ago the trimmer would make a great plug maker and indeed it does. My first attempt gave me Red Dog Plug which is a cracking good result for a first experiment.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Colman's Mustard is pretty much the best stuff ever."
Indeed it is Brett but not too sure about using it as a tobacco additive though :puffy:
As it happens, it was yourself who suggested adding some burley to my mixture of Curly Cut and Brown Bogie to 'ease' it a little. My first plug was just the CC and BB mix but since then I took your advice and mixed in a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake and it is that mixture that is now pressing in the Coleman's tin!
Regards,
Jay.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It was a beautiful day here is Pennsylvania, a perfect afternoon to put the BaccyPacker™ to good use. I've had a few big Mylar bags full of bulk that needed to be portioned into 8oz jars for long-term cellaring....

D5D7941DEA9F72B32A139D82D_edit-vi.jpg
872F6411687B1018289CD6E5C_edit-vi.jpg

987EB46769F6075C8C6056475_edit-vi.jpg
I haven't made much more headway on welding up forms for the hydraulic press. Too much other life-type stuff keeps getting in the way.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like the "hockey puck" UK plugz. These seem to work the best for condensing flavor and, ah, Nicotine.
I have a neighbor who is obese that I may be enlisting in this quest...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I mostly do this as way of fitting more 'baccy into the jar, but it does compress down to a pretty hard cake, especially if the tobacco is a bit moist.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
This thread is too good to die. Thanks for the ideas.
NO, I am NOT going to try my 80 ton hydraulic press for filling jars. 8O But, if I can find my bottle capper, I may try that. It should press what I want to press.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Go for it, Ken!!
Rereading parts of this thread, I wonder why I didn't comment on Dan's "Rich and Strange" label. I can just see my wife's reaction...."Yeah, I'm just heading downtown to pick up some rich and strange."

Status
Not open for further replies.