Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Around this time last year I picked up the hobby of pipe smoking after getting physically sick after lighting a cigarette. I have never looked back, and now, I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. I've met some really cool people and made some great friends (thanks to PM Forums). My pipe collection went from one Medico Brylon to total of 16 briars (mostly Brigham and Trypis) and I've learned that each pipe smokes differently from blend to blend. I learned to love English blends (first Lat taste was MacB's Plumcake) and I've learned what my tastes DO NOT like (namely Lakelands). I've stockted up a small cellar with almost 10lbs of different tobacco treats and I've learned that I'm more of an Aro-Virginia-Burley-English liker. In the last yr I learned how to smoke a flake properly and have been rewarded with stellar smoking experiences. Aros are a nice change up to the stronger Englishes and the Va's and Bur's make a nice mix up of smoking delites. I do want to thank everyone who has answered my questions and helped me to become a successful and happy piper.
A word of advice for newbies, take your time, start out slow and ask as many questions as you can. This is a hobby of paitence and time. The more paitent you are with it the more times you will enjoy it. Smoke slow and in no time at all you will have mastered the hobby and you probably won't even realize it until the first 'revelation' you have with that certain pipe and that certain blend that mix so well together.
Happy smoking everyone! :puffy:
-Nick

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Good stuff. I just passed the year mark in September and have come a long way thanks to the nice folks around here.

Always still learning.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Congrats Nick. I too have learned a lot from this forum, thanks to the selfless posts of many members. Without PM I'd probably still have a few ziploc baggies of random tobacco and still be struggling on keeping my pipe lit. Great bunch of people here.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Glad to hear you are enjoying your experiences thusfar. Pipe smoking is one of those hobbies you can't just pick up and hit the ground running. There's some learning curve and lots of information to absorb but once it clicks, you can't imagine not having your pipes. After coming off a few years hiatus from the briars, it's crazy to think I ever took a break given how much I am enjoying them now.
The greatest thing about this hobby are the fellow pipe smokers. If you are new or trying to figure something out, there's always a great mentor willing to step in and help out with tips or recommendations. I've been part of several hobbyist groups and I have to say the pipe smoking community is by far the best.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Congrats. I will be reaching my 1 year in the next week or two. You definitely went full out with your pipe and tobacco collection. I just have 3 pipes and the collection of samples I got from 4noggins. That being said, I was never a daily cigarette smoker but an occasional cigar smoker, and as such I am a casual pipe smoker. Certainly nice to pack a bowl when the occasion presents itself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nick, I am glad to hear that you are really enjoying your pipes and tobacco and that you have learned a great deal in your first year. I wish I had this site when I first began because there is so much great info that makes the learning curve much less. When I started in 2000 it was impossible to get the information that is available to you guys and the learning curve was so much greater, more time consuming and way more expensive. I learned an incredible amount since I became a member here less than 2 years ago and thanks to everyone here, I am still learning new stuff on a constant basis. If I had not learned that I had a body chemistry issue with Red Virginia's I would still be beating my head against the wall trying to smoke blends that were loaded with the reds. This site has increased my enjoyment of my pipes and tobaccos to such an incredible degree that I am always grateful that this place exists. We are all very fortunate that Kevin came up with this site and I for one will always be thankful to him.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
It's nice to share experiences and ideas with each other and I'm happy to see there's other people who are or were in the same boat. I'm still learning new things and I try different packing methods with different pipes and different blends from time to time. I really do enjoy my pipes anytime I feel like a smoke I'm a regular moderate smoker with about 3-6 bowls a day. I do inhale sometimes but have slowed down on that quite a bit. I inhale through my nose while closing my lips around the bit or sometimes I push the smone out my nose with my tongue to taste the tobacco that way.

Right now we're decorating our tree and the house and I slipped out for a quick pipe while I enjoy a nice cold glass of Zirkova Vodka. Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah and most of all enjoy your pipes guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.