PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
First, thanks to those gents who put this in their favorite TV shows, or I would have missed it. I find it fascinating, controversial, thought provoking. Beautifully filmed, too. Great acting by the whole cast, though Diane Keaton is not her best.
6MXuHLt.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The stem is missing through much of the story, but is here reunited with the stummel. There's an oblong diamond on the left side of the stem, easy to see in the moving frames, but I couldn't get a clear capture, even via 4K.
DRwyZCo.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Pretty sure that's a Brebbia, they have a diamond stem logo. For sure, that's from their Linea A line. Google it for some results.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Is this that newly added series on Net Flix? I thought I saw it there, but didn't get a chance to watch it ..

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Upon reading this, I had a flashback to when Pope JP2 visited Mexico City way back in the day. Amongst the seemingly endlessly array of papal visit tchotchkes was a roped shower soap with the pope's image impressed upon it >>> billled as Pope Soap On A Rope. AHA thought I!!! What if The Young Pope smokes Ropes??? heh heh...

Jerwynn, the pope in that series smokes ropes... um, I mean he swings both ways on ropes... I mean, he does drugs, has babies, has illicit... everything. He is the new conservative Pope that has come to right the church, but does all of the things he is condemning. It really hasn't captivated me yet. It needs more violence. :puffy:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Oh my!! Probably needs some crazed terrorists and bombs as well. And some Illuminati!! And some Knights Templar!! And some Priory of Sionites!!! Wait... been there done that??!!!??? :D

It did have a sword fight :::cough cough::: but, I think that if they'd have him drink from the skulls of protestants in some pagan blood ritual, then... This really could have been a great series. I'm just not sure the writers hit on exactly what the public wants to see right now. HBO did that with Vinyl. It could have been really good too, but they concentrated too much on the decadence, and left it devoid of a good story.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure I need this series in the sense that I grew up in Chicago with many Catholic friends and the Pope John encyclical made my friends cease calling me a Pagan ... which sounded kind of good to me at the time, being a Pagan, though I was a regular acolyte at the local (Protestant) Community Church.
Incidentally, I think the Cardinals selected the current Pope Francis as a conservative rule enforcer (according to some accounts) and were surprised when he became a much more embracing presence rather than just a new Sheriff, though I think he has held many of the old lines.
As with all "otherness," I have found my Catholic friends, and my long-time Catholic boss, and many other Catholics in my life, good people. Growing up it was a good exercise in both respecting and to some degree ignoring these categories. In any case ... nice pipe!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is this that newly added series on Net Flix? I thought I saw it there, but didn't get a chance to watch it ..
It's still being released in re-runs on HBO. You can watch it On Demand or broadcast, at least that's do with DIRECTV. Dunno about the Flix.
It's very though provoking to me, but several grains of salt are suggested in viewing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.