PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I guess I just like to feel the resistance along the side walls as I clean them. I'm sure that my ex-wife's new husband thinks the same thing
:rofl: turned down that road pretty quick :rofl: :rofl:

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I use them all, but the regulars are the only ones I use mid smoke if it goes sour, they still soak up the moisture/turn brown and they can be persuaded to take a 3/4 bend tunnel without getting claustrophobic and screaming at me about union rights etc etc
Isaac

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Anyone use the Brigham pipe cleaners? If you have do you know if they shed less than the BJ Long's?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I also dislike Long's because they shed too damn much. I use Dill's regular and BrynMawr bristlies; they are both thin, but can easily be doubled over if the application requires.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I prefer pipes with very open draws but most of my mass produced pipes have a tight enough draw to run a regular filter through. I.E. Savinelli, Rattrays, etc.
I usually run them through my fingers but it never seems to end. Even when I think I've got no fuzz left I'll clean my pipe and blow through the stem sure enough here comes a puff of fuzz.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No, in fact, most of the pipes I own have had too tight of a draw, so I open them up to 5/32". Nothing I like more than an MM cob with no filter for that wide-open, runnin' straight pipes draw. Why do you ask?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think this may be a case of technique vs. sheer girth. If I am just swabbing out a bit of mid-smoke moisture, running a regular Dill's down to the bowl certainly does the trick. For actual cleaning, which I always do with the cleaner moistened with a bit of vodka, I either double over the last quarter of the cleaner, or put a little serpentine bend in the cleaner. Either one assures a good scrub on the walls of the mortise or stem. To me, it beats all the fuzz left behind by the BJ's Shed Monsters. But either way, congratulations on your massive, fuzzy yardarm!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I grab whatever pipe cleaners are at the Smokeshop and B&M. I have no idea what brand they are. I've got bristle and fluffy for stems and yes some have a VERY tight airway. I use Q-tips for shank stuff and shop towels for the bowl.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I like BJLongs because they aren't too hairy like many other makers', so less likely to clog up the stem with loose hair; they are very bendy and hence easier to pass through a full-bent pipe. Since the majority of my pipe have narrow air way, their thinness doesn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.