PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You mean that yellow pipe with all kinds of weird gears and doodads all over it? Never saw it.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Awesome! Unique pipe and amazing grain. Talented pipemaker indeed!

Jan 8, 2013
Which reminds me of this! :mrgreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA
Edit to add: I like steampunk. I find a lot of it interesting and fun. However, I found the attempt with this pipe lacking. In my honest opinion I feel like the attempt marred what could have been a fabulous pipe.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That video with that song seems to imply I just took an already made piece of crap and taped some gears to it.

This was a themed pipe from the start, handmade with 20+ hours of work. A true labor of love. The intrinsic value of this pipe did not go up because of the gears, instead it placed it very much further into a niche market of an already niche hobby. And that would only count if it were for sale to begin with.
Mocking my work with a 3 minute video is the last thing I would have expected from this group. I think I will be reserved in my sharing of my future pipes. I'm always up for constructive critiques and criticism, but they should be given with some class and respect, as well as some clear points.
I also realize that adding a working steam engine into a pipe isn't feasible and that the whole idea of a Victorian-esque steam machine world is already a pretty big cliche. So it's a bit like saying, "Hey, let's all make up this fantasy world and pretend we're all black frigate pirates! But ... no, you're not pretending correctly so you can't join."

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Click, I don't think anyone was mocking your pipe. It is a gorgeous design with a beautiful grain a mile deep! It might be one of if not the nicest pipes I've seen you make. Fantastic grain. But I don't know if the other stuff is for me. I'd like to see it held in hand from other angles as normally smoked. But I can certainly appreciate the hard work that went into doing all of that work! Sorry you feel slighted.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think I will be reserved in my sharing of my future pipes.
May I suggest doing the opposite? I will explain.
Most people, on the internet or not, do little more than bitch and moan. This does not mean they are bad or ungrateful, just that this is how they approach most things. It is a way of signaling "it's not my fault" plus "I have strong opinions, therefore am worthy." Some suggest this comes from an alienating society where most people are uncertain that they have value and are loved. It may also be our glorious Simian heritage, where ten thousand monkeys screech in the trees and fling poo while one lone monkey figures out how to wash fruit, and then the rest of them kill him.
Criticism, however, even flippant criticism which can be unwise because it will seem cruel, helps you by creating controversy that gets your work out there further.
When they really hate you and fear you, they ignore you.
Sounds like a great pipe. I was always skeptical of steampunk, but I liked the Sterling/Gibson book, and Sterling is a nice guy. We heckled him relentlessly at a hacker con in the early 90s and ended up having beers with him. Not a bad guy at all.

K

klause

That pipe is the absolute Dogs-Bollox!!!!
A beautiful piece of work, Adam - your finest piece yet. EVERYTHING about it works for me.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Keep it up, and, please, keep showing your work - it's far to good to hide away.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The shape, grain alignment, stain choice, and exposed plateaux are all great! Don't stop being creative. :puffy:

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
It take a lot of hard work to do something this beautiful, different is beautiful also. Would I smoke this? Oh yea! I would smoke that piece where it would get noticed.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Let me be brutally honest in full disclosure, Click: first of all, I'm an idiot. So take this opinion FWIW. When I originally glanced at this thread, I thought you were just pointing out an odd pipe that you had found on the web somewhere. Hey! Look at this interesting find!
Yep! Never saw a pipe like this before and did not associate the term "steampunk" with this. It wasn't until your third post that I remembered that you also make pipes and were showing a new creation of your own.
THAT SAID and FWIW, I am liking the pipe even more with these new views! I am not into light yellow finishes as a rule but that is one damn gorgeous pipe. This might be the nicest pipe I have ever seen you make, both grain-wise and artistically. I THINK YOU NEED TO SEE AND HOLD THIS PIPE IN PERSON TO REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Now the stupid part--- and this is really stupid, but the mechanical engineer part of me gets confused by all the little gears! I'm intrigued by them, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that they wouldn't actually work together as a machine. You cannot turn them and make them work. Does that make sense? I am very intrigued by the idea, but my brain has a problem with that. If left up to me, I say, on your next steampunk pipe project, I would use fewer, larger gears /that actually MOVE, TURN.
Some sort of lever, machine, mechanism, maybe a faux steam motif, maybe something that you turn and the pipe lights itself. Maybe you just turn it to fiddle with. A gear on each side connected through the bowl or maybe across the back. I'm just throwing out ideas.
If you can incorporate some sort of actually working vintage parts and make them part of the pipe, I think you might be on to something HUGE, guy! :mrgreen:

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Love the pipe, shape, colour and grain.

It's too big for my taste and not keen on the cogs, but as always interesting.

Thanks Click, keep sharing.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
The pipe is not for me. Without the gears you have an amazing pipe with stunning grain and a great Cumberland stem. Hopefully whoever it is for will love it.

Jan 8, 2013
Click, I would never mock you. The video was in good fun. Since you've started carving pipes, I've watched you grow into a fantastic carver. A lot of your pipes, I absolutely have loved. Some not so much. This pipe(and I'll stick to my opinion) is beautifully shaped, with wonderful grain, the shape and color of the stem are fantastic and adds some interesting flair, and I love the forward raised ridge with the plateau. The tube from shank to bowl appears necessary and doesn't hurt the look of the pipe, although normally when I've seen this kind of thing I haven't liked it. It's the gears that throw me. That being said, I can see and understand that the way I worded my post was offensive and I humbly apologize for that, as it does indeed sound like I was being an ass.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
IMO you really got a the perfect orientation from the block and the grain and natural ridge looks great. I like the shape, stem work and the stain is your best to date and will color really nice. The "gear" really works well with the theme of this piece! Congratulations! 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.