PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Here's a tip! If you keep a thin layer of obsidian oil on your stems, you can keep them out in the open and protect them. Just don't keep them in direct sunlight, or you'll risk bleaching them.
I do use Obsidian oil and Paragon wax after all smokes, but after 20 years of trying all sorts of things, I now keep it simple by storing them out of the light. ?

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Like many pipers, I kept most of my pipes in a drawer. I could never find a pipe rack with the right amount of spaces, or find multiple pipe racks that matched. I'll admit I'm a little OCD and most people probably don't have this problem.

One of the things I love most about pipes is how they're functional pieces of art. I wanted to find a way to honor them, keep the focus on the pipe, be flexible/expandable and not be clunky/overbearing. Something where I could display the whole arsenal, like a finished work that looks complete but still has plenty of room to grow -- and when I felt like a pipe, walk up to it and pluck one off the vine.

My girlfriend and I recently moved into a home that had a triangular sliver of wall just below the stairs. It was a neat canvas calling out for something that could run parallel to the steps and the railing.

I used curtain rods and fishing pole clips to make a flexible installation, and am happy with the way it turned out! One friend described it as "birds on a wire."

One day, I may build one using acrylic rods and mount an LED at one end, so the pipes look like they're suspended on a beam of light, and call it a "Pipesaber!"

Note: There are no cats or small children running around the house. Something tells me The Pipe Pipe wouldn't last very long if there were!

Pipes displayed include Iwan Ries, Barclay Rex, Barling, Charatan, Comoy's, Digby, Dr. Grabow, Dunhill, Ehrlich, Kaywoodie, L.J. Peretti, Nording, Parker, Peterson, Stanwell, Wally Frank, The Tinder Box and a few unknowns. Most were given to me by my father, and I've been restoring them over the last several years. This Comoy's Sunrise was my restoration project for International Pipe Smoking Day, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

If you'd like to build your own, below is a listing of the parts I used. I spent some time experimenting with different curtain rod diameters for these particular clips. 3/4" is the sweet spot. The style of rod I chose has a roughened matte finish, which helps the clips stay in place and not slide off or around. Of course I chose rods that looked like pipe fixtures, and called it my "Pipe Pipe."

(Originally posted as a reply on a thread about pipe racks, but wanted to make a full post under the proper header!)

"The Pipe Pipe" Components:

3/4" pipe fixture style curtain rods:
"Sun Zero SN Bronn Wrap Around Room Darkening Curtain Rod, 36-66", Matte Black"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3KcCTxB

Fishing pole clips:
"60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw"
60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw | eBay - https://ebay.to/3trPg2V

Beefier screws to bite into rubber clips and adjust for shank size:
"Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973291457 Phillips Flat TwinFast Wood Screws, 6 x 1-Inch, 100-Piece"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3ntKle5

Dremel for trimming screws:
"3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case"
Dremel 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case 3000-1/25H - The Home Depot - http://goo.gl/C25NSs

Hot glue gun to dab on screw heads and avoid scratching the briar:
"H-195F Specialty Series 20 Watt Mini Size High Temperature Detail Hot Glue Gun"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3qtuEW3

View attachment 131043View attachment 131044View attachment 131045View attachment 131046
Very nice ?

Reactions: fontbandit

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Like many pipers, I kept most of my pipes in a drawer. I could never find a pipe rack with the right amount of spaces, or find multiple pipe racks that matched. I'll admit I'm a little OCD and most people probably don't have this problem.

One of the things I love most about pipes is how they're functional pieces of art. I wanted to find a way to honor them, keep the focus on the pipe, be flexible/expandable and not be clunky/overbearing. Something where I could display the whole arsenal, like a finished work that looks complete but still has plenty of room to grow -- and when I felt like a pipe, walk up to it and pluck one off the vine.

My girlfriend and I recently moved into a home that had a triangular sliver of wall just below the stairs. It was a neat canvas calling out for something that could run parallel to the steps and the railing.

I used curtain rods and fishing pole clips to make a flexible installation, and am happy with the way it turned out! One friend described it as "birds on a wire."

One day, I may build one using acrylic rods and mount an LED at one end, so the pipes look like they're suspended on a beam of light, and call it a "Pipesaber!"

Note: There are no cats or small children running around the house. Something tells me The Pipe Pipe wouldn't last very long if there were!

