PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Like many pipers, I kept most of my pipes in a drawer. I could never find a pipe rack with the right amount of spaces, or find multiple pipe racks that matched. I'll admit I'm a little OCD and most people probably don't have this problem.

One of the things I love most about pipes is how they're functional pieces of art. I wanted to find a way to honor them, keep the focus on the pipe, be flexible/expandable and not be clunky/overbearing. Something where I could display the whole arsenal, like a finished work that looks complete but still has plenty of room to grow -- and when I felt like a pipe, walk up to it and pluck one off the vine.

My girlfriend and I recently moved into a home that had a triangular sliver of wall just below the stairs. It was a neat canvas calling out for something that could run parallel to the steps and the railing.

I used curtain rods and fishing pole clips to make a flexible installation, and am happy with the way it turned out! One friend described it as "birds on a wire."

One day, I may build one using acrylic rods and mount an LED at one end, so the pipes look like they're suspended on a beam of light, and call it a "Pipesaber!"

Note: There are no cats or small children running around the house. Something tells me The Pipe Pipe wouldn't last very long if there were!

Pipes displayed include Iwan Ries, Barclay Rex, Barling, Charatan, Comoy's, Digby, Dr. Grabow, Dunhill, Ehrlich, Kaywoodie, L.J. Peretti, Nording, Parker, Peterson, Stanwell, Wally Frank, The Tinder Box and a few unknowns. Most were given to me by my father, and I've been restoring them over the last several years. This Comoy's Sunrise was my restoration project for International Pipe Smoking Day, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

If you'd like to build your own, below is a listing of the parts I used. I spent some time experimenting with different curtain rod diameters for these particular clips. 3/4" is the sweet spot. The style of rod I chose has a roughened matte finish, which helps the clips stay in place and not slide off or around. Of course I chose rods that looked like pipe fixtures, and called it my "Pipe Pipe."

(Originally posted as a reply on a thread about pipe racks, but wanted to make a full post under the proper header!)

"The Pipe Pipe" Components:

3/4" pipe fixture style curtain rods:
"Sun Zero SN Bronn Wrap Around Room Darkening Curtain Rod, 36-66", Matte Black"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3KcCTxB

Fishing pole clips:
"60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw"
60 Original Replacement Fishing pole rack clip organizer storage Holders W/Screw | eBay - https://ebay.to/3trPg2V

Beefier screws to bite into rubber clips and adjust for shank size:
"Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973291457 Phillips Flat TwinFast Wood Screws, 6 x 1-Inch, 100-Piece"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3ntKle5

Dremel for trimming screws:
"3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case"
Dremel 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 25 Accessories and Carrying Case 3000-1/25H - The Home Depot - http://goo.gl/C25NSs

Hot glue gun to dab on screw heads and avoid scratching the briar:
"H-195F Specialty Series 20 Watt Mini Size High Temperature Detail Hot Glue Gun"
Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/3qtuEW3

2022.01.09_The Pipe Pipe_Building + Installation 18_2022.01.15 photo shoot_FAV.jpeg2022.01.09_The Pipe Pipe_Building + Installation 12_2022.01.15 photo shoot_FAV.jpeg2022.01.09_The Pipe Pipe_Building + Installation 14_2022.01.15 photo shoot_FAV.jpeg2022.01.09_The Pipe Pipe_Building + Installation 16_2022.01.15 photo shoot_FAV.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ingenious to say the least, and artfully done. The fishing pole clips are the ticket, often used in pipe shops, but not so artfully. (I'd forgotten what the original use of those clips was, so I'm glad to be reminded; I didn't know what to call them.) I like the way you see the pipes in three dimensions more so than even on an open rack. The only drawback is that, to make this work visually, you need to have most or all of the clips full, but you have that, and any overage can be accommodated in an outlier rack or in a drawer. Bravo. A really nifty fix.

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
It looks good to us but how does the lady of the house like it. Whatever she says I'm good with.
The lady of the house suggested the spot and even helped me measure the spacing! Involving her early on was the way to go. While she doesn't smoke, her favorite color is black, and she really likes this dark Barling BB&S Londoner 403T from the 1960s! Libby with Barling BB&L Londoner.jpeg

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Ingenious to say the least, and artfully done. The fishing pole clips are the ticket, often used in pipe shops, but not so artfully. (I'd forgotten what the original use of those clips was, so I'm glad to be reminded; I didn't know what to call them.) I like the way you see the pipes in three dimensions more so than even on an open rack. The only drawback is that, to make this work visually, you need to have most or all of the clips full, but you have that, and any overage can be accommodated in an outlier rack or in a drawer. Bravo. A really nifty fix.
Thank you! I bought another set of three rods and another bag of the clips for when the array outgrows this fixture.

The nice thing about the clips is they aren't permanent, and you can slide them around and space them out so the display always looks full. You nailed it on the three-dimensional thing. It helps you appreciate them from every angle. I have a friend who ran an art gallery, and he sold art based on the idea of, 'If you walk past it in your home, and it makes you feel good.'

The other cool thing about the 3D element is the shadows it casts when my desk lamp is turned on at night.2022.02.21_The Pipe Pipe_All restorations complete.jpeg