Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh.... that's a video. puffy

For years now, when I take a shower, I open the small window in my shower to let the steam out, and years ago a chickadee that was building a nest under the awning of that window would give me one of his twerps, so I started making that sound back at him. Then, we did this every morning, now generations later for that bird, I still twerp at his kids, grandkids, whatever, and they twerp back at me. I'm not sure what we are saying, but the birds seem to kick a kick out of it, and if they aren't there to twerp back, I always wonder what they're doing. But, they are about the yard year round.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013

For years now, when I take a shower, I open the small window in my shower to let the steam out, and years ago a chickadee that was building a nest under the awning of that window would give me one of his twerps, so I started making that sound back at him. Then, we did this every morning, now generations later for that bird, I still twerp at his kids, grandkids, whatever, and they twerp back at me. I'm not sure what we are saying, but the birds seem to kick a kick out of it, and if they aren't there to twerp back, I always wonder what they're doing. But, they are about the yard year round.
The other day I saw a chickadee and he was singing in-a-gadda-da-vida. Now I know why.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

birds will sometimes jam along call and response style if you play an instrument outdoors. Honestly most of the time it feels musical and playful less then explicit and meaningful. They're pretty jazz about it is what I am saying.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've tried talking with crows, and they seem to be good conversationalists. They're smart, live in big family groups, and the young adults help raise the young before being parents. If you feed them, sometimes they will drop little bright objects as gifts in return. Sounds farfetched, but once you are around them, it doesn't. We don't have as many mockingbirds in N.C. as we used to, but they are real virtuosos, and often combine song with doing back flips on the top of light poles and such. They can do a whole catalog of birdcalls. I believe the current thinking is that birds are the surviving ancestors of dinosaurs, warm blooded but egg-laying.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Dylan, Dylan, Dylan Dylan Dylan.
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.