Pipes displayed include Iwan Ries, Barclay Rex, Barling, Charatan, Comoy's, Digby, Dr. Grabow, Dunhill, Ehrlich, Kaywoodie, L.J. Peretti, Nording, Parker, Peterson, Stanwell, Wally Frank, The Tinder Box and a few unknowns. Most were given to me by my father, and I've been restoring them over the last several years. This Comoy's Sunrise was my restoration project for International Pipe Smoking Day, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

If you'd like to build your own, below is a listing of the parts I used. I spent some time experimenting with different curtain rod diameters for these particular clips. 3/4" is the sweet spot. The style of rod I chose has a roughened matte finish, which helps the clips stay in place and not slide off or around. Of course I chose rods that looked like pipe fixtures, and called it my "Pipe Pipe."

(Originally posted as a reply on a thread about pipe racks, but wanted to make a full post under the proper header!)

"The Pipe Pipe" Components:

3/4" pipe fixture style curtain rods:
"Sun Zero SN Bronn Wrap Around Room Darkening Curtain Rod, 36-66", Matte Black"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3KcCTxB

Fishing pole clips:
"60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw"
60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw | eBay - https://ebay.to/3trPg2V

Beefier screws to bite into rubber clips and adjust for shank size:
"Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973291457 Phillips Flat TwinFast Wood Screws, 6 x 1-Inch, 100-Piece"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3ntKle5

Dremel for trimming screws:
"3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case"
Dremel 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case 3000-1/25H - The Home Depot - http://goo.gl/C25NSs

Hot glue gun to dab on screw heads and avoid scratching the briar:
"H-195F Specialty Series 20 Watt Mini Size High Temperature Detail Hot Glue Gun"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3qtuEW3

View attachment 131043View attachment 131044View attachment 131045View attachment 131046
Very innovative work. Nice looking way to present the collection. Great job!!!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you can call yourself piper, you should have few nice sets of bagpipes. I suggest hardcase. Left one on top of my car and drove off. All the pipes are in perfect condition. Came out better than going through a pub full of drunks on St. Paddy's Day.

As to smoking pipes, I'm both piper and pipe smoker, I just leave them on my desk. I usually polish them before and after a smoke. All of them have metal bands, mostly sterling, good polish helps with that brilliant silver shine.

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Update nearly one year later:

Some of the rubber fishing pole clips were starting to fatigue and lose their grip on both the curtain rod and the pipe shanks. The warmer summer weather made the rubber contract, and when the cooler fall weather caused them to expand, they'd lost some of their initial grip.

The solution was to drill two tiny holes into the face of each fishing pole clip using a 3/32" drill bit, and thread in a 4" cable tie -- the smallest, thinnest you can buy in a hardware store -- to keep each clip cinched down and tight around the curtain rod or the shank.

This created a much more secure hold, to where you could swing an entire rod of pipes around and they'd stay put...not that I'd recommend it.

It was soon put to the test when our new kitten jumped down from the middle of the stairs and crashed down into all three rows of pipes -- and the pipes he hit only rotated along the rod without a single one falling loose. (The kitten was also ok!)

At first I was worried that the zip ties might be too much, but they turned out to be subtle. This fix preserves the pipe-first aesthetic we're going for. You'd have to look closely to notice it. $4.99 is a small price to pay to keep the collection secure, so add this item and final step if you'd like to build your own all-season Pipe Pipe!

4" cable ties
"Steel Grip 4 in. L Black Cable Tie 100 pk"

Attachments

• IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5123.jpeg
    IMG_5123.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5124.jpeg
    IMG_5124.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 8

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Might a more elegant solution be to slip some black rubber or silicone sleeves over the ends of the clips? Would rubber pipe bits fit? The zip ties seem like they’d make it difficult to remove the pipes easily.
That's an interesting idea! It might be tricky to get the sleeves to stay on the clip ends with all the sliding around that happens on the stummel side. It's pretty easy to slide them in and out with the zips. You turn the pipe so the bowl faces you and slide it out. And back in the same way, turning it up into position. The nice thing about the zips is these very small ones are so micro-adjustable, it's easy to find the sweet spot of enough tension where nothing accidentally moves, but you can still pull things in and out without a struggle. The fishing pole clips want to relax, especially when they've been expanded for a long period of time, and need a mechanical connection drawing them together.