PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
thought it was canadian thing too. Living in buffalo, we got CBC over the air. then in college, CBC was on cable! hockey night in canada was the only reason to stay in on saturdays!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Never saw Corner Gas, but I desperately miss "History Bites" (produced by and starring one of the Red Green alumni).

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I grew up in Washington State across from Vancouver Island. Up until I was about fifteen years old, and they put in repeaters for the three Seattle network stations, we really only got one American station, out of Bellingham. Our other four were out of Canada, CBC, two local island/Victoria stations and one kind of fuzzy one out of Vancouver.
I like the Red Green episode where he changes the oil in his car and, to make access easier, he pulls out the whole engine with the transmission attached. After draining everything out, he says he's going to put in the new oil, but explains he's really just going to replace it with the oil he took out at the last oil change. Hillarious!!!

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I have all 6 seasons of Corner Gas on DVD by far the best comedy just short of Seinfield in the last 25yrs

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Oh My Gosh! My dad and I used to watch this show religiously!

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
PBS and public access could be the same or different types of programming depending on the area of the States you live in. Every PBS coverage range has its own local programming and bank of bigger time shows to take from(e.g. NOVA). They plug and chug to get the biggest audience watching to try and get the biggest amount of donations.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My mind is blown, I had no idea our crap played down there so much.
I'm crushing your heads right now.

Dec 24, 2012
I have seen Corner Gas. Didn't find it appealing.
I have only watched a couple of episodes and couldn't get into it, though it was modestly amusing. I have some relatives in the US who think it is the funniest show they have ever seen. Didn't really get that.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Oh sure, The Kids of Degrassi Street, Degrassi Jr. High, The King of Kensington, The Beachcombers...Hockey Night in Canada, pretty much watched them all to one degree or another.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Back to RedGreen... I particularly like the Adventures with Bill segments on that show. I have never laughed so hard at a TV set before!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
But the very best was the Rick Mercer episode of "Talking to Americans" when he cornered George W. Bush during his first presidential campaign, and said,"I'm from Canada, and I bring you greetings from our Prime Minister, Jean Poutine" (Chretien was PM then). To which Bush replied, "Oh, I am a great admirer of Mr. Poutine. Please tell him I appreciate his saying hello."
That's when we first knew we were in for BIG trouble.
(For those not familiar with it, poutine is a high-calorie, high-cholesterol dish from Quebec made with french fries, topped with brown gravy and cheese curds. Great for cold weather, not so good for the heart.)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Great stuff, I saw this episode as a child, but have completely forgotten about the show, it used to be one that I liked. I was born in the mid 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.