PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I've carried one of my two Boker Kalashnikov Auto's for the past 7-8 years (replaced a Gerber Leek).
Blade Ops usually has them on sale for around $30. Neither have failed yet. You do need to sharpen the D2 steel with some frequency, but I use these for beater tasks. They are disposable, but just haven't failed.
Auto open is super convenient and always fun.

D2 is great.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
You do need to sharpen the D2 steel with some frequency
I don't have anything in D2, but I was under the impression that it held its edge almost too well, the trade-off being that when you do have to sharpen it, it's very difficult to.
Has that not been your experience?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've carried one of my two Boker Kalashnikov Auto's for the past 7-8 years (replaced a Gerber Leek).
Blade Ops usually has them on sale for around $30. Neither have failed yet. You do need to sharpen the D2 steel with some frequency, but I use these for beater tasks. They are disposable, but just haven't failed.
Auto open is super convenient and always fun.

I have a few of those too and they're my work beaters. Trouble is I've had them open while in my pocket, unbeknownst to me, and cut myself reaching in for change or keys.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottmi

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I've been carrying a simple Opinel since my army days and it's always sharp and ready to go. I have one with a curved end (instead of a point) that I have in my pipe smoking area in the garage, too, that's perfect for emptying a bowl, tamping, and slicing up plugs.

Reactions: Bengel and Scottmi

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't have anything in D2, but I was under the impression that it held its edge almost too well, the trade-off being that when you do have to sharpen it, it's very difficult to.
Has that not been your experience?
I just use a Smith's Jiff sharpener, that's all I need and it takes a minute. Not kind to the blade, but like I said, at $30, these are disposable. And oddly, they are the two pocket knives I have not yet lost!
I have a few of those too and they're my work beaters. Trouble is I've had them open while in my pocket, unbeknownst to me, and cut myself reaching in for change or keys.
I've fortunately never had one open. The activation button must be depressed fairly purposely. But, I carry mine clipped on my pants pocket, and carry little else.

Reactions: Bengel and SBC

lithicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2023
Pennsylvania
My first ever pocket knife was a Case Peanut my grandfather hand picked me at SMKW when I was 6 or 7. He told me, "Now, Case Double XX makes the best knives in the world. You take care of this and it'll be worth money one day." I still have that knife; original box with price tag, warranty papers, and all.

I carry Case probably more than any other brand. This one in particular time has a hard time leaving my pocket.

Last edited:

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I bought a house from a retired electrician a few years ago and found a battered old Klein knife had been left behind in a kitchen drawer. I lubricated it found it to be a great knife, maybe Just a little bulky for pocket carry (#44036). Klein also offers a slimmer profile series of knives and I acquired a used one of those (#44033) and think it's just about perfect for daily carry. Both are Japanese made. The larger is 2-5/8", the smaller is 2-1/4". Klein makes different sizes in both series of knives.

1706291421076.png

doccaliban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2014
Pacific Northwest
EDC knives are a funny thing for me. I carry a few things that I actually use at least a few times a week, I do a huge range of activities, and yet the one thing I almost literally never need is a blade. Ever. Only recently did I buy a little keychain thing with a 1/2 inch blade for one specific use at work. I just never ever need one, and not because I don't "do stuff".

Edit: To be fair, when I am AT work, I carry a multi-tool, and that blade gets used sometimes. Not as often as one would think though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Scottmi
Jul 12, 2011
Love my CRKT CEO Blackout EDC, also doubles as a steak knife if/when needed puffy
1706419473056.png

as well as the trusty Benchmade Griptilian - The action is SO smooth on this I had people thinking it was a switchblade, bdw

1706419661814.png

and lost this beauty - It is somewhere in the damn house - should have put a tracker on it - Great for opening lots of packages from Smokingpipes.com
1706420743791.png

folds up nice

1706420837111.png

Have some nice Braus EDCs as well - great for cutting Plug blocks
1706422875380.png
1706422921380.png

Last edited:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Caught this PM2 on sale a number of months ago. Distributor special in S90V with teal colored G10 scales. Well those had to go, so replaced them with Flytanium micarta scales. Carries better than I thought considering how large it is. Think I'll also put a Lynch deep carry clip on it.
PXL_20240124_035506633~2.jpg

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
The best one for me is this Buck knife. I have it for years and it is just perfect.

20240128_170536.jpg
The Buck 110 A was my first serious pocket knife but is a most terrible knife for normal use. But I still like it for what it is.

These two are my true daily knives/tools nowadays that I carry around everywhere with my pipes.

20240128_170502.jpg