PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wanted to see if others found that they preferred something without there being a logic behind it.
Like I said, my purchases in tobaccos are component specific. Anything in the Virginia families are welcome and as most of my cellar is bulk, flashy tin art didn't sell it. Price is another motivation. If over $5/ounce, I pass it by.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
love peterson pipes. i have yet to smoke any of peterson blends. there are things i want to smoke, and none are from peterson.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So how does symbolism relate to pipe smoking?
I "feel" that tobacco branded blends invariably smoke "best" in the same branded pipe. To me, Dunhill tobaccos (and their Matches) are better in my Dunhill pipes. I would state the same about Castello tobacco and Peterson tobacco and their corresponding pipes.
I fully realize that there is no 'science" behind this, just as there is no solid reason why a flag evokes certain feelings. However, that does not negate the experience that one undergoes.
Your feelings are just fine. (Wondering why the word is in quotes.) Though those feelings seem extraordinarily subjective, if not irrational, to most of the rest of us.
I wanted to see if others found that they preferred something without there being a logic behind it. I am actually convinced that many do but, pride negates the admission. This, I believe, has a large part to do with symbolism (actually more than just brand identification).
Sure, that happens in all areas—products— where marketing or peer reviews occur. I, of course, am immune, as all my purchases are rational and superbly thought out. And the second quote is a far cry from the first foray.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
This one time, I smoked Peterson Saint Patrick's Day tobacco in a Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe. Surprisingly good....

Jan 8, 2013
This one time, I smoked Peterson Saint Patrick's Day tobacco in a Peterson St. Patrick's Day pipe. Surprisingly good....
Best first post by a new member ever! :rofl: :clap:
Welcome, Elasmo! :clap:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Quotable quote. Book worthy!
Thanks Olkofri, but I don't think I can claim it's an original thought...I'm pretty sure I read that line somewhere a long time ago...but I couldn't tell you who said it. It's very Jungian, but I don't think it's a Jung quote.
Now you're going to have to try Cult Blood Red Moon in a Peterson Dracula...but wait for Halloween of course.
Then you can exorcise yourself with Presbyterian in a Churchwarden.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Being influenced in our pipe and tobacco purchases by other members on a forum like this is, IMO, something very different than a Pavlovian reaction to advertising, simply because we're interacting with other people who share our particular interest and tastes.
On the other hand, mass marketing by the mass corporate media (what is called "news" these days) is behind much of what the general public believes is true regarding many things.
This is hilariously illustrated by these short videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGSv32WF1n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStpvviPgxk

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't own a television or computer, so I guess I've been unintentionally avoiding it.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Jpmcwjr, no need to get your panties in a bunch. My post’s intent was to see if others would admit, as I did, to having a totally unjustified feeling about matching a pipe to a tobacco. In this instance based upon brand. Some have taken this post WAY too serious. The lol is the humor that I find in how a clearly stated subjective post (ie “feeling”) is ridiculed as I had made a scientific proclamation.
I am intrigued by why we smoke what we do and in the ways we do it. I suspect my motivations for irrational acts of smoking. Causation should interest the rational minded.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Afraid not...that's just really how scripted it all is.
But yes, the corporate mass media cartel is certainly a joke.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
"Thank's for buying our printer! We took the liberty of chipping it so that only our incredibly expensive ink will work. (*That's not a guarantee that the printer will work WELL in any case...)"
-The Ink Cartel

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
dcon - if you wanted anecdotal feedback on the idea of smoking brand x tobacco in a brand x pipe. You got it. Nobody likes the connection. Your learned theory is kaput.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I was a kid, D-Con was a rat poison available at the hardware store.
You don't need to resort to insults about panties, etc, pal.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some seem to enjoy over thinking what they enjoy. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's how many are wired. But, for me to do so would undermine the simply pleasure I take from the pipe. I don't have to dissect it, I simply enjoy it.
A point of personal pride is that I always lie to political phone solicitors as I detest their intrusiveness. Then, after having my fun, I block their number. I gather from the uselessness of polls that I am hardly the only person who toys with the data.
But, the financial clout and successes of some ad agencies indicates that many are susceptible to their clients wares. Poor, misinformed suckers! And, I must admit that I still stick to the peanut butter and candies TV steered me to as a child. So, it does work on the young, mush filled brains. I'm well into my dotage and still crave a Snickers bar now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.