PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys!
I just wanted you to know about my new pipe maker's club, in Los Angeles, The Pipe Maker's Guild.
We've only had two meetings so far (one, unofficial and one, official) but we will be meeting up regularly now, probably once a month or so, to get together, make pipes, have a smoke, and talk about pipes, pipe makers and pipe making in general.
If you're in (or will be in) the Southern California area, and would like to join us, send me a PM (or post a reply here) and I will send you the date, time and place info. Our next meeting will probably be in mid-June.
All that's necessary is a pipe kit, the willingness to get dirty, and an interest in pipe making. You don't need any experience with tools or pipe making, just a desire to make a pipe and be around other aspiring pipe makers.
For now, we are focusing on shaping but, in the near future, I hope to have individual sessions where we focus on different aspects of pipe making (e.g., stummel drilling, stem shaping, tenon cutting, finishing, buffing, etc).
Here's a few pics of our first official meeting and some of the pipes (in their different phases) that we are working on right now:
Cutting a rough block on the bandsaw:

dsc_0722.jpg

Shaping a stummel on the disc sander:

ChrisOnSander1.jpg

A stummel (inspired by a vintage Castello 65) taking shape:

dsc_0723.jpg

dsc_0724.jpg

A pot shaped pipe I'm working on (next to its inspiration, a vintage Svendborg Baltic Bark Pot):

TakeshimaPot4.jpg

TakeshimaPot3.jpg

TakeshimaPot1.jpg

It was a lot of fun to get together and make pipes, so, again, if you'd like to join us, let me know .

Thanks!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
With the thicker walls I think I like the one you made better actually. Nice work and really enjoy the pics showing each stage. Wish something like this would pop up close to me.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the kind words.
For those of you in other areas, you might want to check around on the forum to see who might be in your area, and who are also interested in making pipes. They might have some tools, or, you can get together and get some basic tools between you, and you could probably get together to work on them in someone's garage
Lonestar, the belt/disc sander is an old one (in fact, most all of my tools are old--as they definitely don't make 'em like they used to and I like that). I picked it up on Craigslist for about $40 and it is pretty much indispensable for pipe making. With a couple of pipe kits, a used belt/disc sander, some files and sandpaper, you can make a pipe (actually, you don't even need the machine sander, but, it just makes things go a lot faster).
I haven't actually made very many pipes (only about four or five) but, I used to make my living making furniture, which is why I have a shop (which I share with other people). And, although, I do have woodworking experience, pipe making is a whole other animal and, for a complete beginner, I think, can be very forgiving (at least, in terms of working with tools--which you don't need very many of).
Kevin, thanks for the encouragement. Will definitely keep you posted.
Thanks, guys.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Glad to see you have the new club rolling along. I'm not that far west much but will keep the club in mind. I'm in eastern central Missouri and open to share my shop and tools just about any time. I can even make up some pipe kits for others to mess round with if anyone is interested. Also have a buddy lives close that makes pipes too. So we could really screw you up.

I love your idea for the club and wish there were enough people round here interested in starting one.
I've also got a belt sander a lot like that one that I'm in the process of changing to work with some extra long belts I have.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I'm in orange county and would love to attend. When and where are you planning to have the next meet?

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
BriarBird, I've lived in California, and nothing against those that do, but I wouldn't want to live there ever again, not even for the ability to join what looks like a great club to be a member of. :)

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
For those of you that have been following the making of our pipes, here at the PMG, just wanted to give you an update on the progress of my pot shaped pipe (I warn you, the images you are about to see are graphic).
TakeshimaPot6.jpg

Well, it's pretty much come to a standstill. As you can see, yesterday (after untold hours of work on this stem (and stummel): sanding, shaping; turning the tenon by hand; opening up the button, freehand, with a dremel, etc.), while rusticating the bowl, I...dropped, yes dropped this pipe, out of my hands, and onto my very unforgiving workshop floor, only to hear a tiny, but almost deafening, sound, "crack!"
TakeshimaPot5.jpg

