Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I didn't even realize there was a debate... I thought it was just a bunch of blustering and one-upsmanship nonsense.

"I only had to relight twice!"
"Oh yeah? I only had to relight once!"
"You are all like babies, I don't have to relight at all, I have more skill than you."
"I don't even need to light, it just spontaneously combusts through sheer force of will."

Honestly, I don't get the obsession. Relight if you need to, it's not just not a big deal, it's not a deal at all unless you're having to relight after every other puff, in which case you're doing something wrong, but there's otherwise no right way.

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
When I was 17 I bought a Kaywoodie and some Cherry Blend . . . lit up in my room. My Mom walked by, saw me, and said nothing. That evening she told me that she and my father had discussed it and decided that, if it would keep me from smoking cigarettes, they would not object to my pipe smoking. Been doing it ever since. That was in 1962.

Jan 29, 2024
Boston Ma
cmonman.com
On the other side of the point, packing lighter and frequent tamping can significantly reduce the need to relight.
I have been working on my tamping technique since reading your post .
a lighter pack ( I’m only using the weight of my tamper ) to good result. Although , when walking my dog I press a bit harder to get a longer smoke . I learn a lot in these forums

Attachments

• 72884857888__D03D0147-D451-4F99-9692-7E66A19FD129.jpeg
    72884857888__D03D0147-D451-4F99-9692-7E66A19FD129.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
a lighter pack ( I’m only using the weight of my tamper ) to good result. Although , when walking my dog I press a bit harder to get a longer smoke . I learn a lot in these forums
I try to limit relighting as much as I can. Lighting consumes more tobacco than just smoking it.

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
I find the tighter the pack, the less flavor I get. Same goes for tamping. A heavy tamp leads to a harder pack and again, less flavor.

I find relights enjoyable. The Kiribi lighter I purchased feels great in the hand and sound fantastic. I also get a burst of flavor with each relight.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Relight as needed. A lot of people place all the emphasis on tamping and packing, stating proper technique for both will reduce the need to relight. That's true, but it ignores what I believe to be the most important factor that is within one's control (as opposed to those things that are not within one's control, such as the climate or the tobacco itself): the false/charring light.

Provided I am able, I always use a sulphur-free match to do a thorough false light, making sure the tobacco is being burned evenly as possible. I let my pipe stand for about a minute, then proceed to do the same again. After that, relights can be done with anything (I prefer my Zippo), since I very rarely need the flame to actually touch the tobacco from that point. And, if I did things right with the false light and things are tamped and packed just right, the relights are then fewer in number and easier to achieve when necessary.

But if you start off with a crappy false light, then it impacts the entire smoke. The same can be said of packing. Tamping is important, but not hard; just occasionally use the weight of the tamper to lightly press down on the ashes. That's it. Kinda hard to mess that one up. But the false light and packing take practice.

Of course, like Cosmic said, if you keep a constant clench, then relights should be few and far between. I'm a wet smoker, so I'm a loser :LOL: But we all do what we can to get by.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't have false lights- at least not on purpose! A good first light does the trick for me almost always.

To me, it's a preference. A fine preference- just one I don't adhere to.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Donn- Good questions, but why not start a post in "Introductions" and tell us what you like to smoke and in what.

Status
Not open for further replies.