PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalling

Lurker
Jan 2, 2019
From my understanding of Tolkien’s work, a lot of the place names he used were extrapolated from areas of merry old England such as the Shire being a reference to Devon (Devonshire and as a matter of fact many older folk in Devon actually refer to it as being the “shire”) which anyone who has been there can attest would be the inspiration for the Hobbit homeland. I would guess Frog Morton would be an iteration of Frogmore House. I have no proof, but read enough of his work and about his life it seems more reasonable than not.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I'm not saying that the theory about Devon is wrong but shire is basically an old English word for a land division. In England it is almost synonymous with county but not quite. Whilst Devon is a contracted form of Devonshire there are plenty of other counties with shire in the name (Gloucestershire, Derbyshire, etc.) in England (and Scotland and Wales too) . Shire is also used in some parts of Australia for local government areas.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Sidenote: Here in Vermont, 'Shire town' refers to the county seat.

https://www.vtliving.com/vermontshires/

It pleases me to see the signs.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The art on the Frog Morton tins reminds me a lot of one of my favorite books when I was a very little child called "Frog and Toad are friends." It was a hand me down from my brother (who is 14 years my senior).
https://www.amazon.com/Frog-Toad-Friends-Arnold-Lobel/dp/0064440206/ref=asc_df_0064440206/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312089887152&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1655894661746614882&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033928&hvtargid=pla-405792604005&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.