PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Somewhat off topic, but kind of related to pipe shapes. I'm amazed at how my tastes have changed from when I first started on this journey. Going from, "damn, what an ugly pipe, no way would I ever consider that shape in my collection!" going to "damn, I've gotta have that pipe...NOW!"

I read the thread, linked by @dunnyboy, there was a discussion about the Rhodesian & Hungarian (Oom Paul) shapes. I've always liked a bulldog/Rhodesian shape bowl, but prefer the diamond shank of the Rhodesian. As for the Hungarian, it never really appealed to me. However, that has started to change recently, for whatever reason, and I find myself regarding this shape more & more. Not saying I want one immediately, but who knows? it's certainly not off the cards.
My taste in pipes has certainly evolved. I used to be interested in only classic British billiards, pots, apples and bulldogs, whether straight or bent. Now I have just one such pipe, a Dunhill shell bent billiard, that I use for travel.

Most people think bulldogs have diamond shanks and Rhodesian oval or round shanks. Mind you, I've seen them labeled both ways. Personally, I prefer the diamond shank too.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
There's a great article in SP about the calabash:

"The gourd Calabash originated along the southern tip of Africa sometime during the 1600s and later became immensely popular among soldiers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who fought in the Second Boer War from 1899 to 1902. After the war, those soldiers returned home, bringing their gourd Calabash pipes with them as souvenirs."

I can't find out when the bulldog/Rhodesian was first produced but, if it was introduced before around 1902, then it's unlikely that it was derived from the calabash. Also, the gourd calabash bears less of a resemblance to the bulldog than does the billiard calabash.
Bulldogs were certainly around prior to 1902 as I have 1 made in 1900.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Pipe History: In 1877 renown twit and pipe smoker, Sir Bunny Wigglesworth, observed his favorite dog "Poops", doing his business on the grounds of his estate. He was so taken with the shape created by Poops he commission a local craftsman to make him a pipe in the shape of the turd to commemorate the occasion. Thus was born the bulldog shape. puffy

Poops.jpg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Pipe History: In 1877 renown twit and pipe smoker, Sir Bunny Wigglesworth, observed his favorite dog "Poops", doing his business on the grounds of his estate. He was so taken with the shape created by Poops he commission a local craftsman to make him a pipe in the shape of the turd to commemorate the occasion. Thus was born the bulldog shape. puffy

View attachment 204800
Caption for this photo', please!

Poor guy.