http://www.greatnorthernpipeclub.org/newcombe.pdf
And then the ball goes back to Hanna:

http://www.greatnorthernpipeclub.org/bamboozled.pdf

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
It is all circular.
My $15 Kaywoodie was a (based on inflation) a $60-70 pipe when it was sold in 1937.
Yet, if it is suggested that someone purchase a $15 estate Kaywoodie pipe as a "beginners pipe", some will say "no sense in that, save up your money and buy one of the lower end Petersons" (which run about $60-70).
In actuality, I would think there is more chance of consistency in purchasing a "machine made pipe" over a handmade.
You might get a better smoking pipe in purchasing a hand made or custom, but you might not.
But I would say that most, for example, Adjustomatic pipes smoke very similarly across the shapes and sizes. You may or may not "like the smoke", but it will be consistent.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Thank you Xray for sharing those links, so that I could read the actual polemic.
Hanna seems to be well enamored of his own words. Little more than words there, pumping his own image so that his opinion turns to fact.
There are these debates on any kind of lifestyle forum. From wine to cars. From watches to sport gear. As many opinions as forum members...

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I know that I have abandoned the philosophy that I would rather have a rack full of average pipes than a handfull of high quality pipes and have focused my attention towards the higher end pipes in my recent pad searching. Am I doing so because I seeking a higher status than the pipe smoker next to me? Nay. I am doing so because I want every pipe to be as consistent as the one Dunhill

Well said, sir. I've really been rethinking my position on what I buy lately. I'm the kind of guy who buys all my pants at somewhere like Ross and I just wear cheap T-shirts most of the time. I've been reading a lot of financial and investment books, articles, and blogs lately. One thing I found very surprising, even on the craziest of them where they talk about living for months or even years on things that cost no more than lentil soup, is that they all recommend buying good quality clothes (especially shoes). They said that better quality, while costing significantly more, will typically last so much longer than the cheap stuff that it actually saves you money in the long run. Couple that with the fact that most of that stuff is made to be repaired instead of just discarded and the fact that higher end clothing will typically fit, look, and feel better then it's just an all around good bargain. I don't see how this differs so much from pipes. You buy something that's comfortable, well engineered, and pleasing to the eye and it will probably last longer and you'll get more enjoyment while you have it. Plus, if I spend more money on something I'm more likely to go above and beyond with regard to it's care and upkeep.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Well said nsfisher. Pride of ownership is something unique to us pipers in the tobacco world. What a boring and bland world it would be if all people and pipes were the same. From what I see the cob smoker is just as passionate about his pipe as the Dunhill or other high end pipemen so that is the good thing I think it all boils down to.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Corn cobs outsmoke the majority of expensive briar pipes and they only cost a few dollars. A Peterson System Pipe will smoke like a cob and feel like a briar for just shy of $100 new.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
shrugs. a pipe is a pipe. If it functions and you know how to use it -- it could be made out of bone as far as I'm concerned. Some of these posts about aesthetics and such to justify the stroking of ego because one purchased a higher end pipe. It just isn't that important.

Doesn't matter if it's a cob or a top of the line *stateyourfavoritebrandname*. What a crock. Sometimes these threads are so predictable it's nauseating.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Corn cobs outsmoke the majority of expensive briar pipes..."
Cobs provide a good, inexpensive smoke. But given their cheap bits, shanks that extend into the bowl, and limited lifespan I don't agree with your statement.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
What a crock. Sometimes these threads are so predictable it's nauseating.
Sorry you feel that way wolfscout, but discussing topics such as this, is one reason we spend time here, isn't it? After all, opinions do make the world go round. What a boring world we would live in if everyone had the same opinion on everything. Main thing, Mate, is to enjoy your time here.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 nsfisher
@wolfscout this is indeed beating a dead horse but interesting to see what others think. Personally I am the "quality over quantity" type, not in pipes but in just about everything.
Let's not confuse "cheap" with "inexpensive" or "good value for the money".

Status
Not open for further replies.