PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
For some reason I think it's interesting to hear about which tobaccos the pipe makers prefer.

I've learned that Tom Eltang preferred OGS and Bo Nordh smoked Marlin Flake.

Really curious about this so posts will be appreciated.
Hope this isn't a re-post.

Jul 15, 2011
C&Ds Briar Fox was apparently either a direct choice of or a close approximation to the preferred blend of pipe maker Peter Heeschen(sp?). Jim Boswell also said that he created Northwoods out of his desire to have a light English that he could smoke all day.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I believe Mark Tinsky smokes Navy Flake a lot.
Scottie likes Red Flake.
I smoke Club Blend.
Ryan Alden smokes whatever he's stolen from other people's bags.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I recall Michael Parks on a PM Radio podcast from years ago claiming that he prefers VAs -- I think it was one of the first podcasts?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I knew at one point in time what Dan Chelbove, Ryan Alden and Scotty Piersal were smoking, but I've forgotten. Also knew that Greg Pease was smoking Quiet Nights at the same time I was, but I bet he mixes it up with his blends as well as others. Does the help?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do smoke and have smoked many pipe blends, but none of those smoked by pipe makers, I guess because I don't make pipes. This is an interesting thread. It sounds like a lot of carvers seek out the lesser known blends and come to enjoy them. I was sent a sample plug of Briar Fox and though I sometimes enjoy a milder blend, that one was just too mild for me. A milder English blend I enjoy is Nat Sherman 536, which I always recommend as one of the most refined English blends, and it has burley which nearly always appeals to me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A lot of cigarettes and beer in my experience.
I sat with Peter Matzhold for quite some time on Friday evening at the Chicago Show. That precisely describes him. I can't remember now exactly why he said he doesn't smoke a pipe that often. Might be because his pipes are so expensive, he couldn't afford to smoke one. LOL He certainly was a super nice fellow, enjoyed smoking a couple of bowls of tobacco while he smoked half a pack of cigarettes and we chatted.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Very interesting with different viewpoints on the subject.
Latvian pipe maker Sasha Bondarev prefers virginias.

I'm not sure linking is allowed but he mentions his favourites on his website.

Seems that many pipe makers prefer VA for some reason.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
npod,
Cigarettes - that's quite strange in a way.

You would think that pipe makers and others who are quite deep into pipe culture would smoke only premium tobaccos but maybe cigs provide a fast nicotine delivery, maybe they get tired of packing or something.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cigarettes - that's quite strange in a way.

You would think that pipe makers and others who are quite deep into pipe culture would smoke only premium tobaccos but maybe cigs provide a fast nicotine delivery, maybe they get tired of packing or something.
Many of us use multiple forms of tobacco. Pipes, cigarettes, chew, nasal snuff, and cigars. "Pipe culture" is just another means of tobacco consumption.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
True. I use snuff myself on regular basis.

What I was going for is that I found it strange one can appreciate cigarettes after smoking high quality pipe tobacco.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
McClelland's Red Virginia's are my favorite. I also smoke Dan's DaVinci and Reiner's Professional a lot. I don't like or smoke cigarettes, cigars, or vaping although I've tried them all and smoked cigarettes from my teens until I was 28 then quit cold turkey after becoming very ill. I'll have a cigar from time to time but I always wish I was smoking a pipe instead when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.