The Sweetest Virginia (Flake) You've Had?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
SG Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake have always tasted sweet to me. Dunhill/Peterson Flake also has a great natural sweetness.
I probably need to go back to FVF, it was so long ago I have forgotten how it is, but I remember it to be too stout for my liking. Im very into mellow and sweet blends now. I think BBF is one of the most difficult flakes to get enjoyment out of, IMHO, I find it to be very sharp. But Im glad someone mentioned Peterson Flake, because when smoked as flake (not rubbed out) and sipped at in a good pipe I find it to be sweet and nice. However, even with a couple of years of age it is still very stout and can be a bit sharp, especially at the end of the bowl.

Reactions: AJL67

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
I have stopped using sugar so Iam sensitive to ultra sweet blends.I find Newminster too sweet.FVF is just right but it is hard to come by in Europe.HH Virginia flake is a naturally sweet blend and is available at Estervals.
I have also stopped using sugar, I find that it has helped me appreciate natural sweetness from tobacco much more than before. It can be recommended for that reason alone, it makes pipe smoking better :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am also a big fan of sweet Virginia flakes. I have a major sweet tooth in all things. Hell I even allow myself a bowl of Captain Crunch once ever couple of months.
For easily available blends Capstan Blue Flake and Peterson Flake are two I think you would enjoy. I also enjoy the Plum topping on Peterson University Flake. It is not a goopy aromatic. It comes in beautiful flakes and the topping is put on just right, not too much but enough so you know it is there.

I don't now if these are hard to find where you are but here in the states they are.
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake and Brown Virginia Flake
Astleys no 44 Dark Flake and no 109 Medium Flake

I have a thing about bulk tobacco, it tastes fine but it takes up way too much room if you are going for quantity.

One thing I have to disclose is that my suggestions and tastes are from tobacco's that have been aged for ten years plus except 2 which are 9 years old. The only experience I have had with a new blend was I received a new tin of Astleys no 44. It was hard to compare to my 2012 44, but I definitely enjoyed the bowl for the flavors it did have and I would not hesitate loading up on it if I needed to as I believe it will age nicely.. The flakes are just perfectly formed where as the old 2012 flakes are kind of fused together and you have to rip them in chunks, no biggie but the new stuff is prettier.

I see a lot of people recommend the Westminster's Slices in bulk. When I built almost all of my cellar in 2012-2013 I am not sure it was available. Once I learned it was a bulk I said no way. I have no room for more bulks and I have never tried it even though plenty of guys love it. I know if I tried it and enjoyed it I would have to buy a dozen pounds and I just cannot find the room. Sometimes ignorance it totally bliss. I think it is fantastic that all you guys have found a great flake at a great price and are loading up as much as you can. You never know when it will go off the market or when. the blend may change.

One thing I did to build my 200 pound plus cellar deep in almost a year was to get a test tin and if I liked it I would order in 25,50 or 100 tins at a shot. I concentrated on one blend at a time so I could have what I wanted and never had to look back. There were times when I would order 75 tins of one blend and 50 of another. I have one blend where I went over the 215 tin mark and that is the Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. Almost all of mine is 2012 and I have some 2013. It is one of the few wrap around flakes I have to deal with but it is so worth it. Talk about a sweet tooth, it has big molasses flavors and is a dream to smoke.

I hope you can find some blends we can't get in the states and you can trade them to guys here. I would research if your country allows urine samples to be sent over seas and to also be able to receive them. Think outside the box. Chlamydial samples would keep most nosy customs guys from opening your package. lol

Reactions: karam

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Sweetest tobacco right off the bat with no special techniques, for me, Newminster 400.

there are some other great suggestions like Wessex Dark Flake, watch city Red and Black, Gawith Best Brown.

but for availability and downright sweetness, Newminster 400

Reactions: pipesolitude

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am also a big fan of sweet Virginia flakes. I have a major sweet tooth in all things. Hell I even allow myself a bowl of Captain Crunch once ever couple of months.
For easily available blends Capstan Blue Flake and Peterson Flake are two I think you would enjoy. I also enjoy the Plum topping on Peterson University Flake. It is not a goopy aromatic. It comes in beautiful flakes and the topping is put on just right, not too much but enough so you know it is there.

I don't now if these are hard to find where you are but here in the states they are.

I have a thing about bulk tobacco, it tastes fine but it takes up way too much room if you are going for quantity.

One thing I have to disclose is that my suggestions and tastes are from tobacco's that have been aged for ten years plus except 2 which are 9 years old. The only experience I have had with a new blend was I received a new tin of Astleys no 44. It was hard to compare to my 2012 44, but I definitely enjoyed the bowl for the flavors it did have and I would not hesitate loading up on it if I needed to as I believe it will age nicely.. The flakes are just perfectly formed where as the old 2012 flakes are kind of fused together and you have to rip them in chunks, no biggie but the new stuff is prettier.

I see a lot of people recommend the Westminster's Slices in bulk. When I built almost all of my cellar in 2012-2013 I am not sure it was available. Once I learned it was a bulk I said no way. I have no room for more bulks and I have never tried it even though plenty of guys love it. I know if I tried it and enjoyed it I would have to buy a dozen pounds and I just cannot find the room. Sometimes ignorance it totally bliss. I think it is fantastic that all you guys have found a great flake at a great price and are loading up as much as you can. You never know when it will go off the market or when. the blend may change.

