PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I do not personally believe the particles that caused the aroma of stale smoke or even nice smoke cause any health issues.
Thanks for the thorough response! I’ve started thinking about how smells work recently especially with regards to pipe smoking.

Can you say more about why you think this?

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Thanks for the thorough response! I’ve started thinking about how smells work recently especially with regards to pipe smoking.

Can you say more about why you think this?
Tobacco smokes contains hydrocarbons, oxygenated compounds, nitrogen compounds and other minor things. Further these can be broken down into amines, ethers, aldehydes, phenolics and so forth. All this sounds very ominous but a large amount of these are found in everything around us and in the air we all breathe everyday. Man made VOC and aromatic compounds are all around us. Think new car smell. Think scented candles. Think about that garlic and onions sauteed in the kitchen. All the same things in smoke.

The key is the exposure limit or OEL and length of exposure. There is far more exposure to these things breathing polluted air than smelling a lingering scent on a shirt worn while smoking a pipe.

The lingering molecules found on a smokers shirt would cause a noticable aroma but that perception is not related to the actual amount left on the shirt. One molecule could stink up the whole place in other words but create no real risk because it's under the exposure limit. There are far greater risks breathing polluted air which we cannot avoid.

Think of it this way. Why worry about the rain drop falling on your head when you are standing waist deep in the ocean?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Scentless: Losing Your Sense Of Smell May Make Life Riskier:

14E61126-4526-4EF1-863C-88B37ACDED56.jpeg

Reactions: woodsroad

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
The first time I tried a pipe 30ish years ago, I was disappointed that I couldn't smell the room note. I abandoned it day one when I realized that, but for a bit tried to figure out how to burn the tobacco without smoking it myself. I abandoned that idea pretty quickly also.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The first time I tried a pipe 30ish years ago, I was disappointed that I couldn't smell the room note. I abandoned it day one when I realized that, but for a bit tried to figure out how to burn the tobacco without smoking it myself. I abandoned that idea pretty quickly also.
A friend of mine does this. He has no interest in smoking, but aroma of burning pipe tobacco is such a strong and pleasant memory, he’ll simmer it over a small flame just to fill the room with memories.

Reactions: InWithBothFeet

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I was toying with the idea of hooking a fish tank bubbler to the pipe somehow. Lol.. That would not have worked out. I wonder now if a pinch of tobacco in a potpourri warmer would work.

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
What about one of those German smokers? I've only seen them at German Christmas Markets, but they're wooden dolls that you can use to burn incense or some sort of scented something. (Being very precise here I know!)