PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Over the past few hundred years the peferred tobacco use and method of consumption has changed many times. Pipe smoking, cigar smoking, cigarettes, vaping, even snuff taking have all been the standard for society. One or more times throughout history they've all had their hayday. These trends happen globally or just regionally. In your opinion, what are the mechanisms that cause these changes?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There is no doubt that factory made cigarettes became popular because they are so easy. They are the fast food of tobaccos.
After WW2 they gained even more on pipes and cigars, because they became fashionable with the postwar generations.
Young and cool= cigarettes
Old geezer conformist = pipe

Something else is going on now, but what it is, I don't know.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't know why but humans are drawn to tobacco and the many forms it can be smoked. This has been going on hundreds of years and I can only surmise that humans crave nicotine.
Speaking for myself I just love to smoke. I had my cigar stage, cigarettes, pipes and at present my pipes are my true love at this time.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is no doubt that factory made cigarettes became popular because they are so easy. They are the fast food of tobaccos.

Exactly. Mass production...convenience.

Everything tends to fall to the lowest common denominator with Earthlings.

Cigars also offer convenience compared to pipes...for those with more discernment and taste than strictly cigarette smokers, but more expensive and time consuming.

Pipe smoking is for the real oddballs.

Something else is going on now, but what it is, I don't know.

Now the convenience factor is greatly reduced due to all the no smoking restrictions. Also everyone has a much stronger dopamine addiction now with their cell phones.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Now the convenience factor is greatly reduced due to all the no smoking restrictions. Also everyone has a much stronger dopamine addiction now with their cell phones.
This is certainly more deadly than tobacco:

SmartCross3.jpg

But you go and make your 'representative' accept that. :rolleyes:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mechanisms that cause changes in the habits of tobacco use seem propelled by promotion and marketing, taken up as fads, trends, fashion, and self-image building. Some take the world by storm, like cigarettes. Some fold into niche markets like cigars and pipes. Chew (or chaw) is sacred in some demographics and repulsive in others. Snuff is specialized, appealing to self-selected groups; it used to be decidedly upper class, and now it is more non-conformist. Nicotine is the fuel for wide acceptance in the many different forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.