PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
. That Opera 44 with the tapered stem above is an N1 stamped original Opera 44 Perla Nera, those came before the silver bands.
That is very interesting. I remember in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s seeing one from Bob Hamlin with the silver band when he was still flying the grey market flag with Old Virginia Tobacco Company. I wanted it desperately, but he had promised to give someone else first dibs. They took it. By the time he brought in another one, I was more interested in other Castellos and less inclined to pay for silver. They were quite rare in the US.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I remember in the late 1980’s or early 1990’s seeing one from Bob Hamlin with the silver band when he was still flying the grey market flag with Old Virginia Tobacco Company. I wanted it desperately, but he had promised to give someone else first dibs. They took it. By the time he brought in another one, I was more interested in other Castellos and less inclined to pay for silver. They were quite rare in the US.

Darn it Dan!!! Now I want one! It’s never finished. Remember when I once told you “Boat”?

Oct 7, 2016
Darn it Dan!!! Now I want one! It’s never finished. Remember when I once told you “Boat”?
Coppo’s boat? He does have a nice one, kept on Lake Como. We have all contributed, some more than others, some more recently than others.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

This has to be the best collection of Opera's I've ever seen... and Castello to boot. Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

@npod Neal, now that you have raised my interest in unhealthy amounts in the Opera 44, I want to say that I am a virgo and we virgins tend to obsess over new things, hobbies and stuff.
Can you please explain the importance, difference etc etc between saddle stem 44 and taper stem 44 as 95% of your collection comprises of saddle bits. Is it an aesthetics preference or is there something deeper going on when it comes to collecting expensive pieces of wood.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Chris,
The original Dunhill Opera pipes had tapered stems with either white or silver bands. The bowls were oval, the chamber was oval. Dark finish.
The original Castello Opera pipes also had tapered stems with either white or silver bands, but generally white. The bowls were oval, the chamber was round.
(Important): The original Castello Opera pipes were ALL Perla Nera finish. AND (important): ALL Perla Nera finishes were ONLY on the Opera pipes. Later, in the late 80s or early 90s the Opera pipes came in all finishes and colors and Perla Nera finish was also extended to all pipe shapes.
Around this time the stems became almost universally (not always though, as is common with Castello) became saddle stems and the band became white (again usually, not always).
I personally love Lovat shapes! I love saddle stems. They are comfortable. The Opera 44 is similar to a Lovat, but of course more of a pot/billiard in general. That saddle stem works well, is super easy to clench, and for a Castello it is one of their stems that are actually comfortable.
And as said above, that oval bowl is fantastic for travel, or yes even for tucking away in an opera jacket pocket. It really fits well in cases due to the oval shape.

Oct 7, 2016
Later, in the late 80s or early 90s the Opera pipes came in all finishes and colors and Perla Nera finish was also extended to all pipe shapes.
I am reasonably certain it was the early to middish 90’s before this change was made, but that is only a minor quibble with your excellent history lesson.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
What an exquisite collection!
:clap:
I'm a big fan of a focused, single(similar) shape pipe collections. I get a kick out of folks like ChasingEmbers' finding a shape like Savinelli's 904/9004 and doubling down on it. I just left the thread with donjgiles' stunning row of Sav 402s. There was a female member here (while I was an unregistered lurker) who'd gathered a very attractive set of 1/4 bent apples (can't remember the make); she even managed to obtain a manufacturer's display for that shape to hold them all. My current active rotation is all one shape ...
... Not nearly on this scale, though. Just exceptional! Thanks for sharing this!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I am reasonably certain it was the early to middish 90’s before this change was made, but that is only a minor quibble with your excellent history lesson.

That is true. I just gave a range to cover myself, but it was in the 90's (ish) era for sure.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And a few people have asked to see the underside of the Pi rusticated and Le Dune pipes. Here ya go.
2NRP9Jx.jpg

X76bVjv.jpg

N1XZ4J0.jpg

QdBcElk.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
You, sir, need a poker. And I don't mean a pipe ;)
Jokes aside, stunning stunning stunning collection. Not only is it impressive; it will now serve as a priceless resource/reference for window shopping Castello finishes. I've been eyeing an "Armadillo" 55 recently but the seller unfortunately does not have an affinity for photography. I curse you and your post for potentially pushing me over the edge.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I can't think of a single finish I admire more than the aristocratica, and yours is one of the most splendid ones I've ever seen. Super jealous!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Neil, great pics as always. Now how about showing us your Bo Nordhs and Teddy Eagles. Don't be holding out on us, oh yeah how about those Nanna Ivarsson pipes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Teddy Eagles. Don't be holding out on us, oh yeah how about those Nanna Ivarsson pipes.
Harris, don’t feed the wild animals, this is a Castello thread. We wouldn’t want to offend the Italians.
But here’s some fresh meat to satiate your request.
Teddy Eagle

kszs9C1.jpg

Nanna

WtgPPwL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.