I knew before I even picked it up that the tenon inside was broken, and I was right. Not only that, the broken tenon was stuck inside the draft hole (awesome). And before I even had a chance to recover from my deep depression and fish the damn thing out, my guitar making buddy (who I share my shop with--and who knows even less than I do about pipe making [less than zero]), took the tang end of a huge file he uses to shape guitar necks and jammed it into the mortise side of the stummel, trying to dig the broken tenon out.
As I was still in shock from the break, and unable to speak like a normal human being, he started reaming the mortise end as I started (but couldn't finish) protests for him to be careful (as I didn't want the mortise end of the stummel going out of square, or the draft hole going out of round--and thus, ruining that too). But before I could complete sentences like, "Be careful, dude, 'cause--" and, "Don't twist too hard, man, 'cause--" it was out. He handed me the tiny, little broken tenon and I stood there, looking at it, like a kid holding a tooth that had fallen out: sad to see it go, but, in a way, happy for the experience (if that makes sense).
What I'm getting at, despite me still being really bummed out every time I think about it (still, even now), is that pipe making, in a real, visceral way, really affords you the opportunity to learn a lot about, well, not only making a pipe, but, about yourself.
What I've learned from this experience as it regards making a pipe:
1. When rusticating a bowl, remove the stem and mask off the draft hole end of the shank. Easy Peazy! (Why the hell didn't I think of that?!)
2. Despite being proud of myself for hand turning the tenon, it's probably not a good idea to drill a 4mm draft hole in your stem, when your tenon needs to fit a 1/4" mortise (as that leaves you with walls on your tenon that are about 1mm thick--which, now that I think of it, with walls that thin, my tenon would have broken sooner or later and most likely from just the heat generated from smoking). So, next time (instead of trying to reinvent the wheel and spending half a day trying to hand turn a tenon), drill two holes (one in the stem, and one in the shank end), glue a piece of Delrin rod (which I have) to the stem, and call it a day.
3. Everything is fixable (or, at least, do-overable). While looking at the damage today, I realized I can try to redrill the stem hole (and the mortise in the shank) to fit a 5/16" Delrin rod, and, as long as it lines up pretty square, I'm back in business. Now, will that be easy to do? Probably not. But, if all else fails, I can always re-do the stem (which, yes, suuuuuccccks...I know, but...what can you do?)
And, finally,
4. And this is the most important lesson: DON'T DROP THE DAMN PIPE! (especially when you have the stem in there, and especially, when you're nearing the end of the pipe making process, but, really, just don't drop a pipe, ever. It's not good for your pipe and it really sucks for you.)
What I've learned about myself:
1. Pipe making, and all its trials and tribulations, really test a man's patience and perseverance. When you think about all the time and tools, and money, you spend on trying to make a pipe, you think, "Wow, I could've bought, like, two Castellos, a Dunhill and a few Sasquatches and had a nice, small collection of world class, hand made, smoking machines!" But (and coming from the experience of making a lot of things for others, and myself--and as good as the aforementioned pipe makers and their pipes are [and you really owe it to yourself to get one--get the Sasquatch]), there's nothing quite like the experience of enjoying something that you've made with your own two hands, and, no matter what hell you've got to go through to get there, in the end, it's always worth it.
So, that being said...I'll be back to show you some more pictures of this pipe, when it's finished. :puffy:
I just hope that I don't drop the damn thing on the way...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
/jealous
I have the artistic vision to make crazy pipes... but not the execution.
One day I'll join the ranks of rogue pipe makers.... one day.
P.S. Sorry to hear about the kerfuffle with the stem, but that's how you learn.
Just don't make the same mistake twice...

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys (and gals),
The 2nd meeting of the Pipe Maker's Guild, will be held on Saturday, June 23rd, 2012!
Each session takes place in my woodworking shop in Los Angeles and all tools are provided. You will, however, need to bring a few things (listed below).
If you'd like to join us, send me a PM (space is limited, so, earlier is better) and I will send you some info:
Here is, basically, what you will need.
1. A pipe kit (or, pipe you're currently working on). For now, we're concentrating on shaping. In future meetings we will be going over the process of making a pipe, from scratch, step by step.
2. Some dust masks and a pair of safety glasses or goggles (briar dust is very fine so, you'll want to wear some protection).
3. A pipe you already have (not made by you) that you want to use as a guide to make your pipe (this is not absolutely necessary but it's good to have a three dimensional object, in this case, another pipe, that you can work from as it's easier to see where you have to end up).
You may also want to bring a folding chair, a drink and/or some lunch (although we usually order in or go out for a quick bite), a pipe to smoke and your favorite toby, and a good attitude and the willingness to make mistakes. We have a lot of fun and sometimes we even make a pipe.
Let me know if you'd like to join us.

Thanks,

Frank

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on the progress of this last pipe I was working on and to let you know that the Pipe Maker's Guild will start having regular meetings again starting in September (took a little break for the summer--as it's just too dang hot here in the City of Angels).
Here's a pic of the pipe I was working on (a pot shaped pipe, the hand turned tenon of which I broke by, you know, dropping it on the floor by mistake like a dufus).
TakeshimaPot5.jpg

And here's what it looks like now, all complete:
TakeshimaPot1.jpg

TakeshimaPot2.jpg

TakeshimaPot3.jpg

I've been outfitting my shop some more and organizing over the summer. Working on an Olive wood Poker right now and hope to have that one done faster than I did this one (which took forever). I will post some pics of that one soon as I have something to show that looks sort of like a pipe.
If you're interested in joining us to make some pipes, either next month or somewhere down the line (next meeting will probably be mid-late September), let me know (either here, or PM me) and we'll save a spot for you. There's no charge and I have enough tools so you can make yourself something that resembles a pipe. Heck, it might even smoke like a pipe, too!
Thanks again,

Frank

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very beautiful pipe! Wish I was in LA so that I could be a part of the club... Looks like I will have to start my own!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Very nice... ive carved a couple of pipes from Meerschaum but really want to start working with Briar... is this club still active? I live in Upland, CA. and would love to possibly attend and check it out.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Erick.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey Erick,

Yes, indeed, we are still active. I've been a little slammed with work lately (I make leather pipe accessories in my Etsy shop: Sorringowl & Sons) and I've been reorganizing my woodworking shop, but I plan on having another meeting, probably at the end of October. I will post the next meeting date here soon.
I'd love to see some of your Meerschaum pipes (either here and/or at the next club meeting). Sounds very cool!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
That's pretty cool...I wish we had something like that in the bay area...
We have wood shop buildings, that you pay a fee to get into (i think by the hour) and you use their equipment, but it's not tailored to making pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.