One thing I did to build my 200 pound plus cellar deep in almost a year was to get a test tin and if I liked it I would order in 25,50 or 100 tins at a shot. I concentrated on one blend at a time so I could have what I wanted and never had to look back. There were times when I would order 75 tins of one blend and 50 of another. I have one blend where I went over the 215 tin mark and that is the Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. Almost all of mine is 2012 and I have some 2013. It is one of the few wrap around flakes I have to deal with but it is so worth it. Talk about a sweet tooth, it has big molasses flavors and is a dream to smoke.

I hope you can find some blends we can't get in the states and you can trade them to guys here. I would research if your country allows urine samples to be sent over seas and to also be able to receive them. Think outside the box. Chlamydial samples would keep most nosy customs guys from opening your package. lol
@cigrmaster Please stop mentioning Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake., seriously starting to dislike you ??????

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I don't know about sweetest but Marlin Flake and Hamborger Veermasterare my favourites. I also live in Sweden and to me the best bet I feel is to take a road trip to Germany, but then again I'm in southern Sweden so that is easier for me than most. I used to buy online from Germany but that isn't possible anymore and buying from smokingpipes.com you will still end up paying the same absurd prices. Luckily I have enough cellared to last for a little while.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
@cigrmaster Please stop mentioning Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake., seriously starting to dislike you ??????
I am mentioning it because it is not the same as mine. The flakes look like the new Astleys 44 and I believe the flavors are not like the old wrap around and are more in line with the new Astleys. You are not the first person to tell me to shut my fucking pipe hole about certain blends. lol I did not post my list of flakes for a while as guys politely asked me to stop as it was making things tough for them.

I will honor your suggestion and shut my pie hole again. It is hard for me to not tell people what my favorite blends are. It people PM me I will tell them what I think but will stop on the open forum. Are you happy now? lol

Reactions: TheWhale13

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am mentioning it because it is not the same as mine. The flakes look like the new Astleys 44 and I believe the flavors are not like the old wrap around and are more in line with the new Astleys. You are not the first person to tell me to shut my fucking pipe hole about certain blends. lol I did not post my list of flakes for a while as guys politely asked me to stop as it was making things tough for them.

I will honor your suggestion and shut my pie hole again. It is hard for me to not tell people what my favorite blends are. It people PM me I will tell them what I think but will stop on the open forum. Are you happy now? lol
LOL yes I’m sure your tins are different, i would assume better, but the little bit i was able to try was amazballs to me, this is not a hobby to be late to the party ?. That being said when you’re ready to trade some tins away for some tasty tasty CCs keep me in your thoughts ???

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm interested in getting some suggestions for pure virginia tobacco that is very sweet in taste. I am thinking first and foremost of pure virginia flake, but other suggestions are also welcome (but virginia based tobacco only, and not heavily cased or aromatics). So, please let me know your own experience of (pure) virginia flakes that you think are the most sweet in flavour profile.

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - it's like smoking a sugar cube, so you get the sugarcane flavor along with appreciable sweetness.

Orlik Golden Sliced is another sweet favorite of mine.

Since you're in Europe, I'm going to recommend Meistermischung no 88. It is lightly topped, but I don't typically care for aromatics and I love this one, so don't be scared away by the light floral and tonquin toppings. Worth a shot, for sure.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
luxury twist and Newminster 400 are both cased/topped, are they not? I'd be real surprised if someone told me 400 was all natural.....not with that graham cracker taste!

HH Pure Virginia is a favorite of mine for a clean, medium virginia.

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden

Thanks for this input! Seems like you have built up a bunker of tobaccos for several life-times, lol. I will consider you recommendations, even if some of them are probably hard to come by in Europe.

Peterson flake is one of my favorites. I never really thought of Captain blue as particurlarly sweet. But I might have to return to it. I recently got a pipe that is just perfect for sipping flake, and that can always present a tobacco in a new light. I will probably give Captain blue (and also Best Brown Flake) a new go.

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
I don't know about sweetest but Marlin Flake and Hamborger Veermasterare my favourites. I also live in Sweden and to me the best bet I feel is to take a road trip to Germany, but then again I'm in southern Sweden so that is easier for me than most. I used to buy online from Germany but that isn't possible anymore and buying from smokingpipes.com you will still end up paying the same absurd prices. Luckily I have enough cellared to last for a little while.
Hello, fellow Swede. I live in the middle-part, so Germany, or Copenhagen for that matter, is a bit far. I also used to by online, from Germany, Switzerland or London (before brexit). By the way, do you by any chance know why European tobacco shops has stopped shipping to Sweden of recent years?

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - it's like smoking a sugar cube, so you get the sugarcane flavor along with appreciable sweetness.

Orlik Golden Sliced is another sweet favorite of mine.

Since you're in Europe, I'm going to recommend Meistermischung no 88. It is lightly topped, but I don't typically care for aromatics and I love this one, so don't be scared away by the light floral and tonquin toppings. Worth a shot, for sure.
I was just about to return to by Best Brown Flake only to discover that the darn jar was a "måndagsexemplar" as we say in Sweden, lol. It was a flawed jar that did not seal properly, so the flake had turned bone dry. Well, I tried to re-moist them, but I might get a new tin. Anyway... Meistermischung no 88... the mere thought of tonquin makes me very scared, lol, it's the strangest kind of taste in tobacco I think.

Reactions: pantsBoots