PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Fair call bro. Totally respect the talent and knowledge of blenders. However, hailing from the post-tobacapocalypse waste land of Aotearoa, if I want to smoke, I gotta learn how to blend. Like cosmic, I don’t bother with aromatic flavouring, just leaf nuances - the exception being if I am adding these during the fermentation or stoving stage to infuse the leaf with an essence, or adding a different component like deer tongue or lemon grass to a blend.

if you can get quality leaf to work with, there’s nothing too hard about whipping out some tasty and simple tobacco forward blends. Check this monster of a thread out for inspiration and discussion around ratios and pH balance.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Fair call bro. Totally respect the talent and knowledge of blenders. However, hailing from the post-tobacapocalypse waste land of Aotearoa, if I want to smoke, I gotta learn how to blend. Like cosmic, I don’t bother with aromatic flavouring, just leaf nuances - the exception being if I am adding these during the fermentation or stoving stage to infuse the leaf with an essence, or adding a different component like deer tongue or lemon grass to a blend.

if you can get quality leaf to work with, there’s nothing too hard about whipping out some tasty and simple tobacco forward blends. Check this monster of a thread out for inspiration and discussion around ratios and pH balance.

If I didn't have a tobacconist 5 mintues away, I would do the same, maybe.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I am most perplexed by guys who want to blend, and then they end up making aromatics. But... I also see folks on wine making forums asking about adding artificial flavors, or making wines from Jolly Ranchers, so... what the hell do I know?

I can just say that having NOT attempted to make an aromatic, that I have never made a blend that I thought sucked. Although, I am still working out my rustica, perique, cigar blend. I think it could use a dash of diesel fuel, ha ha. puffy

At least you tried. I can tolerate incense smells to a small degree, but they wreak havoc on my sinuses. I don't even allow scented candles in my house.

Keep on trying. I love reading about stuff like this. If you are trying, you are at least doing way better than someone who doesn't even try, or makes stupid excuses. I have way more respect for you for trying.
Jolly Rancher wine? Seriously?

I used to infuse my own alcohol and make liqueurs. The candy stuff was child's play for undergraduates and amateurs (but delicious if done right ... and sickly sweet I might add).

Give me some apricot brandy or blackberry bourbon. Maybe some cherry bounce or butterscotch whiskey.

Homemade fireball whiskey was better than store bought but still not to my liking.

But with wine? My brain and tastebuds don't comprehend.

I digress. Carry on.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I think the biggest blend fail I ever had the displeasure of smoking was a friends attempt at making a kretek blend using straight up ground clove and Prince Albert. No tongue bite becouse your tongue was to numb from the clove. It was bad really bad but I gave him props for trying.

• Haha
Reactions: ScienceSmoker
S

ScienceSmoker

"Aromatic" is a vague term. There are the goopy, greasy heavy US aromatics, or the subtle European ones, or even just the mildly flavored blends. Solani 633 is one of the best va/pers I've ever had, and it's flavored. All of the "flavored" blends I've made fall into the last category. And it's good to experiment, IMO... because like I've said, latakia and dark fired Kentucky are both flavored tobaccos. They're flavored with hardwood smoke, which is mainly the sap doing the flavoring. Both myrrh and frankincense are just wood sap. So... "aromatic" is sometimes a negative term among pipe smokers... but I think experimenting with flavors is how you find some of the best blends.