PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
There was an interesting pipesmagazine thread about the history of pipe shapes that was closed in 2015. @cosmicfolklore made some interesting contributions to that thread so I hope he will chime in.

What got me thinking about this topic was @Fralphog's post about his restoration of an antique store Rhodesian. If you look at the photo of his pipe, you can see its resemblance to the stock photo of a briar calabash. It's pretty clear the briar calabash derived from the gourd calabash. But does the Rhodesian/bulldog also derive from the calabash, which I assume was an earlier design? The conventional wisdom seems to be that the shape originated (in France?) because it was easier to make the two cones of the bulldog than the rounded shape of the billiard. Looking at broad flat bulldogs like @Fralphog's, however, I wonder if the idea for a two-part bowl, separated by a bead or ridge line, didn't originate with the calabash. 26BF873C-A8F2-4000-B06F-9A42B16DC966.jpeg002-376-0364.6553.jpg

Yes, I believe the bulldog is the way it is, because it was the easiest shape to set up for fraising. However whether the calabash, moosecap, or Rhodesian came from the gourd calabash, I would research what came first. When did the tradition of using the calabash gourd start and where?

The billiard came from the simple clay cutty. That, we know which came first.

The mid to late 19century is sort if a gray period, as pipe companies were just gearing up and small. Printing for pipe charts is very rare.
And, international communication for marketing was just starting with the telegraph… which didn’t leave many footprints.

We don’t get many pipe charts till the 20th century, really.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I’m finding this thread very interesting!
After reading through the comments, I thought I’d post a picture of another House of Robertson pipe I picked up here in Boise last year- a large Calabash!
Here are the two pipes side-by-side. Both from the same Carver- Thayer Robertson.
DEDCF4CE-9C08-47CF-B7AE-6724710DD11B.jpeg

Attachments

• ACEE22D7-837F-4893-B640-AFD0F03E1CE4.jpeg
    ACEE22D7-837F-4893-B640-AFD0F03E1CE4.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there is an interplay between the capabilities of the tools and techniques and what people do for visual appeal. Part of the allure of pipes is their seemingly infinite variety in shapes and variety within one given shape. Craftsmanship is a key, and so is imagination.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
There's a great article in SP about the calabash:

"The gourd Calabash originated along the southern tip of Africa sometime during the 1600s and later became immensely popular among soldiers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who fought in the Second Boer War from 1899 to 1902. After the war, those soldiers returned home, bringing their gourd Calabash pipes with them as souvenirs."

I can't find out when the bulldog/Rhodesian was first produced but, if it was introduced before around 1902, then it's unlikely that it was derived from the calabash. Also, the gourd calabash bears less of a resemblance to the bulldog than does the billiard calabash.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
There's a great article in SP about the calabash:

"The gourd Calabash originated along the southern tip of Africa sometime during the 1600s and later became immensely popular among soldiers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who fought in the Second Boer War from 1899 to 1902. After the war, those soldiers returned home, bringing their gourd Calabash pipes with them as souvenirs."

I can't find out when the bulldog/Rhodesian was first produced but, if it was introduced before around 1902, then it's unlikely that it was derived from the calabash. Also, the gourd calabash bears less of a resemblance to the bulldog than does the billiard calabash.
@dunnyboy ,
A wonderful article indeed. Love the history. Thanks

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
An interesting article on standard shapes:

I used to sit and watch my old machinist friend Jack play with his lathes and milling machines, and I wish I’d paid more attention.

But as I remember the lessons anything you can turn on a lathe is easier than milling out something flat.

Lathes have been around since ancient times, but milling machines only since the Industrial Revolution.

Wouldn’t either a Dublin or this Billiard have been the easiest to make?

B4976B6F-C2D0-47C4-A274-1EBF36188E44.jpeg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Somewhat off topic, but kind of related to pipe shapes. I'm amazed at how my tastes have changed from when I first started on this journey. Going from, "damn, what an ugly pipe, no way would I ever consider that shape in my collection!" going to "damn, I've gotta have that pipe...NOW!"

I read the thread, linked by @dunnyboy, there was a discussion about the Rhodesian & Hungarian (Oom Paul) shapes. I've always liked a bulldog/Rhodesian shape bowl, but prefer the diamond shank of the Rhodesian. As for the Hungarian, it never really appealed to me. However, that has started to change recently, for whatever reason, and I find myself regarding this shape more & more. Not saying I want one immediately, but who knows? it's certainly not off the cards.