PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
I think, as some have mentioned already - tasting is transferable - in my case from Habanos to wine to the pipe. It's also trusting your taste and recognizing that there is some subjectivity to it - ie. does it really taste like "sweet and sour soup" from Chinatown, (one of the tastes I come across)? The answer is - it doesn't matter! What does matter is that you recognize that taste and can spot it again when you try other tobaccos. Reminds me of a Cuban cigar review on Friends of Habanos - where the reviewer comments that it tastes like "crushed ants". The other reviewer laughs, but asks him to define it more. What's important is that he knows what he means by the taste - that's developing your tasting ability - taking the time to smoke slowly and reflect on the tastes that are going on in your mouth, and yes - your retrohaling.
Another suggestion: to refine your tastes - try smoking some "purer" blends - ie - just oriental, or straight virginia or just burley, so something really latakia forward - to get a taste for each of those individual tobaccos - to be able to pick them out later.
Thank you. All good points but what if the only thing you can taste is “tobacco”. ie. No flavour at all. Does this come over time?

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thank you. All good points but what if the only thing you can taste is “tobacco”. ie. No flavour at all. Does this come over time?
"Tasting 'tobacco'", and "no flavour at all," are not the same thing. If you're tasting tobacco, the next step is to break that down: what are you tasting? what does that mean? Is it sweet? Smokey? Sour? Vegetable taste? What is it exactly that your tasting. And not to neglect it - smell is an important part of taste as well. When you're tasting cigars or wine, you're noting the "nose" as well. What does the tobacco smell like cold? Or the cigar run under your nose? A puff before it's lit - what's the taste coming through?
If your tasting other things in your life, I don't think that it's an issue with your taste. It's just learning to taste something more complex. OR maybe learning to "complexify" your taste. That's part of the learning process.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ok. So you think it will come as the palate develops? Like I say, I’m just getting smoke at the moment.
I suggest maybe starting with other non-smoking things: your next meal. Try breaking that meal down: the smell of the meal; the taste as you "roll" it in your mouth; the taste as you swallow it - or the second after you swallowed it. I'm drinking my morning tea - more complex. How would I define that taste? In regards to food, as with pipe tobacco or wine or whatever, it's important to note that the taste evoked might not be something that you normally eat. Example: a dry Chablis tasting stone or flint.

Reactions: yanoJL

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
It won't come "as the palate develops", although I'm sure there is a passive aspect as well. It will come when you've begun to reflect upon it and worked out those tastes. It's might be more - teaching the palate - or maybe even more - learning from what your palate is already giving you, that you didn't really pay much attention to before.
I would start with the food.

Reactions: LiamClanNastey

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Ok. So you think it will come as the palate develops? Like I say, I’m just getting smoke at the moment.
It also depends on what your smoking.
There are some very light blends like Early Morning Pipe that I agree taste like nothing but hot air
Also different tobacco types will generally need to be smoked differently to coax the most flavor out of them . For example young/younger Virginias will generally need to be smoked slower than most to be able to pull the nuances out of it

Reactions: yanoJL

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have no sage advice just some observations er my experience. I’ve been smoking pipes for a few years and don’t understand my palate at all. Some blends that are supposed to be flavor bombs leave me wanting while others that some find weak are really enjoyable for me. Milder English blends like Presbyterian and EMP seem to be the sweet spot for me favor wise. Both have a wonderful smokiness and great flavor from the orientals. Epiphany is another light English that really does it for me. I love the flavor that I get from the burly and perique in Epiphany yet I’m not a big fan of many other blends that are supposed to showcase these two tobaccos.

I guess what I’m saying is pretty obvious I.e. that there seem to be massive individual differences in how people perceive the favor of different blends.

@LiamClanNastey - I hope you find some blends that give you the experience you think you are missing out on.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
I have no sage advice just some observations er my experience. I’ve been smoking pipes for a few years and don’t understand my palate at all. Some blends that are supposed to be flavor bombs leave me wanting while others that some find weak are really enjoyable for me. Milder English blends like Presbyterian and EMP seem to be the sweet spot for me favor wise. Both have a wonderful smokiness and great flavor from the orientals. Epiphany is another light English that really does it for me. I love the flavor that I get from the burly and perique in Epiphany yet I’m not a big fan of many other blends that are supposed to showcase these two tobaccos.

I guess what I’m saying is pretty obvious I.e. that there seem to be massive individual differences in how people perceive the favor of different blends.

@LiamClanNastey - I hope you find some blends that give you the experience you think you are missing out on.
I’d just like to taste something other than just tobacco and ash 😉

I’d just like to taste something other than just tobacco and ash
It sounds like you may be smoking too fast making too much smoke. Taste in tobacco comes from the surrounding warmed tobacco releasing it's essential oils and flavonoids. The actual smoke has little to no taste. This would eliminate the ash taste, but the tobacco taste is why we all do this.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
It sounds like you may be smoking too fast making too much smoke. Taste in tobacco comes from the surrounding warmed tobacco releasing it's essential oils and flavonoids. The actual smoke has little to no taste. This would eliminate the ash taste, but the tobacco taste is why we all do this.
Yes, tried slow, retro, breathing tech and all those. That’s when somebody said you may not taste anything for months…

Tried several different tobaccos. Going down the aro route at the moment
The word "aromatic" refers to aroma or smell... and smell is where we get the majority of what we think is taste on our tongue. If you eat an orange with no sense of smell, we don't taste it, and can't tell what it is that we are eating.
So, slow down, but also try to enjoy the aromas from the pipe.

It does take time, and what we think of as slow, can always be slowed down even more. Some say that aromatics are more for the experienced pipe smoker, but I'm on the fence on that idea. I think that one just has top develop the skills, no matter what tobacco type they smoke. However, if interested, latakia blends do tend to be easier for the neophyte pipe smoker to grasp.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
If by Tobacco taste you mean ashy and cigarette like and this is the taste you get from every blend you have tried I think the issue is most likely a combination of the tobacco not being dry enough and or smoking too fast.

If you can taste and smell food normally I don’t know what other explanation there can be.

Reactions: sparker69

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
If by Tobacco taste you mean ashy and cigarette like and this is the taste you get from every blend you have tried I think the issue is most likely a combination of the tobacco not being dry enough and or smoking too fast.

If you can taste and smell food normally I don’t know what other explanation there can be.
Indeed. Clutching at straws here really. Not too hot and not too fast. Tobacco is dry. I can taste the difference between most French reds and whites. I can taste just about everything from saffron to anchovies. Coffee needs to have milk to get a taste but that’s the only anomaly I can think of.

Reactions: LotusEater