PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see from a recent paper pipe and tobacco catalog that the 7 ounce tin seems to have supplanted the 12, 14, and 16 ounce tubs so prevalent in the past. I don't know if this means that the larger tubs are on their way out, but it certainly suggests that the tobacco companies have decided that the 7 ounce format, where the tobacco actually costs more per ounce, are a better deal for the sellers of tobacco. I happen to have seven ounce tins of Potlatch and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue on hand, but I don't think either blend was ever sold in larger tubs. Would you find the 7 ounce format more appealing? What do you make of this shift?

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’m never a proponent of packaging that makes one of my favorite tobaccos more expensive. I stocked up on a few extra 12oz tubs of SWA just in case they are discontinued. I have not had good luck with the 7oz tins of SWA so far. Two out of three were either popped open in the shipping container or the tin seal promptly popped with minimal handling. Not a huge fan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now being offered in 7 oz. tins are Lane's Velvet, Half and Half, Paladin, Granger, Captain Black (Original, Gold, Cherry, and Royal), Borkum Riff with Bourbon Whiskey, and others.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
First and foremost, everything seems to be trending toward more $$$ for less product. Nonetheless. 7 ounces equals 200g, which is good for sale in most of the world where the metric system.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I too noticed the trend and I'm willing to bet a tin of Frog Morton Cellar that this is in anticipation of the pipe tobacco tax being jacked way, way up. By my calculations, a 14 oz. tin stands to jump as much as $40, making a tub of Heine's (an underrated blend) go for about $84 on SP.com. That's probably a bit too rich for many ole codger's blood, or sticker shock, in any case.

Now consider Granger's, going for $18.75 a 7 oz. on SP.com: that will jump to nearly $40, making it nearly comparable to what a 14 oz. costs (for the time being). Of course, prices are going up with inflation anyway: just a couple weeks ago, Amphora pouches were going for 70 cents less: now they are over $8 (soon to be $12 if/when the tobacco bill passes).

Will this mean people will have to smoke half as much, on the same tobacco budget? (Obviously, the answer is NO for any that have cellars that will outlive them ?.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew there was some reason I jumped on the PC sale of 14 oz tubs of SWR original, though I hadn't seen the emergence of the 7 oz tins. PC got it to me in a few days. I just bought the 14 oz. for $28 and change,, and now the 7 oz. tin costs ... $28 and change. As Robert Frost said in a poem, "provide, provide," or translated into pipe talk, stock your cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I have always bought more tobacco than I smoke, at about a bowl a day, I have accumulated enough to coast for some years. If prices really soar, I guess I could limit it to a few bowls a week. But if I really ran low, I'd rein in my use and buy blends once a year within my budget. I think mixing for variety is another useful strategy.

Reactions: Grangerous

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
All sorts of companies are doing this with all sorts of products. Its mainly due to inflation and supply shortages, but instead of raising the prices they're just giving you less product. You can thank the govt. for that. Who would've thought endless money printing would lead to higher prices?

Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Bulk is already close to $50 USC with tax and shipping. —If you’re lucky enough to enjoy blends offered in bulk.

I have enough Granger cellared. I can’t believe I just said that.

I ordered another 3 lbs of Pegasus today, bringing my total to 6 lbs plus 16 ounces I have open to enjoy now.— I also tossed in a few tins of Peterson University Flake with this order.

Oh and due to @mso489’s praise of SWRA, I tossed in a small pouch.— I haven’t had that in over 20 years. I was on the Outer Banks, NC in 1995 when I’d last smoked SWRA.

Back on topic. I can’t see this ending well. I’m lucky that when I like something, I stay with it. My cellar is deep with Granger and now Pegasus. I can enjoy one bowl per day, by my calculation, for the next 15 years. That’s not counting the miscellaneous tins and tubs collected over the years. I can sleep better tonight.

Reactions: Jacob74

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
7 ounces does seem a bit arbitrary until you realize that there are 28 grams in an ounce. —200 grams for international commerce.

As Anotherbob says, it is also less of a commitment for those trying a new blend.

But the real reason is always, money. Less product. More profit.