The Palate Issue

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Indeed. Clutching at straws here really. Not too hot and not too fast. Tobacco is dry. I can taste the difference between most French reds and whites. I can taste just about everything from saffron to anchovies. Coffee needs to have milk to get a taste but that’s the only anomaly I can think of.
I think that we all want to help. But, if you think that you are smoking as slow as you can with only small trickle of smoke, being savored slowly as you progress. And, your pipe isn't grossly dirty, you feel confident that your packing skills are right one...
then... maybe try different tobaccos. Not all blends are for everyone. I have to be in a certain mood on a blue moon to smoke an aromatic.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Can't taste pipe tobacco or coffee? Sounds ridiculous at first, but your descriptors remind me of my post-covid experience. A year later, and my taster still comes and goes. I'm currently quite capable of lighting up a bowl and tasting almost nothing. It has to be a neurological, nasal sensor, brain wiring disorder in my case, I'm thinking. Proof lies in my tolerance for Cult Blood Red Moon (or whatever it's called), a blend that would have made me retch, prior to my suffering brain damage. (And may I add, due to that damage, I should not be held responsible for anything I say here.)

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Can't taste pipe tobacco or coffee? Sounds ridiculous at first, but your descriptors remind me of my post-covid experience. A year later, and my taster still comes and goes. I'm currently quite capable of lighting up a bowl and tasting almost nothing. It has to be a neurological, nasal sensor, brain wiring disorder in my case, I'm thinking. Proof lies in my tolerance for Cult Blood Red Moon (or whatever it's called), a blend that would have made me retch, prior to my suffering brain damage. (And may I add, due to that damage, I should not be held responsible for anything I say here.)
Oh come on , in the world of aromatics CBRM is one of the best ones

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
If you're doing everything right, you need to try a boat load of different blends. Try something with a big Oriental leaf hit. Try black frigate. Try bayou night. Those are flavour bombs.

You gotta find your blend preference. I had a bowl of Reiner Golden Flake that has a huge positive feedback score. I barely tasted a thing.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I hadn’t considered the possibility of a COVID effect- seems very plausible.

Having intermittent loss of taste must suck. I’ve been lucky enough not to have had Covid (yet/that I know of).

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I think that we all want to help. But, if you think that you are smoking as slow as you can with only small trickle of smoke, being savored slowly as you progress. And, your pipe isn't grossly dirty, you feel confident that your packing skills are right one...
then... maybe try different tobaccos. Not all blends are for everyone. I have to be in a certain mood on a blue moon to smoke an aromatic.
Yes - I think there has been a lot of good advice here.
I guess the question in the end, and in no means is it meant to discourage you, is: if you're getting just a smoke taste after trying multiple types of tobacco, working on packing, correct drying, etc., what is drawing you to smoking a pipe - and is it really something you want to pursue in the end? Maybe, at the end of the day, you just don't like it. Maybe you like the pipes and everything around pipe smoking, but the actual putting the pipe in your mouth and lighting the tobacco, it's not something that you really enjoy in the end. And hey - that's alright. I'm never going to like tofu - smoked, baked, grilled or whatever.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Yes - I think there has been a lot of good advice here.
I guess the question in the end, and in no means is it meant to discourage you, is: if you're getting just a smoke taste after trying multiple types of tobacco, working on packing, correct drying, etc., what is drawing you to smoking a pipe - and is it really something you want to pursue in the end? Maybe, at the end of the day, you just don't like it. Maybe you like the pipes and everything around pipe smoking, but the actual putting the pipe in your mouth and lighting the tobacco, it's not something that you really enjoy in the end. And hey - that's alright. I'm never going to like tofu - smoked, baked, grilled or whatever.
It’s a good point and I have thought about it. Yes, I really enjoy the process. The pipes, the cleaning and some attempts at renovation. I suppose I’m still driven by the idea that I will develop that elusive taste and that’s what drives me at the moment.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
While I would usually defer to the opinions of more experienced smokers than myself, I believe the first and simplest step to take is to quit thinking so much. Some of my most enjoyable smokes or ah ha moments regarding flavors in a blend have happened when my mind was completely absorbed in something else.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I've smoked pipes for a few years now and understand your pain. My wife has much better hearing and palate than I do. Drives me crazy.

A few months ago I dedicated myself to using the breath method as taught by Muttonchop Piper. It's changed everything. Tasting nuances I never knew existed. May want to give it a try.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've smoked pipes for a few years now and understand your pain. My wife has much better hearing and palate than I do. Drives me crazy.

A few months ago I dedicated myself to using the breath method as taught by Muttonchop Piper. It's changed everything. Tasting nuances I never knew existed. May want to give it a try.
Just because we all know what's coming next

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
I tend to think of the "breathe method" mostly as a tool to manage the ember. If the ember's fading I use it, if the ember's too strong, I pause on smoking, then use it gauge it's strength, I use it sparingly in every bowl, or if I'm busy while clenching. But, no doubt, employing it can greatly improve one's ability to enjoy a smoke by reducing puffing and overheating the leaf.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, the breath method is all right, but not necessary for anything for many people. Some cannot be happy except with it.

Diff strokes; diff folks.

Reactions: AJL67

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England

Hi
Yes I have tried that and liked his 2nd explanation video. Made a lot of sense!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And used breathing method too.
The breath method just keeps a pipe cool and burning. It has negligible affect on flavor. Regardless of how you smoke, if you're producing large clouds, you risk burning a hole in the pipe sand losing all flavor.