PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Let's not be too touchy here. O/P stated he did not intend to offend. There are sacred cows, and these are some examples. Criticize a sacred cow blend and get flamed. In the immortal words of the Joker, "Why so serious? "

Don't sweat it Catjockey. I mentioned that I don't like C&D Virginias... at all, and I end up with hate mail, posts acussing me of be a McClelland patsy, and a C&D basher. But, Yet I mention that I do love C&D Burleys, with over 600 tins of their Burley, latakias, and even a few Burley/Va blends. But, if I don't like something, clearly something is wrong with me... the jury is still out though on whether something is wrong with me,

Just take it all with a sense of humor, like taking a jab at your favorite sportsball team, or NASCAR driver. :puffy:

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
My picks of most overrated would include:
Anything that my regular supplier doesn't sell.
Anything outside of my budget
Anything that someone else raves about that I haven't tried yet
SG 1792 Flake - that stuff is grim!
:nana:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Always interesting how a couple of words can change peoples perception. If this thread was title "My Review of 3 Popular Tobaccos" it likely would have been better received.
That being said, it doesn't really matter. It's the same thing regardless of the title. A personal review of 3 tobaccos. That they happen to be sacred cows to some people is irrelevant.
People shouldn't be getting their panties in a bunch just because the guy has an opinion.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's the concept of something being "overrated" and conflating that with the quality of the product that I find odd. As for the blends themselves, I could care less. None of them are regular favorites of mine, and I hold no strong opinions on them.
Except for Royal Yacht. That one is just so overrated.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Bravo, wyfbane, took the words right out of my mouth.
And yes ash, shades of deju vu isn't it!
The problem with threads like this is that at best, they are so broad and subjective that you eventually end up with a list of 100 blends as either the most over-rated or the most under-rated. Which is to say--- anything.
So now the OP will come on here and (insert loop please) begin telling us we are:
(your choice)
too touchy.
too sensitive.
snobs.

Fantastic, the dog put you out, Toob. I was getting worried. :puffy:

Hey, you can't be a proper "snob" without hating a few blends. Luckily, if less people buy these three blends, it makes it easier to find. We could use about a thousand more people hating FVF and Escudo to get them to give it a huge sale online. So, this post gets my blessing. You hate FVF, fantastic! You hate Escudo, wonderful. Others should just stay away from them and stick to Whatever it is that you smoke. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A writing mentor once told me to never begin a sentence with "I think" or "in my opinion." The advice is good: everything is interpretation and contingent upon the individual. The terms "subjective" and "objective" are ludicrous in themselves.
For example, some people may not have realized the sheer genius, power and majesty of Royal Yacht because it clashes with their personal biology or eating habits. They may not yet be ready for it. They may never be. And yet, it is what it is, and for those who have seen the excellence, there is no returning to denial of the beauty of the 'Yacht.
That being said, I agree on Escudo. It's breakfast cereal in tobacco form. But FVF I recall being quite good once one mixed in enough Burley.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Yes, everyone hates something. I've bought a few that others raved about but I hated when I tried them myself. So were they their too over-rated or my too under-rated? But just because I didn't like them, I'm open that it could be the blend or me. Since others like them, I keep them and try approaching them other ways till I figure out how to like them too.
Every blend out there, even Cptn. Blk Grape, was created by someone who thought it good. And to someone it is.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You have to roast the turd at 220 F for three hours to bring out the honey and fresh cut grain flavors. If you cook it too long, it starts to taste like Golden Sliced.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Anyone who calls FVF and Escudo overrated can go ride a cat.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Listen brah, at least become a senior member before you start such a ballsy thread, and maybe put a trigger warning in the title, this is an Internet safe space

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Anyone who calls FVF and Escudo overrated can go ride a cat.
Hey! That is not fair to the cat!
funny-cat-faces-20.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.