PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
008.jpg

The Peterson's System 303 is one of my favorite shapes. I love this pipe which is just big enough to fill my hand without being overbearing. A perfect amount of bend pleases my eye and the chamber dimensions seem to facilitate a good burn whatever tobacco style or cut I put in it.

014.jpg

The pipe has all the characteristics of the Premier grade; decent briar with a bit of flame, lots of birdseye and a classy silver ferrule capping off the shank. It wasn't until the first time I smoked the pipe last summer on my patio that a real surprise revealed itself. As I sat admiring my then new smoking piece in the natural light I suddenly noticed the face of an old man with a long flowing beard peering out from the birdseye grain.

028.jpg

Look closely in the center of the bowl. The man's nose and brows are plainly visible and with a little imagination you can make out the beard split in two as if being blown by the wind. A little strange at first but in time I got used to it and this pipe has become one of my favorites.

026.jpg

I ordered the pipe from Cup O' Joes and had the pipe for a day before I got around to smoking it and noticing the unique feature. Was it just blind Luck, a wood spirit or Gandalf perhaps? Whatever the case I like it and I can say that this Peterson really has a personality.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I saw the old man right away. That's freaking epic. Keep him nice and shiny!
A family heirloom for sure.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Down here in New Orleans, that is the type of stuff to scare your children with in order to make them behave.
I love it! Take care and keep him happy. Give him many good smokes and the occasional fine scotch.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
It must be great to sit with a old friend every time you light it up, don't start talking to him, don't think you can smoke in a padded cell, 303 is many a Pete-nut's favorite shape, certainly mine, look after him. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nice ! I think it's Saruman haunting your smokes. You should send it to me so that he doesn't put a bad spell on you. ;-)

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I didn't see the old man but what I did see makes me peckish. I think I need therapy.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Guys!

Mick -I'm a pretty level headed guy. I know which talismans to avoid so thanks for your offer of safekeeping but I'll be keeping an eye on the old boy. :lol:
Anyway it's a great pipe and I really enjoy it.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I was getting my favorite Pete System 303 out for a smoke later and deciced to bump my old post up. It's a cool pipe!
IMG_2564.jpg

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Very cool post. I wish I had started smoking a System pipe earlier. They are perfect for the South - they have no problem with the high humidity. Thanks for the pictures; that pipe is truly unique.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sorry to be a stick in the mud...

But, I hated mine.

One or two smokes and it went sour.

I love the way they look, but I won't buy another.

I'm not a fan of the P-Lip either.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with yours Lawrence. I've got 3 303's and they are all good smokers. I don't have much opinion about the P-lip. I don't mind it and I also love my other pipes with fishtail bits just as much.
Dave, yes he speaks but not in words! :puffy:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Funny, at first i could see the old man.........now i cannot not see him.

the typical optical illusions scenario.
Very cool..........

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
If you look just below his right eye he also is smoking a pipe. There's a little dark spot that looks like the bowl poking out of his beard to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.